Verizon will Acquire Yahoo for $5 Billion

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
yahooverizon.jpg

It's official now, Big Red is going to pay big bucks to purchase Yahoo. Verizon will announce its plans to acquire Yahoo Inc. for $5 Billion today. Verizon believes that adding Yahoo to its AOL asset will help them scale their internet presence along multiple verticals. The move will allow Verizon to combine data for their 100 million wireless customers which will help advertisers specifically target their users based on online behavior.

After the deal presses forward, it will need to receive shareholder and regulator approval, which is expected to go smoothly. Interestingly, not all of Yahoo's assets are included in the deal. Here's a quote with a few more details,

"The sale does not include Yahoo's cash, its shares in Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba Group Holding Ltd (BABA.N), shares in Yahoo Japan, Yahoo's convertible notes, certain minority investments or Yahoo's non-core patents.

The Alibaba and Yahoo Japan investments are worth about $40 billion in terms of their market capitalizations, while Yahoo had a market value of about $37.4 billion as of Friday's close."
~ Reuters

What do folks think? Is this a smart move from Verizon, or are they paying too much?

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan
I think they may be overpaying a bit. Although I believe at one point yahoo owned Tumblr. Not sure if they still do or if it's part of this deal. They also bought out one of launchers I used to use but have since forgotten the name of. My only yahoo stuff I have left is an email account that mostly goes unused, and I am still owner of a few yahoo groups that also go pretty much unused even though one of them had close to 10,000 members last time I checked.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
They will make it back in a year. All the data mining they can do without restrictions.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
This acquisition has a 0% chance of spawning a functioning useful consumer product. Zero.
The World would actually be tangibly better off if Yahoo had reinvented itself as a cotton ball manufacturer.

What if VZW dumped $5B into its network to increase its ability to handle MASSIVE amounts of traffic then charged a flat rate of $175-$200 a month for unlimited wireless data bundled with in-home 100/100Mb FiOS somehow.

Just sayin'.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
This acquisition has a 0% chance of spawning a functioning useful consumer product. Zero.
The World would actually be tangibly better off if Yahoo had reinvented itself as a cotton ball manufacturer.

What if VZW dumped $5B into its network to increase its ability to handle MASSIVE amounts of traffic then charged a flat rate of $175-$200 a month for unlimited wireless data bundled with in-home 100/100Mb FiOS somehow.

Just sayin'.

There would be a lot of pissed off people. Verizon FiOS doesn't exist here. So we'd be paying for nothing.

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan

Just sayin'.

That would probably may me become a Verizon customer.

kinfolk248

Reaction score
1)How about they use that $5B to reimburse subscribers for the false surcharges they got fined for instead of ramping up users fees to cover those fines....

2) How about they use that $5B to upgrade their infrastructure...

3) How about they use that $5B to calm 'loyal' consumers like me who are fed up and just buying time to leave...

4) But wtf do I know, I'm just a simple man...

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like they are trying to build up an Internet Company now owning both AOL+Yahoo. It wouldn't surprise me if they make a few more acquisitions (Yelp/Twitter/?) and then spin all of these off into a separate company 3-4 years down the road.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm thinking some of the Verizon android line phones in the future are going to look like Amazon devices. Phones build on Android but with their own search engine (Yahoo), app store (Verizon), and be sold at a cheaper price ($50 on share plan).

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sounds like they are trying to build up an Internet Company now owning both AOL+Yahoo. It wouldn't surprise me if they make a few more acquisitions (Yelp/Twitter/?) and then spin all of these off into a separate company 3-4 years down the road.
Verizon dsl signal, aol dial up internet to ensure the dsl doesn't get overloaded, Yahoo security team to ensure all customers are so bloated with malware they'll not overload the dsl.
All for the low low price of $80 a month plus taxes, fees for collecting taxes and taxes on the collection fees.
Where do I sign up?

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

Gremlin

Reaction score
I guess us consumers are and will help VZW to cover the costs of the purchase.. Lovely.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I guess us consumers are and will help VZW to cover the costs of the purchase.. Lovely.
That's how it usually works. When you buy gas you're helping the gas station, delivery company, oil rig works, oil company, etc.