Verizon to Stop Rebate Program!!!

Guyute

Reaction score
I really don't think I would be willing to pay more for LTE. I've never thought my Droid X was slow and for a phone I really don't see why I need anything faster. Other might, but I don't.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
I can see VZW selling 3G and LTE android devices for the same price so they can get the maximum amount of revenue out of the sale of the product. For those of us that say why do I want a slower network connecting device, we will still pay the same as the 3G capable device only but will also have to pay for the LTE service.

As hookbill stated earlier, this marketing strategy could very well end of bitting VZW in the butt.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
I really don't think I would be willing to pay more for LTE. I've never thought my Droid X was slow and for a phone I really don't see why I need anything faster. Other might, but I don't.

I'm just hoping that having LTE service isn't mandatory, though Sprint requires additional payment for their 4G service, even if it isn't available in your area.

wingdo

Reaction score
I'm not going to lie... I'm more than a little disturbed by the direction that Verizon has been going recently. From what I've been seeing recently, Unlimited Data plans are on the way out, 4G plans are going to be much more expensive than the now-outdated 3G ($120-$240 more per year) plans. The in-store free-return policy has been cut in half. All new Android devices are heading toward a lock-down where Verizon will be able to control what you can and cannot do with the hardware and software. And now, they are completely eliminating the rebate program. All this while selling out to Apple to bring the iPhone on board.

I'm sorry, but I am not ok with all this. Sure, for now you will see the $199 prices, but only for phones that have already been out. Whats to keep them from charging full price on all handsets from now on? There is nothing, and thats the problem. Within 6 months, everything will be at the pre-rebate price.

If you ask me, Big Red is getting a little too full of itself, and I'm starting to think they are screwing around in areas they shouldn't. Sure, their LTE service might be nice, but I'm not sure its worth all this hassle. Especially when the network is about to be completely bogged down by iPhone users.

I'm not going to lie. I'm getting tired of people complaining when they do not have any facts just their own speculation.

VZW has NEVER stated they are doing away with unlimited data. Hell, most of the reports on the web regarding data are stating the pricing will remain the same. At worst they may add $10 to the unlimited plan for 4G (just like other vendors).

Yes, there are 4G data plans for 5GB max, but those are for USB modems and is NO different from the already in place 5GB limits on 3G.

Verizon is doing away with mail in rebates high priced smart phones and in place is just lowering the price up front when they would normally make you mail in a rebate form and sit and pray.

How the heck do you *know* that after 6 months they will do away with the lower prices which have replaced the rebate program??? You don't that's how.

How the heck do you know unlimited data plans are on the way out? You don't know. Every carrier (OK, Just AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint to name four) are talking in their board rooms about whether or not their data rates are sustainable for the required build outs, but until tiered pricing without any unlimited price comes out, you are just speculating based on rumors read in the comments sections of rumor stories.

Seriously, stopped getting so worked up over rumors. If you think the rumors of what may happen at T-Mobile are better than the rumors of what may happen at Verizon, by all means get ticked off and switch carriers.

However, speaking as one of the VZW people who got in on the customer loyalty plan for $69.95 a few months ago with unlimited data / text / F&F / 450 minutes I'm a relatively happy camper with regards to their pricing and plans.

Until something comes out as fact, I don't go crazy over what could happen possibly down the road at some unspecified date.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Why is everyone acting like they're raising the price of their phones when they're saving you the trouble of sending in a rebate by mail?

The only phones that will have to mail in rebates will be those that are below $150. So they don't benefit from it. According to the leak, if you even bother to read the source info at AndroidCentral, the higher priced phones will be sold at the price that you would normally have to send in the rebate to get. They're basically doing what Best Buy does.

What do you mean I can't mail in a rebate form and wait 6 weeks!? Forget this! I'm going to SPRINT!

junpar

Reaction score
This is in fact good news guys.. You don't have to mail in the rebate form you get 100$ in store i.e. you pay 199$ instead of the 299$ + 100$ mail-in rebate form. Verizon is doing everyone a huge favor.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Wow! :blush: I guess I should have read the damn article first before posting. Yeah it clearly states that they are eliminating mail-in-rebates for phones prices $150 or more. So that means in transactions will be instant when purchasing a phone for $150 or more.

I'm a little disappointed that I didn't wait another week because I just got my wife a DX last weekend and we have to do the mail-in-rebate thing.

Mopdaddy

Reaction score
LoL I guess more and more people started sending in those rebates.

The thing with rebates is they can tell you the product will be cheaper b/cof the rebate, but a % of people don't follow through with the rebate so the company makes out better then making the product cheaper.

R

RETG

Saves on sales tax. With a rebate, you pay sales tax, at least in most states on the sale amount, not the amount after the rebate. So some states will collect less taxes from the sales of smart phones.

sarreq

Reaction score
Great News? only if this means they're eliminating Mail-In Rebates in favor of deeper in-store discounts...

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
LoL I guess more and more people started sending in those rebates.

The thing with rebates is they can tell you the product will be cheaper b/cof the rebate, but a % of people don't follow through with the rebate so the company makes out better then making the product cheaper.

Yeah, I kept meaning to do it but since I do so little by mail I never have stamps....Ended up sending in a $100 rebate a week or two past the 90 day deadline. VZW still honored it.

And agree with the other poster about people getting all worked up over essentially baseless rumors. People keep mistaking the mobile broadband plans as evidence of price hikes, eventhough those were unchanged from 3G (and in a few cases, cheaper).

tyler.norton360

Reaction score
I'm not too happy with vzw with their rebate program. I bought a brand new droid incredible in July. I was told my rebate would be in from 6-8 weeks. Six months later still no rebate... not too happy:icon_evil:

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I'm not too happy with vzw with their rebate program. I bought a brand new droid incredible in July. I was told my rebate would be in from 6-8 weeks. Six months later still no rebate... not too happy:icon_evil:

From my experience, that is unusual. My last rebate was for my Droid that I bought in November 2009 and it came in about 4 weeks. That was my 3rd or 4th Verizon MIR and all of them came in less than the 6-8 weeks.

Benjamin Stone

Reaction score
I work for a vzw indirect retailer. I'm being told to price the D2G, DX, and Fascinate at $199.99 in-store, no rebate. Boss said to price it like an online instant discount.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App