Verizon warning while tethering

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
She would laugh, because she hates Verizon. :D

You sound mad that I am still getting my way through any means necessary.

I'm not angry or anything else. I just think it is ridiculous that anyone over the age of around 16 would act like a child like this.

No cellular company offers free tethering that I know of. So you are trying to get a service for free that no one else is going to offer you either.

And since you can't right now, you are throwing a fit instead of acting like an adult.

And why are you with Verizon if your mother hates them?

+1. Very strange and childish behavior, but unfortunately the android community is made up of many strange and childish people.

...and people wonder why OEMs and carriers want to lock phones down. When you got adults acting like 5 year olds, thats what happens.

Childish behavior doesn't cause it, money causes it. Not hard to comprehend.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
It seems as though you are right on that one. Both are shady in Verizons eyes, but we do them any way. This is a reason why the morality arguments are asinine to conduct. I, along with many others, will continue to "steal" from Verizon happily and go about our daily lives. And others will void their warranties with the knowledge that they will still be able to use their warranty if something catastrophic happens. Haha.

which is fine, what makes your behavior bizarre is that you'll be the same person who'll whine about locked bootloaders in another thread, not realizing that it's people like you who are causing OEMs and carriers to do these things. And it's not only you, there's plenty of people here (some of them actually pretty comical characters) who swear they have the right to do whatever they want.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not angry or anything else. I just think it is ridiculous that anyone over the age of around 16 would act like a child like this.

No cellular company offers free tethering that I know of. So you are trying to get a service for free that no one else is going to offer you either.

And since you can't right now, you are throwing a fit instead of acting like an adult.

And why are you with Verizon if your mother hates them?

+1. Very strange and childish behavior, but unfortunately the android community is made up of many strange and childish people.

...and people wonder why OEMs and carriers want to lock phones down. When you got adults acting like 5 year olds, thats what happens.

Childish behavior doesn't cause it, money causes it. Not hard to comprehend.

...o...k. LOL. The justifications make me laugh.

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
Become more knowledgeable in marketing and business and you will be able to understand why there are locked bootloaders. ;)

gsdreams

Reaction score
Wasn't talking about downloading a ROM, I know that is not against the TOS. But installing a custom ROM on Verizons device is, and that is what most of us here are doing. :)

Just wanted to give another nod to Wireless Tether 2.0.2 that is working great on GB. You have to deal with adhoc, and constantly renaming of AndroidTether1, AndroidTether2, etc. But pulling nearly 1Mbps tethered while I type this.

It's not against the TOS to install a custom ROM. It just voids your warranty.

I haven't read Motorola's warranty in a while, but it didn't use to say anything about modifying the software like the HTC and Samsung ones did.

Even if it does, my take is it is a minature computer. I can install linux on a brand new HP Computer or Laptop, but if I send it in for warranty I can't expect them to warranty the computer since it isn't running the original OS. But I can also reinstall the original OS and with issues persisting I can expect them to warranty it.

It seems as though you are right on that one. Both are shady in Verizons eyes, but we do them any way. This is a reason why the morality arguments are asinine to conduct. I, along with many others, will continue to "steal" from Verizon happily and go about our daily lives. And others will void their warranties with the knowledge that they will still be able to use their warranty if something catastrophic happens. Haha.

Actually there is a fair amount of difference between editing hardware you own and stealing services.

But it's a personal choice. Personal I plan to put GB on my phone, but I'm not going to use tethering without paying for it.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Become more knowledgeable in marketing and business and you will be able to understand why there are locked bootloaders. ;)

LOL...i got childish adults teaching me about marketing and business. Pure awesomeness. :icon_ banana:dancedroid

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
So I guess I am a thief. A happy one at that. :)

This post brought to you because I am stealing internets!

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I do have a question for the mods though. Why is talk about tethering even allowed on the forums? I mean you shut people down if they ask for pirated apps, but stealing from Verizon is ok? I understand not all mods think tethering is stealing, but the fact of the matter is you're circumventing a paid service and getting it for free. We can try to justify that any way you want, but the fact remains you're stealing. So why is this even allowed? Just wondering why the double standard/hypocrisy when it comes to tethering?

I mean you pretty much got people flat out stating "I'm stealing and using 40GB a month. I've replaced my ISP. I don't care blah blah whine whine"...

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Because it is a gray area to us in regards to usage. Many of us aren't thrilled that we are charged separately for tethering with unlimited data. But most of us actually are in agreement that we don't condone the 40gb per month plus tethering. But piracy is straight out illegal. It's a fine line. Basically, most of us agree that tethering in moderation is fine, but abuse is a different matter.

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
Ultimately this whole tethering deal all boils down to one simple thing.
Money.

Now I would like to assume that if you can pay $70+ a month just on your cell phone, you already have a internet provider or can afford the extra $20 for the tethering plan.

Sent from my Droid 2 Global from a galaxy far far away...

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Because it is a gray area to us in regards to usage. Many of us aren't thrilled that we are charged separately for tethering with unlimited data. But most of us actually are in agreement that we don't condone the 40gb per month plus tethering. But piracy is straight out illegal. It's a fine line. Basically, most of us agree that tethering in moderation is fine, but abuse is a different matter.

But how do you assume that tethering isn't illegal? You're taking a paid service, and then getting it for free. On top of that you're hiding the fact that you're doing it. Which implies, that you yourself know its not right. It's not like tetherers are telling VZW "Oh it's ok, I don't need the mobile hotspot, I'm just going to use wireless tether for root users". Clearly, you're trying to hide the fact that you're tethering, you know it's a paid service, and you know it's against the TOS. So where is the gray area? The fact is that you pay for unlimited data for one device and one device only (one phone) and tethering is not allowed. I think it's pretty black and white...

It just sounds like "we don't like it, so we'll allow it"...which is a double standard/hypocrisy

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Well, things are getting different now as the actual tethering apps have been removed from the Verizon market. That is changing things. Before, Verizon knew about and allowed those apps to be in place, so they were in fact also turning a blind eye towards tethering. That appears to be changing now. So our stance on it may be changing as well. This is an early development so we have to see where things go from here.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Oh and tethering was against TOS, not illegal. Piracy is illegal. That is a definite. Also, at the advent of the Droid's, Verizon themselves didn't have the hotspot available and actually had users tether by alternate methods. This is a liquid situation that is changing.

Status
Not open for further replies.