Verizon Will Start Charging a $30 Upgrade Fee Starting April 22nd

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm sure your right, but there is nothing that says they wont start doing it eventually and don't think for a second that they wont. Just wait until they get more penetration with 4g phones and other devices. I'm sure its fairly clear right now but wait until the 4g starts getting congested. Those of us with unlimited will be the first people they target.

we will cross that bridge when we get there . but i remeber reading the LTE towers wont get congested and throttling was only going to be on the 3g side

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is my post from another site about the fee:

No, I don't really care. I pay Netflix $8 a month and barely watch it, xbox live I don't even know how much...and rarely use it..

I subscribe to a high speed news group...that I rarely use now. Used to use it alot before a few months ago.

How many times will this fee happen? Not enough for me to really care. I would and should cancel everything else I mentioned. For me, this fee would be alot more reasonable and worth it.

I forgot to add I subscribe to Consumer Reports...$5 or $6 a month.

Yea......in the end this fee is nothing compared to what else I dish out and rarely use. I subscribe to all the things mentioned for the convenience. Every once in a while the newsgroups is needed and every once in a blue moon Netflix has something worth watching when I can take advantage of using Netflix: doc office, auto body shop, public transportation, etc.

This fee for upgrading my phone once every 1 and 1/2 years? Not that big a deal IMO. I agree with some stuff posted...but this fee just isnt that big a deal to me.

DROID11

Reaction score
Spoke to a best buy rep today and he said they'll be doing the $30 fee as well. I hope in not answering a question others have answered, I didn't want to read every post on every page, I got sick of it at page 6 lol. So to those wondering, 3rd party vendors will also be going this, at least best buy well

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

No, I don't really care. I pay Netflix $8 a month and barely watch it, xbox live I don't even know how much...and rarely use it..

I subscribe to a high speed news group...that I rarely use now. Used to use it alot before a few months ago.

How many times will this fee happen? Not enough for me to really care. I would and should cancel everything else I mentioned. For me, this fee would be alot more reasonable and worth it.

Yea......in the end this fee is nothing compared to what else I dish out and rarely use. I subscribe to all the things mentioned for the convenience. Every once in a while the newsgroups is needed and every once in a blue moon Netflix has something worth watching when I can take advantage of using Netflix: doc office, auto body shop, public transportation, etc.

This fee for upgrading my phone once every 1 and 1/2 years? Not that big a deal IMO. I agree with some stuff posted...but this fee just isnt that big a deal to me.
Very well said....$30 every 20 months. I know from past experience many of these people who are "leaving" are actually part of their parents plan so it's just empty threats. If someone wants to go over $1.50 per month, but buy cigarettes or a cheap beer should leave VZW I guess. If you want the best, there's a price. If you want cheap, then you get what you get, and I know first hand from having Sprint for 10 years what you're up against, even though Sprint charges for the upgrade too.

jerkwad

Reaction score

So you like throwing away money. Cool. The rest of us don't. What a ridiculous argument!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

woodsie

Reaction score
Why complain? Just buy Verizon stock and you too can share in that juicy 5%+ dividend.

When gas got expensive I bought BP and ConocoPhillips stock so at least I get my money back when gas goes up.

You too can get your share of big fat corporate profits. :D

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Please keep this PG. There have been several posts in here that have been modified since the thread began. Keep it civil, don't try to outsmart the language filter, and no personal attacks. If that's done, then no problems, if you continue then you will be put in time out and no TV.

jerkwad

Reaction score
Very well said....$30 every 20 months. I know from past experience many of these people who are "leaving" are actually part of their parents plan so it's just empty threats. If someone wants to go over $1.50 per month, but buy cigarettes or a cheap beer should leave VZW I guess. If you want the best, there's a price. If you want cheap, then you get what you get, and I know first hand from having Sprint for 10 years what you're up against, even though Sprint charges for the upgrade too.

What if the government charged you $5,000.00 every 10 years to own a tv to help pay for some ridiculous govt "service"/program? Thats only $500 each year. And thats only $1.35 a day. Big deal. Except that they would want it in one lump sum. Except you never use the service. Except you are required or need to own a tv. It's going to sting pretty bad. But hey it's only every 10 years.

jerkwad

Reaction score
Why complain? Just buy Verizon stock and you too can share in that juicy 5%+ dividend.

