Verizon vs Sprint Switcher-roo?

armeddroid

Reaction score
Always consider coverage where you need it. Don't count on coverage maps. I've lived in areas marked as "good" with unusable to no coverage. Any generalized discussion on coverage is pretty pointless. You might want to inquire with anyone on Sprint in your specific area. Definitely use their 30 days (or whatever they offer) to fully test things out and make a final decision.

Thats where my mistake was..I used the coverage maps and moved to the location i am at. And as soon as i got here, my signal was all spotty.

mcapozzi

Reaction score
Always consider coverage where you need it. Don't count on coverage maps. I've lived in areas marked as "good" with unusable to no coverage. Any generalized discussion on coverage is pretty pointless. You might want to inquire with anyone on Sprint in your specific area. Definitely use their 30 days (or whatever they offer) to fully test things out and make a final decision.

+1, use the 30 day trial to your advantage.

It is the only way to be sure.

Coverage maps are "optimistic" at best, at worst they are a downright lie.

-Mike

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Sprint's coverage was, at one point, notoriously over-saturated. The problem was actually worse in big cities.

Maybe it's not that way any more, but 4G is also not very built out and 1st gen is going to be buggy.

IMO, if you travel a fair amount and need your phone to work all over the US then VZW is the only reasonable option.

Schimm

Reaction score
I just got done checking cellreception.com looking at Sprint comments for my area (as I've been interested in the EVO too). Not very favorable. I've been around the block with just about every carrier (except Sprint) and come to appreciate Verizon. So EVO is out for me. On the other hand I know a number of iPhone users and they don't have issues with AT&T service. Still I'm not crazy about the iPhone maze of icons layout. I own both an iPad and iTouch and while I like them, I think the Android OS is better.....I just want it to be faster which I'm hoping is just around the corner with froyo.

Arkainzeye

Reaction score
I seen where sprint got the worst score from jd. powers. They were dead last

Schimm

Reaction score
Consumer Reports conducts a survey every year on carrier satisfaction by metro area. I know for DFW Verizon is first and I want to say that AT&T was a close second and Sprint last. Anyway perhaps its worth getting your hands on that issue if you're looking to change to Sprint or any other carrier.

FDFTW!!

Reaction score
I have been with all of the major carriers over the years. AT&T (twice), Cingular, SBC, Verizon, LA Cellular (now AT&T), Sprint, Nextel (before and after Sprint bought them), and so on and so forth. No one has given me as good of coverage as Verizon, ever.

That is why I switched back to Verizon from AT&T, and gave up my iPhone for the DROID. Of course, I have no regrets now, but I had some qualms at first. Given the choice between either Sprint or Verizon, I'd pick Verizon in a heartbeat, based on my previous experience with Sprint.

tlpalmer01

Reaction score
i just left sprint after 3 years and got the droid (switched from hero) and i must say that the coverage in my area is much better, i live near detroit mi and i used to drop calls all the time with sprint and havent yet with verizon, the calls also seem to be clearer. i liked the unlimited mobile to mobile with any provider that sprint had though but i would still rather have better coverage and reliability with verizon.

kristoff125

Reaction score
I don't think I could ever justify leaving verizon, their prices are higher, however their service is substantially better.

Bdog

Reaction score
If you're already with Verizon, you may as well stay with them. No point in throwing down a hefty down payment for a new service plan. Also, I know a lot of people who use Sprint and complain about dropped calls and missed text messages almost as much as AT&T users, and I live in the Greater Houston area..

And with the number of reported Droid phones coming to VZW this year (including the first 2GHz before year end), I'd stick with the network I know and trust.

kristoff125

Reaction score
About that 2ghz, what are the best on it, a dual core 1ghz, which is still 2ghz of power, or a mythical 2ghz chip ready for mass production by years end?
OMAP™ 4 Platform - OMAP4430/OMAP4440
I'm hoping for the TI, since they seem to be a lot more reliable than the snapdragon, or easier to overclock...or something, rated at 600 and clocked upwards of 1300. Clearly a beast of a chip.