Verizon Wireless Blocks The Updating Of Apps They Feel Are Unauthorized

Status
Not open for further replies.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
But it isn't unlimited, you said so yourself.

I use on average, 500mb a month on my unlimited plan that I pay top dollar. And yet we all know people who use 10x that.

No, it is unlimited within the context defined in your contract. You want to define a different context and claim it's not unlimited. That's not how it works - you don't define the terms of the contract. Your home ISP or cable is not truly unlimited, either. For your household it is, but you can't pipe it out legally to your neighbors.

You have unlimited data ON YOUR PHONE. You can ignore that and argue unlimited means unlimited under every scenario imagineable, eventhough you were sold no such thing and even if you believed otherwise it doesn't matter.

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep it civil. I wouldn't want this thread to be closed down.

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!

Snow02

Reaction score
These threads are always the same handful of people rehashing the same things. I say lock it. I'm tired of seeing it in the feed, tbh.

JayR_

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
These threads are always the same handful of people rehashing the same things. I say lock it. I'm tired of seeing it in the feed, tbh.

Agreed..

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
No, it is unlimited within the context defined in your contract. You want to define a different context and claim it's not unlimited. That's not how it works - you don't define the terms of the contract. Your home ISP or cable is not truly unlimited, either. For your household it is, but you can't pipe it out legally to your neighbors.

You have unlimited data ON YOUR PHONE. You can ignore that and argue unlimited means unlimited under every scenario imagineable, eventhough you were sold no such thing and even if you believed otherwise it doesn't matter.

And cable used to be PER TV. It wasn't as we know it today, where you pay for the line and for each box. If you split it and sent the signal to other TV's, they could charge you more or terminate your service as a TOS violation. Sound familiar?

This too, will change.

REMilk

Reaction score
I will start off by saying that I occasionally tether, but only when I am somewhere that I do not have internet access for my laptop. At these times, I limit what I access, some work files, long email responses, etc. No streaming of video or audio on my laptop while tethered. I un-tether until an event, like a work email I receive on my Droid, indicates, I need to access the internet.

Unlimited is a misnomer in the real world. There is a hard mathematical limit on the bandwidth that cannot be exceeded in a day, week, month, whatever time limit you choose.

Does the old 80-20 rule come into play here? That is - are 80% of the resources (bandwidth) are used by 20% of the people?

I have been on the unlimited data plan for over 5 years. Over the past 5+ years, on Treo, Droid, and Droid 3, I have exceeded 5 gb exactly 1 time which basically was double my 2nd highest usage. Normally, I am right around 1.5 gb. I could be a lot higher, but I make a conscientious effort to use WiFi when possible.

I feel I have a right to unfettered access to the relatively small amount, compared to many, of fast bandwidth when I use it. If Verizon needs to throttle back folks that are using, in their estimation, an exorbitant amount of bandwidth, I FULL SUPPORT it.

Even when throttled back, you still have 'unlimited' internet access; it is just at a lower speed.

Remember, the language of the TOS is based on the internet usage on the phone, not on unlimited usage of the network.

Just my $2.00 worth, my thoughts are worth 100 times more than the old 2 cents.

These are my opinions, most likely, your will differ.

Bob

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I will start off by saying that I occasionally tether, but only when I am somewhere that I do not have internet access for my laptop. At these times, I limit what I access, some work files, long email responses, etc. No streaming of video or audio on my laptop while tethered. I un-tether until an event, like a work email I receive on my Droid, indicates, I need to access the internet.

Unlimited is a misnomer in the real world. There is a hard mathematical limit on the bandwidth that cannot be exceeded in a day, week, month, whatever time limit you choose.

Does the old 80-20 rule come into play here? That is - are 80% of the resources (bandwidth) are used by 20% of the people?

I have been on the unlimited data plan for over 5 years. Over the past 5+ years, on Treo, Droid, and Droid 3, I have exceeded 5 gb exactly 1 time which basically was double my 2nd highest usage. Normally, I am right around 1.5 gb. I could be a lot higher, but I make a conscientious effort to use WiFi when possible.

I feel I have a right to unfettered access to the relatively small amount, compared to many, of fast bandwidth when I use it. If Verizon needs to throttle back folks that are using, in their estimation, an exorbitant amount of bandwidth, I FULL SUPPORT it.

Even when throttled back, you still have 'unlimited' internet access; it is just at a lower speed.

Remember, the language of the TOS is based on the internet usage on the phone, not on unlimited usage of the network.

Just my $2.00 worth, my thoughts are worth 100 times more than the old 2 cents.

These are my opinions, most likely, your will differ.

Bob

This is something that the people who tether fail to realize. It comes down to two scenarios: 1) They're just justifying what they know is wrong by bringing up buffet analogies, or 2) they honestly believe that when they signed up for a cellphone plan that that meant they now have an ISP for their home. Neither scenario makes any sort of sense at all.

These same people who complain about VZW are the ones who are upgrading their phones yearly, are in the know about every policy change that Verizon institutes months before they institute it and pay their bill every month without fail with nary a complaint to anyone that matters. However, when it comes to forums like these, they are the ones who are the most vocal.

At least you could argue that those who are ignorant to the TOS are just that...ignorant and don't know any better. But what excuse do the people who are very well aware of what they are signing up for have when they whine about not being given unlimited unrestricted data for every device in their home? I can't think of one good one.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is something that the people who tether fail to realize. It comes down to two scenarios: 1) They're just justifying what they know is wrong by bringing up buffet analogies, or 2) they honestly believe that when they signed up for a cellphone plan that that meant they now have an ISP for their home. Neither scenario makes any sort of sense at all.

These same people who complain about VZW are the ones who are upgrading their phones yearly, are in the know about every policy change that Verizon institutes months before they institute it and pay their bill every month without fail with nary a complaint to anyone that matters. However, when it comes to forums like these, they are the ones who are the most vocal.

At least you could argue that those who are ignorant to the TOS are just that...ignorant and don't know any better. But what excuse do the people who are very well aware of what they are signing up for have when they whine about not being given unlimited unrestricted data for every device in their home? I can't think of one good one.

I think it a false assumption when you claim that any of us think it is an ISP for our home. Who even said that? VZW's 3G is the slowest out there, it is barely faster than dial-up most of the time, frankly, it sucks.

I guarantee you that most of the "occasional tetherers" still pay $70 a month for Cable or DSL, and the tethering is not a substitute for that.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think it a false assumption when you claim that any of us think it is an ISP for our home. Who even said that? VZW's 3G is the slowest out there, it is barely faster than dial-up most of the time, frankly, it sucks.

I guarantee you that most of the "occasional tetherers" still pay $70 a month for Cable or DSL, and the tethering is not a substitute for that.

There are people who have stated they have canceled their ISPs and have tethered 60,70,80 even 100GB a month. I agree, that using VZW's 3G as your ISP is ridiculous considering how slow it is, but people do do that. There are people on this very forum who have admitted to it. So it's not a false assumption at all. The false assumption is the one made where people think unlimited data for your cellphone means unlimited data wherever you go, for any of your devices.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This turned into a tethering discussion.

It is now closed.

Sent from my A855, while on the move.

Status
Not open for further replies.