Verizon's 'Certified Like New Program' Warranty Exchange Gets New Stricter Policies

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The fee is charged if you send in a device that has damage not covered by the warranty. What is vague about that?

Cracked or chipped screen? Charge
Cracked or dented housing? Charge
Moisture in the phone? Charge
Scratched paint? No charge

This is what happens when people trust "leaked" information.

Sent from my DROIDX

A warranty replacement (free) means there was/is something wrong with the device from the manufacturers standpoint. No?

So if these standards are being applied to the device being warrantied that's crap.

and the summary says scratches are reason to charge... last I knew a scratch can be considered a flaw. Why else would there be a measured requirement?

CLNR Cosmetic Standard Summary:

No blemishes are permitted on front surfaces such as the touch screen, keyboard
No more than two flaws, which must be less than 5mm in length, are permitted on other surfaces
No flaws or defects on lens
No dust, dirt, or fibers under lens
Ports must be free of foreign material and corrosion, be in operating condition, and have the plugs in place if applicable

For the FOURTH TIME.
The "cosmetic standards" are for the devices VERIZON SHIPS OUT. NOT YOUR DEVICE.

Are you intentionally ignoring this every time I write it?

Sent from my DROIDX

No. Why is there a charge to the customer if the standards are for VZW shipping out devices? Either the $299 was just thrown into that article to rile everyone up, or what you're saying makes no sense. If the standard is for VZW why is the customer penalized?
By shipping "OUT" I assume you mean to the warehouses... in which case the device was someone's prior... so it would be MY device.

onsht1kll

Reaction score
A warranty replacement (free) means there was/is something wrong with the device from the manufacturers standpoint. No?

So if these standards are being applied to the device being warrantied that's crap.

and the summary says scratches are reason to charge... last I knew a scratch can be considered a flaw. Why else would there be a measured requirement?

No more than two flaws, which must be less than 5mm in length, are permitted on other surfaces
Ports must be free of foreign material and corrosion, be in operating condition, and have the plugs in place if applicable

For the FOURTH TIME.
The "cosmetic standards" are for the devices VERIZON SHIPS OUT. NOT YOUR DEVICE.

Sent from my DROIDX

No. Why is there a charge to the customer if the standards are for VZW shipping out devices? Either the $299 was just thrown into that article to rile everyone up, or what you're saying makes no sense. If the standard is for VZW why is the customer penalized?
By shipping "OUT" I assume you mean to the warehouses... in which case the device was someone's prior... so it would be MY device.

No he's talking about that's the standard the warehouse puts on phones they ship to Verizon as replacements .. the warehouse has a similar list they use to determine if a phone has been abused and if abused a $299 charge applies

Sent from my Thunderbolt using DroidForums app

jaycemiskel

Reaction score

For the FOURTH TIME.

Sent from my DROIDX

Exactly. Why would they even put the 299 in there if we're not going to have to pay it. It makes NO sense.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
For the FOURTH TIME.

Sent from my DROIDX

No he's talking about that's the standard the warehouse puts on phones they ship to Verizon as replacements .. the warehouse has a similar list they use to determine if a phone has been abused and if abused a $299 charge applies

So Verizon is the one that will be charged? Not the customer?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If these standards are for phones moving between VZW and the warehouses.... why is the customer being charged? No one has sufficiently answered this question yet.

I understand you guys saying the standards are for devices VZW ships OUT, but that device was someone's at some point but it was returned... hence it being shipped OUT to a refurb warehouse. So saying these standards don't apply to our phones makes no sense.

vatothe0

Reaction score
I'm done.

Either I'm being trolled, or there is no hope of this being understood by the posters here.

Sent from my DROIDX

onsht1kll

Reaction score

Yes the warehouse is a 3rd party that refurbishes phones .. when u or Verizon ships a defective phone to them they refurb it and send it back to Verizon .. if the phone is damaged they charge Verizon then Verizon in turn charges you .. people would send back damaged phones and the warehouse would charge Verizon but Verizon never charged the customer .. now they are

onsht1kll

Reaction score
When the warehouse refurbs a phone they reuse parts of the old phone .. for the phone to be sent back to Verizon it needs to meet a certain standard .. like the list posted earlier .. on the flip side .. the warehouse uses a list very similar to the list posted earlier to determine whether a phone is abused or not .. if abused u get charged $299

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Yes the warehouse is a 3rd party that refurbishes phones .. when u or Verizon ships a defective phone to them they refurb it and send it back to Verizon .. if the phone is damaged they charge Verizon then Verizon in turn charges you .. people would send back damaged phones and the warehouse would charge Verizon but Verizon never charged the customer .. now they are

Ok. This makes sense as to the why.

Anyone know what the 'standards' were before since they're changing?
... because these standards are ridiculous.

I was not aware VZW was charged.

Cmdates2991

Reaction score
I haven't been on in awhile but I believe I can explain what vatothe0 is saying. So everyone take a deep breath.

What he is saying is that the CLNR Cosmetic Standard Summary is for devices Verizon must ship out. From now on all devices sent out by Verizon must meet this standard.

BUT on the other side if you send back a device that does not meet a SEPARATE standard of device condition you will be charged. ie Cracked or chipped screen, Cracked or dented housing, Moisture in the phone

That is what vatothe0. Calm down friends.

onsht1kll

Reaction score

Ok. This makes sense as to the why.

Anyone know what the 'standards' were before since they're changing?
... because these standards are ridiculous.

I was not aware VZW was charged.

From what I hear it is very similar to the list posted earlier .. and I hear the warehouse will take pics and send them to the customer outlining why they are being charged

onsht1kll

Reaction score
I haven't been on in awhile but I believe I can explain what vatothe0 is saying. So everyone take a deep breath.

What he is saying is that the CLNR Cosmetic Standard Summary is for devices Verizon must ship out. From now on all devices sent out by Verizon must meet this standard.

BUT on the other side if you send back a device that does not meet a SEPARATE standard of device condition you will be charged. ie Cracked or chipped screen, Cracked or dented housing, Moisture in the phone

He just needed to explain it better .. from what I hear abuse also includes scratches too

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Everyone is calm.

What doesn't jive is this 'standard' being introduced for VZW to ship devices but the customer enduring the charge relating to these standards if there is indeed a separate set of standards for customer returns.

onsht1kll

Reaction score

Everyone is calm.

What doesn't jive is this 'standard' being introduced for VZW to ship devices but the customer enduring the charge relating to these standards if there is indeed a separate set of standards for customer returns.

That's what the VZW managers wanted to find out when they were denied the tour .. what constitutes abuse