Verizon update_SCH-I545_NC5_to_NG6 unlock issue

gvrider

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4 SCH-I545
I read somewhere that Samsung builds the update for the phones, then sends it to the providers for their customizations. If that is incorrect, that is my misunderstanding.

Had a bear of a time getting a successful backup through Kies, as the darned phone kept rebooting. Finally completed successfully, so its on to the factory reset. Thanks for your help KaosMaster.

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
Finally completed successfully, so its on to the factory reset. Thanks for your help KaosMaster.

No problem! I hope this fixes your issues! If you need any more help, just let me know!! I Won't stop till your phone is perfect! :)

MarkS1110

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
Ok, sounds like you really need a reset then! Unfortunately, not much else you can do to back them up! Make sure your google is completely synced before you reset and good luck!

I bit the bullet and did a hard reset early Tuesday. The lock ups and restarts are still present. The screen is also staying on after minutes of inactivity. I am not real pleased or sure what to try next.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
A hard reset and a factory data reset are two different things. I'm assuming you did the latter via system settings, backup & reset, factory data reset?
6bJgxR2.jpg

9 out of 10 times this will resolve your issues. Of course you may have experienced that 1 time it didn't. Good luck & hang in there....hopefully these guys will have some other suggestions for you to try.

S5 tap'n

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
If you did in fact Factory data Reset, and nothing has changed...your gonna need to odin flash to fix it

gvrider

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4 SCH-I545
I did the factory reset last night and everything has been running fine ever since.

MarkS1110

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
A hard reset and a factory data reset are two different things. I'm assuming you did the latter via system settings, backup & reset, factory data reset?
9 out of 10 times this will resolve your issues. Of course you may have experienced that 1 time it didn't. Good luck & hang in there....hopefully these guys will have some other suggestions for you to try.

I did a 'factory data reset' with the Verizon rep on the line. After a 24 hrs with same issues I called Verizon back and they decided to send me another blue S4. I asked for a S5 upgrade but that did not work out. I hope this phone has better operation.

Brandeeat

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4
I have had the same issues. My update went through 2 nights ago an ever since then my phone shuts offand restarts every 30-60 minutes. Then randomly it locks up and I am unable to use it for a few minutes. It is driving me CRAZY and I have never had problems with my droids. Can we just get rid of this nightmare update?

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I have had the same issues. My update went through 2 nights ago an ever since then my phone shuts offand restarts every 30-60 minutes. Then randomly it locks up and I am unable to use it for a few minutes. It is driving me CRAZY and I have never had problems with my droids. Can we just get rid of this nightmare update?
Did you factory reset after you got KitKat?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Welcome to the forum Brandeeat!
As Kaos mentioned, a factory data reset is always recommended after a major update like this. Good luck & let us know how you make out.
And good luck with your replacement device MarkS!

S5 tap'n

OP
M

Malkavian

Reaction score
Well. Its been 10 Days since starting this conversation so thought an update was in order. After the FDR and reloading programs, I didn't use Kies, things seem to be very stable. No restarts every hour. Programs seem to run faster I think. Did have one issue last Tuesday. Had full bars and 4glte but could not hear a person after answering a call or after making a call. I power cycled the phone and all worked again. Hasn't reappeared since.

MarkS1110

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
I have had the same issues. My update went through 2 nights ago an ever since then my phone shuts offand restarts every 30-60 minutes. Then randomly it locks up and I am unable to use it for a few minutes. It is driving me CRAZY and I have never had problems with my droids.

I got my replacement S4 from Verizon on Monday. I switched over phones last night. The Kies program works for some things but not others, kind of hit or miss. I will post an update after a few days of usage.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I read somewhere that Samsung builds the update for the phones, then sends it to the providers for their customizations. If that is incorrect, that is my misunderstanding.

Had a bear of a time getting a successful backup through Kies, as the darned phone kept rebooting. Finally completed successfully, so its on to the factory reset. Thanks for your help KaosMaster.
That's correct. Samsung builds their version of android and then submits it to the carriers. I'm not sure whether it's JUST the carriers that add the bloatware and other tweaks, or if they work with Sammy, but that's the way it goes.

That's how you end up with Verizon branded apps and others on your phone.

Neoart

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4 White SCH1545
Got brave & let update do its thing last night - All is well.
I was hoping it didn't reset the intrusion background settings I had in place to not push, or allow any process other than WiFi.
Flight Sim game works the same before & after.