Verizon warning while tethering

Status
Not open for further replies.

crypto

Reaction score
Its not really a moral debate. go to an all you can eat buffet, does your whole family get to eat for the $6 lunch special? No. Unlimited data for your mobile device does not equate to unlimited data for your mobile device and your pc and your xbox etc. I'm not passing judgement, simply stating a fact.

tappin and a talkin

an interesting read:

On Tethering, A Response to James Kendrick | Carrypad

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
Its not really a moral debate. go to an all you can eat buffet, does your whole family get to eat for the $6 lunch special? No. Unlimited data for your mobile device does not equate to unlimited data for your mobile device and your pc and your xbox etc. I'm not passing judgement, simply stating a fact.

tappin and a talkin

an interesting read:

This guy gets it, and he explains it well. Regardless of which device you use, you are limited by the connection speed. Everyone loves to say the tetherers are killing the network, but in reality, i could use as much bandwidth as them if i was constantly downloading on my phone.

While i don't argue that we all signed a contract saying we would get royally screwed if we want to legally tether, it is a freaking ridiculous concept.

OP
D

drum747

Reaction score
Pretty good article. I agree.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

gimlet72

Reaction score
You can still run PDANet which will tether via BT or via the usb cord. I prefer it any ways. Its a little but quick and if u are plugged via usb it doesnt drain your battery.

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
Is there a reason why they only have the warning pop up for wireless tether? Or do you think will they start cracking down on PDANet and EasyTether users in the future?

freezyfreaky

Reaction score

tappin and a talkin

an interesting read:

This guy gets it, and he explains it well. Regardless of which device you use, you are limited by the connection speed. Everyone loves to say the tetherers are killing the network, but in reality, i could use as much bandwidth as them if i was constantly downloading on my phone.

While i don't argue that we all signed a contract saying we would get royally screwed if we want to legally tether, it is a freaking ridiculous concept.

My guess is if that Verizon made wireless tethering free that their infrastructure wouldn't be able to handle the demand. Most companies would design their infrastructure to be peak usage + a certain percentage over to be safe and adding additional capacity as usage demand grows. I'm sure their design goals did not include free tethering because to support that would require a lot more cell towers. So why not charge the people who really need tethering? They will be willing to pay for it because they need it and it makes it worth while for Verizon to increase capacity if they are making money.

I've always thought that if any of the carriers had the capacity to support free tethering already, that they would offer it. It would be a big incentive to attract customers over from other competitors and if their infrastructure can handle it it wouldn't add any additional costs. But I don't think that is the case for any of the mobile companies. I think most mobile companies are having enough issues handling the load for the growth of smartphones from feature phones.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

tappin and a talkin

an interesting read:

It doesn't matter if he "gets it" or not......It's not his network.

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
They need to throttle all users a piece of the pie. I don't care if I have to be stuck at something like 300k if the network runs better and I can tether.

A user with the slingplayer app is much more crippling to the network than someone tethering to check emails, or browsing the internet due to their home internet being down.

bplewis24

Reaction score

tappin and a talkin

an interesting read:

Thanks for posting this. I've made these points several times on this forum and others, and people still refuse to acknowledge the merits of them. The first point he makes is the most significant and is what applies to this particular situation the most. Regardless, most people will still ignorantly gloss over it and say "it's in the ToS!!! It makes it illegal."

No, no it doesn't.

Brandon

majorcovert

Reaction score
Ok so Im running Liberty Gingerbread and I can't get either Barnacle or Wireless tether to work. I see the mobile hotpot settings and I try that and it connects. I used it a couple of times over the last 2 days. Today I go to tether and I am online for maybe 30 seconds when a message comes up from Verizon asking me to sign up for mobile hotpot at 20.00 a month. I cannot surf at all. I closed it down and reopened,same thing
happened hmmmm. How can I get back to using Barnacle or wireless tether? Anyone else have this happen? Am I missing something? I don't remember reading any warnings or issues about the built in wifi hotpot. Does this mean im now on "The list". Are guys dressed in Black waiting for me at my house?

Wireless Hotspot is Verizon's Hotspot Application. When you engage the Hotspot App it puts the data connection to a WAP server that is defferent than the current 3G you are currently using. That server identifies that you are not registered with that server and that why is gives the page to enroll. The same would happen to you were on a stock Froyo phone and tried to use the stock Hotspot app.

