Verizon Wireless's 4G Speeds Doc Leaked

Discussion in 'Android News' started by WenWM, Oct 28, 2010.

1. WenWM

WenWM Premium Member Premium Member

[​IMG]
    Sorry for bring this to you late but we just have to touch on this topic. Have you ever wondered why Verizon Wireless went with LTE rather than any of the other possible mobile technology out there? Well if you inspect the picture above it seems they were smarter than Sprint with their choice in technology because those speeds are ridiculous and seriously impressive.

Our next generation device will supposedly receive a max of 300 Mb/sec download speeds with a great 75 Mb/sec upload speed. Now with that kind of speed, you can do just about anything in seconds and still be ahead of your laptop. Tethering would surpass Wi-Fi and Verizon’s new motto “Rule the air” will make complete sense.

Here is the information:

This is all great and we are happy that XDA shared with us. This is sadly just part of the 200+ pages of documents they received but to be honest, I don’t want to be them right now when they have to go through file and documents that are endless.

For fun, here is some more technical info:

So guy, anything else that our beloved big red can provide for you to feel better? In all seriousness, I am glad to see Verizon working hard on being the fastest 4G network in America, and while you will never get to the 300 a sec speed, you will get pretty close.
    Let us know what you think below.
    News Via: XDA
  2. KingTee

KingTee New Member

And its going to cost both of my legs and my left arm lol.
  3. wmnomore

wmnomore New Member

^OMG. Funniest. Thing. Ever.
  4. FranklinWalker

FranklinWalker New Member

4G is amazing
  5. USCChem

USCChem New Member

Wow, that's 37.5MB/s. (I have trouble with knowing how much bit measurements actually are, lol.)

If that's really what the true speed will be, then that's amazing and I can't wait. It seems unrealistically fast, but I guess it is a brand new technology so I guess it's possible!
  6. whiddles

whiddles New Member

nice numbers is right but I thought I read somewhere that the numbers for the average user will be like 80/10
  7. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Peak speeds with basically no traffic.

The WimaxII(?) standard is 100mp/s d/l. Still only 1/3 the speed of what this claims for LTE, but keep in mind Sprint's 4G service is hitting, what, like 5meg/s d/l? VZW has claimed 5-12mbps d/l with LTE.

Is it mostly just bandwidth/capacity preventing 300 mbps? I don't know all the technicalities, but at 50mbps you can stream blueray video.

The day will come eventually when you have a standalone wireless device for the home that does VoIP, cable and internet. Consider I have no land line and pay @ $130 a month for cable and broadband with hi-def DVR service. As partnerships go, Google & VZW look like a real juggernaut.
  8. WenWM

No,
    Wimax I, the version sprint uses has something like that. The Wimax II is much faster than that. Didn't you see the post we had about it, where Samsung achieved around 330mp/s without much work... and the max being around 700mb/sec. WiMax 2 Scoffs At LTE, Samsung Demo Takes The Speed Crown All While Streaming Multiple HD Sources Without Breaking A Sweat | Android News, Reviews, Applications, Games, Phones, Devices, Tips, Mods, Videos, Podcasts - Android Police
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  9. itzkr0me

itzkr0me New Member

come on... It's not 300MB/s it's MEGA BITS PER SECOND.

You're looking at a 20meg connection, which itself is rather fast.
  10. WenWM

Yes,
    I just found that one out... Word play sucks. :)
  11. bamfsig45

bamfsig45 New Member

Bit and Byte a huge difference.

eight bits equal one byte
  12. s13_slider

s13_slider New Member

I think the only reason they use megaBIT instead of megaBYTE is because they can advertise a larger number for the connection speeds. My 20Mbps Qwest connection really boils down to 2.5MBps. Which seems more appealing right off the bat?
  13. grimley

grimley New Member

14. Pandemic187

Pandemic187 New Member

Yep...so if the speed is in BITS per second, you have to divide by 8 to get the BYTES per second. Hence the poster who said 300 bits/sec = 37.5 bytes/sec. And, as the OP mentioned, 37.5 is the theoretical speed, not what we'll actually see.
  15. Pandemic187

Pandemic187 New Member

37.5 megabytes/sec, not bytes/sec, rather. Damn lack of editing on news threads.
  16. BobFr

BobFr New Member

Networking folks always use bits and bits/second instead of bytes. As one of these strange networking guys, I always think in bits and have to think "multiply by 8" when I see bytes to get a frame of reference in bits.:)
  17. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

Yeah i agree with you on that one. I do also agree that alot of companies use numbers as selling points, just as TV makers boast #s of things that don't matter but they are huge numbers so it makes the TV look better. (Same thing different argument)

Yeah most of the time when working with what they say a theoretical max of something is you always divide by 50% and you will get close to what you might see as a max on the device. So if they say you will get 300Mbps which is 37.5 MBps, halving gets you to 18.75 which is most likely the max any of us will see for along time. That's why verizon is saying to "expect" 5-12 MBps, which is the likely numbers that the majority will see.
  18. Detonation

Detonation New Member

Either way thats still very fast. My high speed home internet (time warner's road runner) is 8Mbps/512Kbps (so around 1MB download and 64KB upload) which still only a fraction of the "expected" speed.
  19. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

By no means did i mean to say that it was going to be slow. The complete opposite is what i believe. It will be fast, also it might be a blow to the cable/dsl business if it catches on.

One of the things i've seen thrown around quite a bit is that even with wireless technology people would still love to be able to hook up 2-3 computers in their homes with the devices / device (depending if it was like MiFi) and get 5-12 down with a pretty low ping rate. All that without having to have a router or a cable box or have a tech come out and do something just to get it to work.
  20. d1same

d1same New Member

I just want to know how much extra we have to pay for it!?