Verizon Will Soon Activate Unlocked Nexus 6 Devices From Other Carriers

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I bought my Nexus 6 unlocked directly from Google mostly because I found out that it would not be available from Verizon for several months after the release day. Many others did the same thing, and experienced the Verizon snubbing. If you carried your unlocked device into Verizon they would refuse to activate it!!! So I have a phone here that will work on any carrier, I want to give you my money, and you are going to refuse to activate my phone??!!! Many of you were as shocked as I was. Verizon let me know that my device was unrecognized device. The fix was simple. If you wanted your Nexus 6 to work on the Verizon network you would need to take an older device with the same size sim card to Verizon, have that phone activated then take the newly activated sim home and stick it into your Nexus 6!

It looks like Verizon is finally preparing to begin activating these unlocked devices. Nexus 6 owners are reporting that their devices are now showing up as "Nexus 6 Non Verizon" instead of "Non Verizon". If you try to find your Nexus 6 via the Verizon online IMEI check tool it will now show as "Your Device" instead of "non compatible". This means that Verizon is now able to find the IMEI of your Nexus 6. This is a huge step towards Verizon actually being able to activate these devices directly in the store! This will be a huge convenience for anyone picking up a second hand Nexus 6 in the coming months.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I saw this the other day on Android Police. It certainly took them long enough.

boidsonly

Reaction score
Many thanks to the folks who wrote to the FCC; it does make a difference...

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
So does this mean that I'll be able to buy other unlocked devices (not the Nexus 6) and activate them on Verizon as well?

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Can't I just take my SIM card out of my Note 4(and sell that without a SIM) and then pop that SIM in a Nexxus 6 and it will work?

The Stig 04

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P (VZ) & S7 Edge (TMO)
Can't I just take my SIM card out of my Note 4(and sell that without a SIM) and then pop that SIM in a Nexxus 6 and it will work?

"If you wanted your Nexus 6 to work on the Verizon network you would need to take an older device with the same size sim card to Verizon, have that phone activated then take the newly activated sim home and stick it into your Nexus 6!"

Rognish

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
rognish
N6 uses a nano sim card, I think the Note 4 uses a micro. When I had a problem with my sim card I ended up going to a store and they were all drawing blanks. I also have a Droid Turbo on my account and I convinced them to activate the new sim card on my Turbo without having the phone there and once they activated the card I put it into my N6 and called them in the store, needless to say they were shocked it worked.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I've wondered what the issue has been.. A maxx, a turbo... They both take the same size sim... Or am I missing something????

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
......When I had a problem with my sim card I ended up going to a store and they were all drawing blanks. I also have a Droid Turbo on my account and I convinced them to activate the new sim card on my Turbo without having the phone there and once they activated the card I put it into my N6 and called them in the store, needless to say they were shocked it worked.
That's essentially what I did when I received my N6 from Motorola back in February. Store was useless, but they did give me a nano sim card to take home and work with customer service. The CS rep was either kind enough or naive enough to activate the sim card for my Galaxy S4, after I asked if that was possible. I inserted it in my Nexus 6 instead, and the rest has been history.

Working flawlessly since then. Received 5.1 OTA update on 5/19, and currently shows on my account as Nexus 6 non Verizon. I'm tickled pink, like a vampire that's just bean invited in. :p:p:D

Reactions: cr6