Verizon Will Layoff 950 Workers at a Houston Call Center

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon-sign-334.jpeg

In March Verizon announced that they were in the position of needing to close some call centers in Texas, Michigan and Washington and layoff up to 2600 people across the country. Those closings and layoffs have just begun, and Verizon just announced that they will need to layoff 950 workers as they close their Houston call center. A Verizon spokesperson named Sheryl Sellaway told The Wall Street Journal that the total number of layoffs will likely be less because some of the employees are likely to take jobs and relocation benefits within the company. Here's a quote with a few more details,

A total of 2,600 workers will be affected by the closures, although Verizon has invited all employees to relocate and has offered to pay those who move to new centers $10,000 in after-tax dollars. Those who do not continue with the company will be provided with separation benefits. The Houston call center will close on August 25th this year.

Source: BGR

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
How about they start with the call centers overseas and leave the American jobs alone? And what happened to all this money they are making on the new and improved pricing plan?

Sent from my HTC Rezound infused with ice cream goodness using Droid Forums.

djkms

Reaction score
Wow, unbelievable. In a time were companies need to put people over profits with our failing economy this doesn't bode well for Verizon. Didnt they just basically raise rates with their new share everything plan? This saddens me, thats a lot of people losing their income. I think Verizons PR department is what/who needs to get fired. Verizon is sure making some dumb decisions as of late.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes. It does seem like Big Red is using the poor economy as an excuse to improve their margins by laying off some folks. They posted increased profits and a growing business over the last few quarters, so why do they need this move?

Jeyman

Reaction score
its really hard for me to do(as I have un-limited data), but the way things are moving I really think my next phone will be a GSN unlocked flagship phone so I can bounce around to whoever I want on a monthly plan.

Iv see ways you can get 5GB of data and unlimited texts with 100min worth of calls(and then you can throw on wifi calls as well)for $30 a month. Might jump onto tmobile for that come this November when my last contract is up.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Nice Big Red, reminds me of a job I had years ago.

They came to us the workers and asked if we would take a pay cut to save jobs, of course we would and voted it right there, we took a 15% cut.
Two weeks later well over a dozen guys got laid off anyway!

Wonder what Verizon executives make a year? Bet their pay wasn't affected.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Verizon had a call center in MI. :blink:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Its sad when a company does this to employees especially american employees. I agree with the poster above close some of the call centers overseas. Infact it would be better for every one I personally dont want to have a language conflict when I am having an issue with my device or account. For a company that is continually asking more and more money from their customers and wantng to pay less to their employees its obvious the big wigs would rather get a bonus to make a profit then care about fellow people. I understand business is business and at times the hard choices have to be made but I feel businesses have gone away from the ideal of awarding for hard work and gone to how "I" can get another car in my drive way if I send people home.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
its sad when a company does this to employees especially american employees. I agree with the poster above close some of the call centers overseas. Infact it would be better for every one i personally dont want to have a language conflict when i am having an issue with my device or account. For a company that is continually asking more and more money from their customers and wantng to pay less to their employees its obvious the big wigs would rather get a bonus to make a profit then care about fellow people. I understand business is business and at times the hard choices have to be made but i feel businesses have gone away from the ideal of awarding for hard work and gone to how "i" can get another car in my drive way if i send people home.

+10,000

droid razr maxximized!!!! Prepare to be vanquished!!!

Natey2

Reaction score
Some of those call center employees should become a developer in the Verizon V Cast AppStore (the app that nobody wants to use) department. They will have incredible job security there :^)

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk

jpiarull

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force Droid
Twitter
jpiarull
Ultimate act of selfishness and corporate-cronysm, Wall-Street corrupts all.
Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely...:angry: