Verizon Will Charge Customers $10 Per Month to Suspend a Line Voluntarily (Starting April 17th)

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
new-verizon-suspended-account-fee.jpg

If you are one of the rare few customers who sometimes needs to suspend your Verizon account periodically, you will not likely be happy with this news. According to a leaked memo (shown above), on April 17th, Verizon will no longer allow customers to suspend their account with no billing. Instead Big Red will start charging customers $10 per month to voluntarily suspend their account.

Here's a quote from PhoneArena with more of the details,

"The $10 rate is per line and can be prorated. During a 12-month rolling period, a customer can use the reduced access rate plan for no more than 90-days. Upgrade dates and service contracts are extended by the number of days that the account is suspended for. Verizon admits in the memo that adding a $10 monthly rate helps Big Red recover lost service revenue.

The carrier says that its customers will now have two billing options for suspended accounts: full billing or the reduced $10 rate. If a phone is lost or stolen, and the customer hasn't used the reduced access rate during the last 12 rolling months, he/she will be allowed to suspend their account without any billing for 30-days."

Although this is unlikely to impact very many consumers, it's tough to see this as anything more than fee milking. What do you folks think?

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
I'm shocked they haven't done this sooner... I wouldn't expect any company to suspend any service for me with some sort of cost.

♡My Sexy Edge+♡

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Right now my DirecTV account is suspended and will likely go active next month. Wife lost her job in December and her income is finally starting to stabilize. I'd be pissed if they decided to charge me for suspending it. Its not like my contract time keeps going, that suspends too.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Right now my DirecTV account is suspended and will likely go active next month. Wife lost her job in December and her income is finally starting to stabilize. I'd be pissed if they decided to charge me for suspending it. Its not like my contract time keeps going, that suspends too.
That's how I see it. Why should we be charged to suspend? Another stupid greedy fee. It doesn't cost them anything to do it.

boidsonly

Reaction score

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You forget the Blue Chip Stockholders are not going to foot the bill for any fines-you are.

Verizon To Pay $7.4M To Settle Privacy Investigation
FCC fines Verizon $1.25M for blocking tethering apps
I can keep going...but you get the idea.
If enough people leave VZW, the greedy shareholders will get the message. My family left VZW/our unlimited data plan and never looked back...
I was thinking it was getting close to 5g time.

If I recall right before they launched LTE they were coming up with all these stupid fees to nickel and dime customers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Amagine

Reaction score
I was thinking it was getting close to 5g time.

If I recall right before they laughed LTE they were coming up with all these stupid fees to nickel and dime customers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Going 5G shouldn't be as hard as going LTE was. 5G is largely an evolution of the LTE design than a revolution. LTE demanded an entire infrastructure overhaul. Before LTE many towers were backhauled by either standard copper trunk lines or slower point to point microwave bridges. Now, a majority of towers are fiber optic fed. This makes bandwidth increases from tower to tower or tower to central offices much much easier as well as the upper limit on data a single pair of fibers can carry is stupid high (if you want to pay for it.)

What I I find interesting is, that they aren't keeping a military provision. Seriously, unless they are about to come way way way down on their international roaming options, it seems like a slap in the face to overseas members.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
I would have expected a fee prior to this anyways..

Gremlin

Reaction score
Verizon does this for business account. Where I work, we are using Verizon as the phone provider. We have unlimited data and basically allowed to suspend a line for 3 months with no charge. However on those lines, I am allowed to change the plan to the lowest charge...

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
guess I could pay to suspend my extra unlimited line. instead of paying $60 per month, I could pay $10 per month.

That's about the only way this fee is useful, otherwise it's greedy and BS

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Oh, so since I'm switching to TMo, I guess I'll suspend my line before the new pricing comes into effect to save some mula.

taz1458

Reaction score
Think this would be illegal to do to active service members.

This is what I have a SERIOUS problem with. You get deployed for a year, and we still have to pay $120? Pathetic. Really wish there was another cell carrier with as good as coverage as these guys where i'm at. Id leave these lame asses in a heartbeat. Basically saying, o your deployed? Tough ****.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is what I have a SERIOUS problem with. You get deployed for a year, and we still have to pay $120? Pathetic. Really wish there was another cell carrier with as good as coverage as these guys where i'm at. Id leave these lame asses in a heartbeat. Basically saying, o your deployed? Tough ****.
My question is when did Verizon stop doing this before? Until 07 when my youngest was born I used to lead weekly mountain bike rides near Ft Lee and all the military folks I rode with were on AT&T because they didn't charge the fee when they got deployed the way Verizon did after 30 days. In 03 my wife lost her phone,I reported it and they did a "courtesy waive" of the fee to suspend her line since I was a long time, on time paying customer.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Amagine

Reaction score
had to be sometime after 09-10 when my brother was deployed.