You'll notice when you turn on Wireless Hotspot it disconnects your 3G and then reconnects. That is the phone changing the type of data connection you are using.

There are patches (TB Hotspot Patch) that bypasses this by putting you back on the regular 3G network but still allows you to use the more stable Verizon Hotspot App. That is why you don't get that enroll page with the patch or the other programs.

You'll notice with programs like "Wireless Tether", "Barnacle", or "PDAnet" you don't lose you data connection when you engage the tether. These programs act more of data connection sharing. Just like the old Windows 6.5 phones use to do. All you had to do with those is plug your phone into the computer and the computer would have internet. Or if you computer had internet and your phone didn't the phone would share the connection with the computer.

And no you are not on a list. As far as Verizon is concerned you are still using the regular 3G connection. However, you can always use a VPN to encrypt your network usage if you are worried.

freezyfreaky

Reaction score

tappin and a talkin

an interesting read:

Thanks for posting this. I've made these points several times on this forum and others, and people still refuse to acknowledge the merits of them. The first point he makes is the most significant and is what applies to this particular situation the most. Regardless, most people will still ignorantly gloss over it and say "it's in the ToS!!! It makes it illegal."

No, no it doesn't.

Brandon

Don't get me wrong. I believe that tethering should be free. But there is nothing illegal in the way Verizon or any other mobile company is offering their services for tethering. Unfair pricing because you are paying for the same bandwidth but using it for another device? Maybe so. Illegal? No. Not until someone brings up a case and wins in court that is not a legal business practice.

Now, is it illegal to deliberately circumvent a system to get a paid service for free? To me, that can be construed as theft of services especially since the customer signs an agreement that states that they understand that tethering is a paid service. Is it against the TOS? Absolutely. Illegal? Well, I rather have a lawyer experienced in these matters tell me if it is legal or not and not some random guy writing a column on technology.

Last edited:

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
Ok so Im running Liberty Gingerbread and I can't get either Barnacle or Wireless tether to work. I see the mobile hotpot settings and I try that and it connects. I used it a couple of times over the last 2 days. Today I go to tether and I am online for maybe 30 seconds when a message comes up from Verizon asking me to sign up for mobile hotpot at 20.00 a month. I cannot surf at all. I closed it down and reopened,same thing
happened hmmmm. How can I get back to using Barnacle or wireless tether? Anyone else have this happen? Am I missing something? I don't remember reading any warnings or issues about the built in wifi hotpot. Does this mean im now on "The list". Are guys dressed in Black waiting for me at my house?

Wireless Hotspot is Verizon's Hotspot Application. When you engage the Hotspot App it puts the data connection to a WAP server that is defferent than the current 3G you are currently using. That server identifies that you are not registered with that server and that why is gives the page to enroll. The same would happen to you were on a stock Froyo phone and tried to use the stock Hotspot app.

You'll notice when you turn on Wireless Hotspot it disconnects your 3G and then reconnects. That is the phone changing the type of data connection you are using.

There are patches (TB Hotspot Patch) that bypasses this by putting you back on the regular 3G network but still allows you to use the more stable Verizon Hotspot App. That is why you don't get that enroll page with the patch or the other programs.

You'll notice with programs like "Wireless Tether", "Barnacle", or "PDAnet" you don't lose you data connection when you engage the tether. These programs act more of data connection sharing. Just like the old Windows 6.5 phones use to do. All you had to do with those is plug your phone into the computer and the computer would have internet. Or if you computer had internet and your phone didn't the phone would share the connection with the computer.

And no you are not on a list. As far as Verizon is concerned you are still using the regular 3G connection. However, you can always use a VPN to encrypt your network usage if you are worried.

If that is how it works, why is wireless tether blocked, and not PDANet?

Snow02

Reaction score
Because wireless tether works differently than pda net. Wireless tether does internal ip re-routing, which the system now picks up on. Pda net uses a client/server method that the system doesn't detect.

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
I wonder if the update that made the Wireless Tether app able to tether normally without adhoc is a reason. Will try the old version and see if it is blocked as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.