Verizon's CFO Says that "unlimited" is "just a word" and "doesn't mean anything."

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Sep 21, 2012.

1. jseah

jseah Active Member

Ratings:
    +25
    The last time I was in a Verizon store, the rep asked me if I was interested in switching to shared everything. I told her that I had 5 smartphone lines, all with unlimited data, and what she thought I would say. She gave me a knowing look, and turned and walked away.

2. liftedplane

liftedplane Silver Member

Ratings:
    +550
    Comcast actually has a data cap already, it's something like 200gb a month. Read the fine print. And satellite internet providers have always had their fair access/use policy.

Sent from my frozenly delicious bionic.

3. huskur

huskur Senior Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Comcast is 250GB

4. geoff5093

geoff5093 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +29
    The past few months Comcast has temporarily lifted the data cap, not sure why. I've gone over my cap a few times, so it's not as strict as mobile carriers are, however I'm sure if you hit 500GB in a month they are going to give you a warning.

5. GoldLock

GoldLock New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm just stating the facts, I'm not defending Verizon. If you read my post you'll note that I'm telling you why they did it, I'm not justifying their actions. Flat out, they are out to get money, and lots of it.

6. GoldLock

GoldLock New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I agree with you Indythinker, and I can come off sarcastic sometimes. A better test could've been multiple lines and liberal modern usage to really see how much the truly modern family would use. When I said abusing I'm coming from the way VZW looks at "abuse". But screw VZW for this reason, that they look at anything past 2GB as abuse. The real abuse comes from those nuking a freaking 1TB of data/month. And its real fact that they slow down the all hailed superfast 4G LTE network VZW boasts. That kind if usage really does affect everyone else using smartphones. You guys (indythinker & family) could be considered avid users, and if I actually met you in the store I'd be happy that you guys are really getting into your first smartphone experience. Can't control the prices though, lol.

7. Crf450r420

Crf450r420 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I wish I had time to read all of the post, but can't. I do regret being respectful when I had unlimited. I have Tasker set to turn on wifi everywhere I can get a wifi connection, so when I'm doing my normal deal. I probably only use 1.5GB. Now if I go to the doctor or somewhere and watch some netflix it will get over 2GB, but if I go on vacation somewhere I will use a lot more and that was what unlimited was for me. It was knowing I wouldn't get a $60 overage charge on my limited trips from my home area. Now I will have to monitor and up my plan to cover it and that doesn't sound like it adds to the relaxing I want to do on vacation.

There are so many other things they could do to make this a much more reasonable change. First of all it should be a tiered plan. So the more you buy the more you get for you money just as cell phone plans have been for 16 years, but it isn't. Second, why should I have to buy data I don't use or worry about monitoring my plan. How about I approve up to $100 and they put me on the plan I need each month and contact me if I get the 10GB limit I set. Then I can approve the next step and I don't have the feeling I'm getting screwed. Third, treat your VIP customers with respect and bonuses. I've been with these jackasses for 10 years now and now that mean nothing when it comes to plans, phone, and upgrades. My main line no longer gets earlier upgrade than the other lines, so the fact that I pay the entire bill means nothing. Last one I can think of at the moment. I now get speeds of almost 20GB/s at home and that is slower than my 40GB/s home service, but it's enough that I would for the first time think about only using wireless for data. That means I could drop my home service and add to my mobile to cover everything, but at the current pricing it would cost me 10 times as much or more, so that isn't going to happen and that is money Verizon will be losing any chance of getting from me. Oh that and the fact that I am for the first time thinking I will be going to a new provider next time.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SquireSCA

SquireSCA Silver Member

Ratings:
    +280
    In a nutshell, VZW charged more for Unlimited plans because at the time, they knew that nobody would use that much, the technology at the phone level just wasn't there.

It would be like the government setting "no speed limit" on interstates, knowing that the road only contained economy cars that struggle to hit even 100mph and that most drivers would chose to not drive that fast anyway... very easy to say "no limits" when most people don't have the means or desire to test that.

But a few years later tons of people start showing up in Ferrari's and Veyrons and suddenly they realize that people can take advantage of "unlimited speed limits" and they have to start taking steps to cut that back. In the traffic case, it is for safety, in VZW's it is purely profit.

It's easy to charge people a premium for something that they can't really take advantage of. But once they can, suddenly it isn't as much of a cash cow for them and they start scaling back the service and increasing the price.

It's not about you the customers, it's about the stock holders. They only care about you to the extent that they hope that enough of you don't leave and upset the investors. Other than that, they don't care if you live or die, let alone enjoy their network. You are fodder for their bottom line, nothing more.

9. Crf450r420

Crf450r420 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    They should have just charged more for the unlimited plan and offer lower plans for those that didn't see it cost effective to pay the premium. This would have upset way less people and let people of all levels be at least ok with the deal. I guess I'll just throw more money at my plan and not worry for now.

I noticed ATT just switched to a very similar looking plan as if they talked about this together.

10. gotechgs

gotechgs New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    "anything?"

When my daughter "had" to upgrade to an iphone, we unknowingly (and wasn't advised by the V-rep) lost unlimited data on her phone. Loosing unlimited meant $30 in overage data use to me the past two months. What a stupid statement to make.

11. geoff5093

geoff5093 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +29
    I'm surprised they didn't mention it to you.

12. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Senior Member

Ratings:
    +215
    I've had consistently positive experiences with VZW customer service -- never once had to whine, cry, raise my voice (I wouldn't really LOL). I would very firmly explain what happened, and that you want the option to restore the unlimited plan on her phone. I think several have mentioned on this thread that "Verizon will say it isn't possible, but just persist."

I'm not sure what the consumer protection laws are in this case, but if the rep failed to mention the loss of unlimited, you have some leverage. At the very least they have to "make you whole," i.e., return you to the previous contract. Of course, you won't get the iPhone + unlimited: either your daughter goes back to her previous phone, or you negotiate with Verizon to pay full price on it (ouch). Those are now the terms since the Share plans went into effect and think about it, you'll either pay for the data overages for the next 2ish years, or you'll pay full price on the iPhone. Either way, if you want that phone, you pay.

-Matt

Search tags for this page
att usage penalty
homefusion hack
how come my verizon phone says i only have exceeded my text

how to get unlimited data on verizon hack

remove verizon droid bionic fdr code to use inwalmart family
unlimited data verizon hack
unlimited data verizon hack s4

verizon ceo unlimited data just number

verizon data hack

verizon unlimited data hack