Verizon Voice Mail Icon

Telescopist

Reaction score
I did a search and people all the way back to 2008 are pulling their hair out with respect to killing off the Verizon voicemail icon on the status bar. I use YouMail in order to retrieve my msg. My phone is a MAXX and I recently "upgraded" to JB. What fun that was/is. My phone is rooted. I have tried everything short of going to another carrier. I have gone into App info and done a Force Stop/unchecked Show notifications. I have punched in *86 and attempted to delete messages that don't exist. I opened up SQlite Editor>Verizon Voicemail>'No databases found'. Why does Verizon torture us with crap like this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's not like my phone is broke. It's more like someone came into my house without knocking. :blink:

GotnFX

Reaction score
If you have a VZ VM indicator in the notification bar and you have no new or saved messages,

1. Dial *86 or get into VZ VM
2. Hit 4 to go into personal options
3. Hit 1 to Turn off message indicator.
4. Exit out.
5. Go back in and Turn on message indicator by again going into personal options (4) and Message indicator (1).

I think it may work if you turn off, wait a few seconds and then immediately turn back on without exiting out.

If you don't use VZ VM, then go back in and turn the indicator off.

OP
Telescopist

Telescopist

Reaction score
If you have a VZ VM indicator in the notification bar and you have no new or saved messages,

1. Dial *86 or get into VZ VM
2. Hit 4 to go into personal options
3. Hit 1 to Turn off message indicator.
4. Exit out.
5. Go back in and Turn on message indicator by again going into personal options (4) and Message indicator (1).

I think it may work if you turn off, wait a few seconds and then immediately turn back on without exiting out.

If you don't use VZ VM, then go back in and turn the indicator off.

Thank for your suggestions. Here is what happens to me when I punch in '*86'. I begin hear my recorded message>I hit the 4 key. There is no prompt for turning off the msg. indicator. Instead #1 has to do with re-recording my message. All the other prompts are associated with what to do with the message. I had already gone into Apps>VZ VM>disable>uncheck "Show Notifications". Despite taking these steps, the VZ VM icon persistently reappeared in the status bar. Update sort of... It hasn't popped up today.

GotnFX

Reaction score
If it went straight to your messages, sounds like a new message was never heard which would be a reason why you had a VZ VM indicator in the notification bar. If you go back into VM, it should say..you have no new messages..then will give you different options..such as pressing 4 for personal options.

Either way, glad to hear it has been resolved.