Verizon to roll out this week?

jer39

Reaction score
Hey all,

Perhaps some encouraging news from those of you who per-ordered from Verizon. I called Verizon over the weekend to address a billing question. In the process I asked the rep if she knew when they would begin shipping the S3 and was told the plan was to start sending them out this week.

So maybe their ship-by date is actually a ship "by" date and that many of us will be getting our phones well before that date. This would make sense for a couple of reasons...first, they may have anticipated a high demand and just wanted to create a buffer for themselves in case they couldn't ship out at an earlier date. Second, Verizon's all-share plan kicked in on June 28th, so to discourage more people from grandfathering in under the old unlimited data plan, they may have wanted to artificially create a ship-by date that was well past the 6/28 change in the phone plans. By this I mean that if Verizon unleashed the S3 on 6/21, then many more people would have had a chance to see and buy into the phone in advance of the 6/28 date. But Verizon doesn't really want people on that old plan...they want people to pay more for the new plan. And by putting the ship by date into mid July, there are certainly a large group of people who would simply be unwilling to buy a phone sight unseen just to stay in the unlimited data plan. Finally, the latest rumor is that the S3 will be coming to Verizon stores on Thursday 7/12. If that's the case, surely they won't wait till 7/11 to first start shipping out the millions of phones that have been on pre-order since early June.

Admittedly, I'm just theorizing here and perhaps a bit impatient to get the phone other carriers started shipping out already. But I doubt that Verizon would have their reps saying that the phone is shipping out this week unless it was true. Thoughts?

Jmoore1701

Reaction score
I like your reasoning, jer39...and I've always felt that their "ship by" date was not a "ship ON" date.
It would make sense for them to build in a "buffer" based on how pre-orders stacked up against actual inventory and availability. I also agree that it wouldn't make sense for them to ship the pre-ordered phones at the same time that they are avaliable in stores: no advantage to pre-ordering, in other words.
As for the unlimited data gambit: I don't know. Possibly Samsung forced Verizon's hand by making the phone available on so many carriers before VZW was ready to implement Shared Data.
Unlimited Data isn't as good for VZW's bottom line as Shared Data is, I agree; on the other hand, Verizon surely didn't want to be seen as forcing people out of unlimited. So it seems to me they had to do a quick little dance to accommodate Samsung AND Shared Data AND grandfathered unlimited plans.
I'm impatient to get that phone, too! But I don't feel like I'm buying it sight unseen...not after reading every online and video review I could find!

kaylesworth

Reaction score
As far as the grandfathering of the unlimited data plans, I was called by a Verizon rep on 6/21 to tell me that I had an upgrade available and that if I wanted to keep my unlimited data plan I would have to upgrade before 6/28. As a long time follower of this forum, I already knew that and told him that I had already pre-ordered my S3 and locked in my data plan. So I'm not so sure that Verizon is as devious as stated above. As far as the shipping early, I suppose it's possible. I checked my order status and it has the ship date as 7/9. I ordered the S3 on 6/7. I guess we'll have to wait and see. If I get it before the 10th I'll be pleasantly shocked.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Beka27

Reaction score
I'm happy it might come early... but concerned. We'll be out of town a few days for the 4th. I was counting on it not shipping til at least Monday the 9th.

What would happen if there was no one here to sign for it? :icon_eek: Could I leave a note on the door giving permission for my family member (who lives next door) to sign?!

JRParsons

Reaction score
Beka27 said:
I'm happy it might come early... but concerned. We'll be out of town a few days for the 4th. I was counting on it not shipping til at least Monday the 9th.

What would happen if there was no one here to sign for it? :icon_eek: Could I leave a note on the door giving permission for my family member (who lives next door) to sign?!

I've left a note asking Fed Ex to go 3 houses up the street for a signature. The package was at my neighbors house when I got home.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score

Package is send with signature required, if no one is there to sign for it, they will try again I think twice, then it's back to Verizon.

huskur

Reaction score

That is acceptable. A friend of mine just did that same thing

rushmore

Reaction score
Considering we have not seen a demo in store, or an actual device reviewed and then factor in the Incredible 4G that WAS announced with a date for this week- I suggest there is no way it is available this week.

I would not be surprised if the VZW person confused it with the Incredible that was announced.... with a date.

jgmecarter

Reaction score
I just talked to verizon and i asked them if the SGS3 was going to get shipped out early and she said yes they are sending them out this week. I asked what day they are sending them out and she told me mine is getting sent out on the 9th. The expected ship date on my devise has always been the 9th. i guess we will just have to wait and see to when the money comes out of are account

rushmore

Reaction score
I respect what she said to you, but they are in the dark and get the same info as any other store. Nobody knows, so she probably confused things. No evidence at all supports this week.

As a result, I will be so bold to suggest she did not know what she was talking about. No offense intended, but bugs me when people act like they know something that only upper VZW people would know. I refer to the VZW person and not you.

Last edited:

huehuehue

Reaction score
I just talked to verizon and i asked them if the SGS3 was going to get shipped out early and she said yes they are sending them out this week. I asked what day they are sending them out and she told me mine is getting sent out on the 9th. The expected ship date on my devise has always been the 9th. i guess we will just have to wait and see to when the money comes out of are account

the 9th isn't this week though

Lightnspirit

Reaction score
I think that they might ship early, I pre ordered in the past on different phones and got my phone early. I think they just put that date there to cover themselves. In any case we will all have our phones in the next 9-11 days depending on FedEx.

Fyi about FedEx, the last driver that delivered my girlfriends RAZR said that if I left a note on my door saying it was ok to leave the package there with my signature on it, that would be ok.

I did that for a replacement phone and I came home, what do you know there it was! (I would not suggest this unless you have a private porch or something, we are talking about expensive phones)