Verizon warning while tethering

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsdreams

Reaction score
Just an update, I used a total of 1.9GB since yesterday by downloading legal torrents of Linux distros. This will continue every night until I can use Wireless Tether again.

VZW won't void your contract, won't terminate your service. What will happen is you will end up in the Top 5% of data usage and they will throttle your bandwidth. That's it, nothing more.

And it won't change whether you can wirelessly tether. It won't cause them to open the service up for free for you.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
Because the unlimited data you pay for is intended for your device. Tethering is a different story entirely and is more costly for them to provide and is also fairly taxing on the network. That's why they charge for it, and why they are upset about people working their way around a pay wall.

tappin and a talkin

+1 to the above. Spaz33g is completely right.

-Mike

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
Just an update, I used a total of 1.9GB since yesterday by downloading legal torrents of Linux distros. This will continue every night until I can use Wireless Tether again.

VZW won't void your contract, won't terminate your service. What will happen is you will end up in the Top 5% of data usage and they will throttle your bandwidth. That's it, nothing more.

And it won't change whether you can wirelessly tether. It won't cause them to open the service up for free for you.

Probably, but I will have fun straining the network as long as I can. And if I am throttled, I will look at other avenues to hinder the network.

gsdreams

Reaction score

Probably, but I will have fun straining the network as long as I can. And if I am throttled, I will look at other avenues to hinder the network.

So you feel ok acting like a 3 year old who just got in trouble for doing something you "know" is wrong and being told you can't do it again?

That is exactly how you are acting. I have a 3 year old son, I know how he acts, and that is how you are acting.

You basically were told "NO" to being able to use a paid service for free and now you are throwing a tanterum. I wonder what your parents would think?

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
She would laugh, because she hates Verizon. :D

You sound mad that I am still getting my way through any means necessary.

gsdreams

Reaction score

I'm not angry or anything else. I just think it is ridiculous that anyone over the age of around 16 would act like a child like this.

No cellular company offers free tethering that I know of. So you are trying to get a service for free that no one else is going to offer you either.

And since you can't right now, you are throwing a fit instead of acting like an adult.

And why are you with Verizon if your mother hates them?

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
I am still tethering using PDANet. The Wireless Tether was a nice added bonus, but I can live without it.

And this is a funny place to be having a discussion about breaking the TOS. Technically using this or any other custom ROM is doing the exact same thing. :icon_evil:

Last edited:

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
Wireless Tether 2.0.2 works with Liberty GB! Just a heads up. Downloading of torrents will cease.

freezyfreaky

Reaction score

Just wanted you to know that Verizon's unlimited data plan explicitly prohibits torrents or any "P2P file sharing applications" in their Terms of Service. I would suggest downloading the Linux distros directly from their websites if you want to protest without violating the TOS.

Reaction score
I am still tethering using PDANet. The Wireless Tether was a nice added bonus, but I can live without it.

And this is a funny place to be having a discussion about breaking the TOS. Technically using this or any other custom ROM is doing the exact same thing. :icon_evil:

Downloading a custom rom isn't a service verizon offers. Tethering is.

Don't get me wrong, I tether, and will continue to do so, and ill keep my opinions to myself on it. I'm not a strain on the network though, I rarely pass 2 gigs a month

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

gsdreams

Reaction score

Downloading a custom rom isn't a service verizon offers. Tethering is.

Don't get me wrong, I tether, and will continue to do so, and ill keep my opinions to myself on it. I'm not a strain on the network though, I rarely pass 2 gigs a month

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

What's funny is you can download the files directly from the site without violating the TOS at all, without even rooting your phone. Just need an app called "Download All" and you can download anything you want from the web. :)

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
Wasn't talking about downloading a ROM, I know that is not against the TOS. But installing a custom ROM on Verizons device is, and that is what most of us here are doing. :)

Just wanted to give another nod to Wireless Tether 2.0.2 that is working great on GB. You have to deal with adhoc, and constantly renaming of AndroidTether1, AndroidTether2, etc. But pulling nearly 1Mbps tethered while I type this.

freezyfreaky

Reaction score
Wasn't talking about downloading a ROM, I know that is not against the TOS. But installing a custom ROM on Verizons device is, and that is what most of us here are doing. :)

Just wanted to give another nod to Wireless Tether 2.0.2 that is working great on GB. You have to deal with adhoc, and constantly renaming of AndroidTether1, AndroidTether2, etc. But pulling nearly 1Mbps tethered while I type this.

It's not against the TOS to install a custom ROM. It just voids your warranty.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

I'm not angry or anything else. I just think it is ridiculous that anyone over the age of around 16 would act like a child like this.

No cellular company offers free tethering that I know of. So you are trying to get a service for free that no one else is going to offer you either.

And since you can't right now, you are throwing a fit instead of acting like an adult.

And why are you with Verizon if your mother hates them?

+1. Very strange and childish behavior, but unfortunately the android community is made up of many strange and childish people.

...and people wonder why OEMs and carriers want to lock phones down. When you got adults acting like 5 year olds, thats what happens.

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
It seems as though you are right on that one. Both are shady in Verizons eyes, but we do them any way. This is a reason why the morality arguments are asinine to conduct. I, along with many others, will continue to "steal" from Verizon happily and go about our daily lives. And others will void their warranties with the knowledge that they will still be able to use their warranty if something catastrophic happens. Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.