Verizon to team up with Redbox

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
rb.png

Verizon is reportedly in talks with Redbox to team up and compete with Netflix by offering streaming video content to a variety of devices and set top boxes. The new service, code named Project Zoetrope, will be an internet only service and be available for devices running iOS, Android, Google TV, Xbox and other streaming boxes and browsers. Apparently, it’s still being worked out with content providers and will follow the typical blackout and release timings for new movies and television to keep execs happy.

According to TechCrunch, you can expect a launch on May 28th with a beta starting sometime in late April. Pricing structure is a little bit out of the norm with monthly credits along the lines of $6 for 6 credits to rent a movie costing 1 credit. Seeing how Rebox also offers physical disc rentals at their kiosks around the country, there will also be various pricing tiers offering physical rentals as well. We’ll keep you updated as we learn more.

SOURCE: Verizon And RedBox Planning Major Partnership For Early 2012 Launch | TechCrunch

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
This could only be a good thing for consumers! Maybe it'll spur Netflix to step their game up! :rockon:

Jonas

Reaction score
I personally use netflix like crack. At $8 bucks a month, I get pretty much what I want, WITHOUT commercials, I actually canceled my cable because of netflix. I see this as good, because netflix has been running a chokehold on streaming movies, and usually is slow to add new movies to their instant view setup. And Redbox's claim to fame is that they have all the NEW movies. So I think Netflix will have to start adding newer movies quicker, and might even knock their prices down. I'm with you trestevenson, this will be good for the consumer. I run my netflix through my PS3, so this would be welcome to come over to Sony, but I also have an Xbox360, that I saw mentioned, so I wouldn't mind using one for one, and the other for the other. Could be a novel concept.

EDIT: the main reason I use netflix is the ability to sit and watch shows like Burn Notice or Rescue Me consecutively without having to switch discs. If redbox would run seasons of TV shows in this supposed deal, then we might have a fair game on our hands.

Last edited:

DROOIID

Reaction score
You know how Verizon feels about unlimited anything, say goodbye to unlimited streaming for the $8

Jonas

Reaction score
You know how Verizon feels about unlimited anything, say goodbye to unlimited streaming for the $8

$8 comes from netflix, not Verizon, so I think it's safe. And I think Netflix just up'ed their prices. Idk, I'm grandfathered in.

Tillmorn

Reaction score
I have a feeling that by this time next year people who fail to root their phones are going to have to deal with Netflix disappearing from their devices and Verizon blocking downloads of it in the market. Kind of how they're also keeping Google Wallet off the Nexus device...

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
This is just dumb, we don't need nothing that can't match or beat Netflix.

Sent by my Bolt powered by Thunder

jerkwad

Reaction score
I have a feeling that by this time next year people who fail to root their phones are going to have to deal with Netflix disappearing from their devices and Verizon blocking downloads of it in the market. Kind of how they're also keeping Google Wallet off the Nexus device...

Comparing google wallet to this isn't really that fair. From this link Statement From Verizon On Google Wallet it sounds like Google wallet is a whole different beast when it comes to the interaction of phone hardware and Google software. Netflix will never be taken off the Android Market by Verizon or they would be instantly sued by Netflix (do you really think netflix is going to sit by and let that happen without a fight?! - which they would easily win under anti-competitive laws). Also, remember there is another app out there from Blockbuster (i don't use it, but i believe it streams stuff too, right?).

I do agree this is great news for the consumer, as it will only force ALL parties involved to step things up in terms of quality of service, user experience, available titles, prices (hopefully!), special promos, etc. I am concerned that they didn't list PS3 on their list of devices, however! My XBox has become a paperweight as I refuse to pay the gold membership fees to use the features that i'm already paying for (Netflix/LastFM/etc) when my PS3 is there and works with no additional cost (and they both have the same titles available for games, mostly). I have no issues with Verizon and RedBox teaming up to do something like this. I am also not worried about Netflix going anywhere, anytime soon. If it is better than Netflix and meets my needs, i would happily give them my money instead of Netflix - may the best service win!

Jonas

Reaction score
Comparing google wallet to this isn't really that fair. From this link Statement From Verizon On Google Wallet it sounds like Google wallet is a whole different beast when it comes to the interaction of phone hardware and Google software. Netflix will never be taken off the Android Market by Verizon or they would be instantly sued by Netflix (do you really think netflix is going to sit by and let that happen without a fight?! - which they would easily win under anti-competitive laws). Also, remember there is another app out there from Blockbuster (i don't use it, but i believe it streams stuff too, right?).

I do agree this is great news for the consumer, as it will only force ALL parties involved to step things up in terms of quality of service, user experience, available titles, prices (hopefully!), special promos, etc. I am concerned that they didn't list PS3 on their list of devices, however! My XBox has become a paperweight as I refuse to pay the gold membership fees to use the features that i'm already paying for (Netflix/LastFM/etc) when my PS3 is there and works with no additional cost (and they both have the same titles available for games, mostly). I have no issues with Verizon and RedBox teaming up to do something like this. I am also not worried about Netflix going anywhere, anytime soon. If it is better than Netflix and meets my needs, i would happily give them my money instead of Netflix - may the best service win!

Why do you have to pay for your XBL to get netflix? I haven't been a gold member in well on a year now, and I can still watch netflix, and I could probably use last.fm too without, just haven't tried since my xbox is also more of a paperweight now, since I use my PS3 for most everything.