Verizon Will Keep Two Year Contracts For Existing Customers

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

A few weeks back Verizon announced that they were doing away with contracts and subsidized pricing. This gave grandfathered unlimited data useres like myself no reason to ever change to a tiered data plan since everyone would be paying full price for devices from here on out. Users who are already on tiered data were worried that they would never be able to buy a device at the discounted rate again.

Verizon has announced today that they will continue two year contracts and subsidized pricing for existing customers already in that structure. This however will no longer be available for new customers. Once an every two customer switches to a new Verizon plan there will be no going back to contracts and subsidized pricing. This means you will have to be more vigilant than ever to protect your current setup not allowing sneaky Verizon reps talk you into something you don't want to do.

New Verizon plans give you unlimited talk and text with 1GB of data for only $30. You can get 3GB of data for $45 per month, 6GB for $60 per month, 12GB for $80 per month, and the plans go upwards from there. You will also be responsible for a $20 access fee per line.

Via VerizonBlog

Last edited by a moderator:

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score

A few weeks back Verizon announced that they were doing away with contracts and subsidized pricing. This gave grandfathered unlimited data useres like myself no reason to ever change to a tiered data plan since everyone would be paying full price for devices from here on out. Users who are already on tiered data were worried that they would never be able to buy a device at the discounted rate again.

Verizon has announced today that they will continue two year contracts and subsidized pricing for existing customers already in that structure. This however will no longer be available for new customers. Once an every two customer switches to a new Verizon plan there will be no going back to contracts and subsidized pricing. This means you will have to be more vigilant than ever to protect your current setup not allowing sneaky Verizon reps talk you into something you don't want to do.

Please show me where in the blog post it says you cannot go back to the 2yr contract. As I read it, the only thing you cannot do is go back to an old plan that is no longer in existence. Meaning if you go from a 700 minute plan to the new Verizon plan with 6gb shareable data and change your mind, you are pretty much SOL. Also, the new plans have allowed for a contract since day 1. Just like on the More Everything plans, a smartphone line on subsidized pricing will pay $40 for the line instead of $20.

Sent from my Verizon G4

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm confused....so if and when VZW kicks us off unlimited, will I then be able to sign a 2-yr contract and get a subsidized upgrade?

JRParsons

Reaction score
As stated above, a subsidized phone pays $20.00 more per month. So you can pay $499 (subsidized price on Costco's website for Galaxy S6 128G) then $480 additional over the course of 2 years, total of $979 or pay $899 (full price same phone). If you are on an unlimited plan obviously you are paying full price regardless. I gave up my unlimited last month for a 6gb shared resulting in a $60/month savings. If I go over I'll adjust to a 12GB for a savings of $40.00. When my subsidized phones are out of contract I'll save an additional $20.00 per line.

My understanding of the options are that a subsidized phone cost more than a full price phone.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Woo-hoo! Unlimited data and discounted phones for eternity and beyond!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm wondering where this leaves me, though it may not matter. I'm leaning towards getting a Moto X from Moto Maker if I upgrade before the next one comes out anyway. Haha!

But, IF I decide to go another route, I'm on the Edge Plan now for my Note 4. I'm wondering if I can renew my current plan and still get a subsidized phone (Been FOREVER since I've done that!), or if being on the Edge automatically makes me only eligible for the new device payment plan with no option to get a subsidized phone. Although, I really don't mind making my set payments instead of paying a chunk up front...

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Not sure if this helps anyone considering upgrading but just in case it does, I will detail my recent experience...

I was on limited data at 15gb for $100, plus another $40 per device (4 phones = $160). $260 total. I was not on an edge plan.

Three of these phones were still on contract, all expiring in March 2016 or later. One was no longer in contract.

The one that was out of contract, I could immediately get the device fee discounted $25 (from $40 down to $15).

To get the other three lines (that were still on contract) reduced from $40 down to $15, I had to upgrade each phone using the 24 month "device payment program" but also had to turn in the subsidized phone that was on that line. I could also upgrade by buying the phone at full retail or I can pay the new phones off at any time. This reduced each line by $25 each.

Because the subsidized phones were still on contract, I had to return them to Verizon. And I'm still on contract... until they expire, I could be charged an etf if I discontinue service.

My understanding is that this option ($15 per line) is only available to existing customers who are not on the edge plan and who have either the old tier data packages or have unlimited data packages (and I believe you retain your unlimited data). My data package remains the same (unless I choose their new data packages). The only thing that changed was my per line fee and monthly device fees for the new phones I bought.

My monthly bill went from $260 to $238 (of which $78 is what I pay for the 3 new devices). When my devices are paid in full, then my monthly bill will be $160.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
That is pretty sweet @TisMyDroid If I had not just bought three brand new Moto X's from Moto Maker in June and a new Turbo for me right before this whole change started, I would jump on this deal also. I am so tired of paying almost $300 a month (4 smart phones and 1 basic phone). I still have unlimited data on my line, and it's nice...but I don't need it. I would drop it for $100 a month off my bill.

Last edited by a moderator:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
sajokaz, if none of your phone's are in contract and you are still paying $40 per line, then call Verizon and tell them you want the $25 reduced price per line. Apparently this is not something new but never advertised and they do not automatically do it when your phone is no longer in contract. You have to call & request it. And they won't make it retroactive to when your phone went off contract. Once you get it at the reduced rate, it remains unless you buy a subsidized phone (then it goes back up to $40 for that line).

You can do that for any lines that are not on contract (or lines that are eligible for an upgrade). And it doesn't affect or change your data plan, just your line charge. And you don't have to buy a phone either. The only reason I had to buy three phones is because those lines were still in contract.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
sajokaz, if none of your phone's are in contract and you are still paying $40 per line, then call Verizon and tell them you want the $25 reduced price per line. Apparently this is not something new but never advertised and they do not automatically do it when your phone is no longer in contract. You have to call & request it. And they won't make it retroactive to when your phone went off contract. Once you get it at the reduced rate, it remains unless you buy a subsidized phone (then it goes back up to $40 for that line).

I cashed in my upgrades in June to get the wife and daughter their custom Moto X's for subsidized prices. I am stuck in a contract for a while. If only I would have known about this and waited 2 months.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I cashed in my upgrades in June to get the wife and daughter their custom Moto X's for subsidized prices. I am stuck in a contract for a while. If only I would have known about this and waited 2 months.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Ugh! I would call to see if they would let you switch to the monthly plan. Tell them you are just becoming aware of this and that you would like to go back and do the device payment program. Say the phone retailed for $600, you already paid $200 subsidized price for the phone, so they can put the remaining $400 due on the device payment program then reduce those lines to $15 per month instead of $40. It's worth a shot. Any lines that you have that are not still in contract, you can have them reduce those line charges immediately.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I read you can't dump contracts if you wanted.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I read you can't dump contracts if you wanted.
The three phones I had to buy using the device payment program are still in the same contract (those contract dates didn't change). Which means if I was to drop those lines before the contract expiration date I would have to pay the etf.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
You can do that for any lines that are not on contract (or lines that are eligible for an upgrade). And it doesn't affect or change your data plan, just your line charge.

What about those of us on unlimited data plans with no line charge? I assume there's no price reduction available?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
What about those of us on unlimited data plans with no line charge? I assume there's no price reduction available?
I believe that you still have a per device line charge on the unlimited plan. Maybe not cuz i don't remember. If not then there is no charge to reduce.