When gas got expensive I bought BP and ConocoPhillips stock so at least I get my money back when gas goes up.

You too can get your share of big fat corporate profits. :D

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Lol that's actually a pretty good idea. Hmmmmm... What the hell, charge 'em 80.0 to upgrade... Give me that fat 5% return. ;-)

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What if the government charged you $5,000.00 every 10 years to own a tv to help pay for some ridiculous govt "service"/program? Thats only $500 each year. And thats only $1.35 a day. Big deal. Except that they would want it in one lump sum. Except you never use the service. Except you are required or need to own a tv. It's going to sting pretty bad. But hey it's only every 10 years.

Then I wouldn't own a TV. Simple as that. Nobody is forcing anyone to own a cell phone either. I was 33 years old before I got my first cell phone and somehow managed to make it through.

jerkwad

Reaction score
Then I wouldn't own a TV. Simple as that. Nobody is forcing anyone to own a cell phone either. I was 33 years old before I got my first cell phone and somehow managed to make it through.

Idunno. I have a feeling we all still would. We all pay personal property taxes on our cars while public transportation exists for most people. It would be a huge inconvenience without a car. Similarly it would be a huge inconvenience without a phone. You and I are forced, in this society to own some from of mobile communication either through the convenience it provides or for work. Just as we are for transportation.

Your age may be irrelevant. My father didn't own a phone till he was in his 30s because they didn't exist when he was younger ;-)

The bottom line is this: Verizon turns a multi BILLION dollar profit and they want more. They have provided lame justifications for this added fee. Most of us don't use ANY of the additional services they are using to justify this fee. Most of us already pay more than other carriers. Yet some of you seem to be arguing in FAVOR of Verizon's deicision to make things more expensive. That makes no sense, regardless of the "measly" cost involved. It's a matter of principle, fair treatment to customers, and respect for those that CHOOSE to continue doing business with the telco provider.

PS - Sweet bike! My father has one - it's an interesting ride at 70mph and no windscreen! lol

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Idunno. I have a feeling we all still would. We all pay personal property taxes on our cars while public transportation exists for most people. It would be a huge inconvenience without a car. Similarly it would be a huge inconvenience without a phone. You and I are forced, in this society to own some from of mobile communication either through the convenience it provides or for work. Just as we are for transportation.

Your age may be irrelevant. My father didn't own a phone till he was on his 30s because they didn't exist when he was younger ;-)

I got my first cell phone (bag phone) in 1993. I have an FCC license and instead of watching TV, I'm on the ham radio anyway. I really don't HAVE to have a cell phone. Is it convenient, heck yea, absolute necessity, no. I really want to leave politics out of this and I'm biting my tongue really hard right now.

jerkwad

Reaction score
I got my first cell phone (bag phone) in 1993. I have an FCC license and instead of watching TV, I'm on the ham radio anyway. I really don't HAVE to have a cell phone. Is it convenient, heck yea, absolute necessity, no. I really want to leave politics out of this and I'm biting my tongue really hard right now.

Yeah, don't get into politics - i hate when things turn in that direction when it has no bearing on the topic. I'm sure it was in relation to the personal property taxes - yeah, we all hate those ;-)

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
So you like throwing away money. Cool. The rest of us don't. What a ridiculous argument!

List some things you pay to subscribe to, pay a monthly bill for.....if you dont mind....

Pay a cable bill? How many channels do you actually watch per week? Pay a cell phone, house phone bill? How many calls, minutes do you use? Pay for home internet? What do you do on your computer to justify the price? This fee is.....every upgrade..... I'm sure most of us spend more than $30 a week just living life. I spend about that much on lunch a week.

I have a family plan so it will cost me $90 total...still not a big deal to me. My point is we throw away money probably every day and dont realize it. $30 every year and 1/2 years isnt that big in the grand schemes of things. That $1 fee a few months ago wasnt either.

Imagine the ppl that arent on unlimited data and have to pay for tiered plans. 2 of my lines are tiered. So $30 every 1 and 1/2 years is small potatoes compared to what I pay....a month....for data.