Verizon Wireless to Pay Up to $90 Million in Refunds

samiusmc

Reaction score
WASHINGTON – Verizon Wireless said Sunday it will pay up to $90 million in refunds to 15 million cell phone customers who were wrongly charged for data sessions or Internet use, one of the largest-ever customer refunds by a telecommunications company.

The company’s statement came as Verizon Wireless held talks with the Federal Communications Commission about complaints of unauthorized charges and after questions from about a possible settlement of an F.C.C. investigation into the issue.

Verizon said in its statement that 15 million customers either will receive either credits ranging from $2 to $6 on their October or November bills or, in the case of former customers, refund checks.

In its statement, Verizon Wireless said that the charges affected customers who did not have data usage plans but who were nevertheless billed because of data exchanges initiated by software built into their phones or because of mistaken charges for inadvertent episodes of Web access.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/04/technology/04webphone.html?_r=1&hp

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Verizon had been sneaking these charges in for years... nice to see them finally paying it back.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Verizon giving back money instead of trying to get it? Wow.

everstar80

Reaction score
I think maybe they should be given a free month of service or something to show that when they make a mistake then they will do anything to make it up to you. Doubt it will ever happen though.

mtz_gto

Reaction score
I think maybe they should be given a free month of service or something to show that when they make a mistake then they will do anything to make it up to you. Doubt it will ever happen though.

lol then they would be losing 90 Billion...

Jmart922

Reaction score
Good take that Verizon, you offer great reception, but damn these corporate money hungry bastards, good to see them reach into their own pockets and reach deep

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
2 to 6 dollars to repay accidental data charges? I had what they describe happen to me. I eventually got it all back, but it took days of customer serviceless idiots to get it. 6 bucks wouldn't come close to compensating for my wasted time