Verizon Wireless changing to Verizon this Sunday, massive new branding campaign plann

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
If you read the blog update, they indicate that there will be no rebranding of the name, just the use of new logos that lack the "wireless" part.

Well I think that's good.. would be to confusing.

mec6250

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
"I always kind of wondered why it was Verizon Wireless"

It was Verizon "Wireless" as opposed to the Verizon Land line telephone company. Now that Verizon is selling off much of its landline business, why keep the "wireless"? They will be a mobile and FIOS company with very little left in the land line realm over time.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I hope they dont sell off all their landline business. Some ppl share their landline/fax number either thru their PC modem or a fax machine. Its almost impossible to fax with the home phone line connected to the cable modem.

When the home phone is ran thru the cable modem, (in my case, and I HATE the 2 cable companies I used switched to this) u can send faxes, but cant receive them.

Maybe it can work with a seperate line just for faxing I dont kow. But for ppl that need spot fax service, u gotta go thru hoops: email/fax service that has a special number tied into your email address, and other online faxing services.

I think it's more an issue that bringing the Iphone to Verizon would single-handedly cannibalize the Verizon Android phone market. The Iphone has become THE phone for a lot of businesses, colleges, hospitals, etc. To be an RA at my old college you needed an Iphone for the RA program or you weren't eligible. Our nurses at the Hospital all use Iphones that are provided by the hospital- HECK... my last semester of medical school required an laptop or mobile computing device that could run Mac OS. REQUIRED.

Just a random figure, but I'll be bold enough to guess that 60-70% of Verizon users with smartphones would switch to the Iphone within 12 months if it was available to them.

Especially when Blackberry and Palm users find out the iPhone does Desktop Active Sync. Although the Droid X is supposed to support this now too. I wonder do the Inc and EVO do? It would be a good idea for all Android phones to be able to do this. Blackberry owners have a legitimate complaint.

I wonder about WinMo users switching tho....lol

Last edited:

midnightlouise

Reaction score
Just a random figure, but I'll be bold enough to guess that 60-70% of Verizon users with smartphones would switch to the Iphone within 12 months if it was available to them.

I don't know about all that...but it's fun to speculate! This is one Verizon user who would not switch to an iPhone unless someone handed it to me free and offered to pay the bill. Not a fan of MAC...unless you mean cosmetics ;)

zMd113

Reaction score
I agree that a lot of people would switch from Droid to iPhone if given the chance to stay on Verison, (more like 25%-30%) but I also believe a lot of iPhone users would switch to an Android phone as well. I think the HTC Aria is the first step in that direction. But of course no one will be able to take full advantage of it because of AT&T. And I agree with another poster who said Apple is the new Micro$oft.

Snoking

Reaction score
"I always kind of wondered why it was Verizon Wireless"

It was Verizon "Wireless" as opposed to the Verizon Land line telephone company. Now that Verizon is selling off much of its landline business, why keep the "wireless"? They will be a mobile and FIOS company with very little left in the land line realm over time.

Bingo, July 1st Frontier Communications takes over Verizon's land lines in 14 States, leaving only a small Land line presence in the NE. Chris

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Actually, I think Apple is being Apple. I think Google is becoming Microsoft. PC, IMO, is still a better value than Mac and I think a large number of consumers realize this. Just like in grad school I think we had offers for discounts on a Mac. Most went with PC. Again, in terms of value and overall capability, same argument - android > apple.

There will always be a market for the IPhone, but as people (especially the teenagers) become more android-literate and apps improve, it's going to be a no-brainer.

The Google and VZW partnership is game changing - note especially that neither relies on nor cares about the handsets, as far as making money. A handset war only benefits both.

VZW with FIOS and 3G/LTE has the pipes for all your communication needs (if they ditch land lines they'll have another box ready fiberoptic solution like VoIP or). I guess AT&T does, too, but it seems to be a really weak competitor to VZW.

If FIOS was in my area, it would be an no-brainer. Ignoring any potential future discount with cell incorporated in that plan, FIOS right now offers cable & Internet $20-$30 cheaper than I get from Cox, with a land line thrown in for free. One-stop shopping for those services, at those prices, is a huge incentive to have VZW, and well there's no IPhone on VZW.

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I agree that a lot of people would switch from Droid to iPhone if given the chance to stay on Verison, (more like 25%-30%) but I also believe a lot of iPhone users would switch to an Android phone as well.

From what I've seen, even many non-rooted Droid users are completely satisfied and would not seriously consider switching. I'd agree an IPhone alternative would seriously dent new android sales, but I think switching in either case is much lower. The phones are too similar in capability and function for most people to have any serious interest in learning a new OS, finding/installing/buying new apps, etc...

Of course, wait and see what Gingerbread is all about. If Google is able to give android more box-ready UI like the Iphone I might have to retract what I said about switching. I really equate the android vs. IPhone buy decision with PC vs. Mac, ignoring the 800lb gorilla in the room that is VZW. At this point, to me the android experience feels very much like a PC experience - I have to work harder but feel like I get better value.

NVash

Reaction score
I think it's more an issue that bringing the Iphone to Verizon would single-handedly cannibalize the Verizon Android phone market. The Iphone has become THE phone for a lot of businesses, colleges, hospitals, etc. To be an RA at my old college you needed an Iphone for the RA program or you weren't eligible. Our nurses at the Hospital all use Iphones that are provided by the hospital- HECK... my last semester of medical school required an laptop or mobile computing device that could run Mac OS. REQUIRED.

Im a little late to the party but theres a few things I want to say. First off alot of people in my college have iPhones. Second, Macs are REQUIRED at this college, its an Art school. Third, I have said Mac and I think its the biggest waste of a computer Ive ever seen. I want my old laptop back, this thing is entirely too expensive, especially when things go wrong.

Now about the last part, Id probably buy an iPhone if it was on Verizon. Why? To compare it to the Droid and finally determine which is a better phone. And itd be nice to switch up often.

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
verizon-rule-the-air.jpg

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3
God, I hope the no-iPhone-on-Verizon part is true. To quote Mr. Garrison from South Park, Apple, I say to thee: "You go to hell! You go to hell and you die!"