Verizon WILL ALLOW Unlocked Bootloaders

Natey2

Reaction score
In theory yes, I suppose, but most of these phones are pretty "unbrickable" I think. I haven't heard many, if any, stories about people bricking their phones completely by rooting or ROMing...

But if someone tries to hack/replace the bootloader with bad code that won't even let the phone boot...

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
In theory yes, I suppose, but most of these phones are pretty "unbrickable" I think. I haven't heard many, if any, stories about people bricking their phones completely by rooting or ROMing...

But if someone tries to hack/replace the bootloader with bad code that won't even let the phone boot...

Oh yeah if someone tries to replace the bootloader itself, I guess that could brick it irreparably if done wrong. Don't think anyone has ever tried that though. Could be wrong....

Natey2

Reaction score

Oh yeah if someone tries to replace the bootloader itself, I guess that could brick it irreparably if done wrong. Don't think anyone has ever tried that though. Could be wrong....

I gotta research the bootloader...
If the bootloader is locked, nobody will be able hack it and risk messing it up. Otherwise, there might be multiple hacked versions of the bootloader floating around, like some buggy custom ROMs that are floating around?
An unfortunate user who inadvertently uses one of these buggy hacked bootloaders might not be able to get the phone back to a working state?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

I gotta research the bootloader...
If the bootloader is locked, nobody will be able hack it and risk messing it up. Otherwise, there might be multiple hacked versions of the bootloader floating around, like some buggy custom ROMs that are floating around?
An unfortunate user who inadvertently uses one of these buggy hacked bootloaders might not be able to get the phone back to a working state?

If its locked and encrypted no one is unlocking it. If its unlocked and unencrypted I really see no reason why anyone would try to replace it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Natey2

Reaction score
If its locked and encrypted no one is unlocking it. If its unlocked and unencrypted I really see no reason why anyone would try to replace it.

If the bootloader can be replaced, I'll bet my DroidX that some hacker will try to replace it under the guise of "open software" and the hope of getting the phone to boot a little faster, or some other bootstrap option. Great if it'll work for everyone, but it won't, and this kind of phone bricking may not be easily recoverable.
But all this is moot if the bootloader is not replaceable.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

If the bootloader can be replaced, I'll bet my DroidX that some hacker will try to replace it under the guise of "open software" and the hope of getting the phone to boot a little faster, or some other bootstrap option. Great if it'll work for everyone, but it won't, and this kind of phone bricking may not be easily recoverable.

The d1s bootloader is unlocked and unencrypted and I've not heard of anyone trying to replace it...I don't see the point of doing it really...

jaycemiskel

Reaction score

The d1s bootloader is unlocked and unencrypted and I've not heard of anyone trying to replace it...I don't see the point of doing it really...

Exactly. I think worrying about bad bootloaders floating around is just paranoid.

Sent from my Transformer

Natey2

Reaction score

I recall reading about people using the D2 bootloader on the DX for installing some leaked GB build?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

I recall reading about people using the D2 bootloader on the DX for installing some leaked GB build?

nah i never heard of this, and dont think its true since both are encrypted and locked.

yahwarrior

Reaction score
They just want you to have to buy a new phone every time they upgrade the Andriod OS. If you have a unlocked bootloader you can upgrade your current hardware on your own.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
They just want you to have to buy a new phone every time they upgrade the Andriod OS. If you have a unlocked bootloader you can upgrade your current hardware on your own.

Unlocked bootloader allow for mod of kernel which is needed to install aosp roms and you could build your own Rom from source and install it. The flip side is if the Rom is a bad Rom it could lock up the phone.
sent from droidforums app

Natey2

Reaction score

nah i never heard of this, and dont think its true since both are encrypted and locked.

It was the D2 bootstrap on the DX:
http://androidforums.com/droid-x-al...ited-4-5-11-added-link-free-d2-bootstrap.html

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

They're not replacing the bootloader. Both the d2 and x have locked, encrypted bootloaders. The bootstrap replaces a logwrapper from my understanding and "hijacks" the boot process. However the bootloader is not replaced, that's why after a reset I believe you have to do it again.

Koushs bootstrap is a way for dx owners to call themes ROMs and pretend they are flashing ROMs haha.

The actual bootloader is a way for devs to waste countless hrs in an effort to "crack" 256bit encryption with ridiculous suggestions about brute forcing and hash collisions.

No one is replacing an encrypted bootloader, and there is no need to replace an unencrypted one.