Verizon to go iPhone Article

Discussion in 'Non-Android Smart Phones' started by rlandon, Dec 21, 2009.

1. rlandon

rlandon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    One of the mobile tech sites I visit had this article about mid way down. Although I highly doubt VZ would go with Apple, it's all about the $$$. :icon_evil:

2. DJTURNz

DJTURNz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't read the article, but according to my source, VZW is supposed to have an iPhone in 2010. I thought that was common knowledge.

3. A.C.Sanchez

A.C.Sanchez Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Story is basically that Verizon is "prepared" to handle the iPhone, should Apple end its exclusivity contract with ATT. That's like me saying that my parking space is "prepared" for a Ferrari, if they would like to send me one.

4. StupidGenius

StupidGenius Active Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Actually nothing has been confirmed by Apple or Verizon. It's pretty much speculation at this point. There has been more evidence to it being a possibility but nothing more than that.

I was someone who once wished Verizon would get the iPhone but since the release of the Droid I really don't care much.

5. StupidGenius

StupidGenius Active Member

Ratings:
    +33
    LOL!! That was great!! :rofl3:

6. JayMonster

JayMonster Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I only find it hard to believe that VZW would have the iPhone because of the iron will of both companies. Neither likes to have terms dictated to them by others.

But other than that, there is no reason they wouldn't want to work together. It means big money for them both. The only question left is... which one (if either) blinks first and yields to the other in order to get the deal done.

7. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    After the marketing campaign that Verizon has used for the Droid, I find it hard to believe that Apple will move over to Verizon.

8. LordKastle

LordKastle Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It is more about how far AT&T is willing to go to keep them exclusive and less about a Verizon/Apple agreement. A figure is possible because a lot of people on AT&T would jump over, so you wouldn't simply get all new revenue potential and exponential growth. There would definitely be an increase in sales but a figure is possible if AT&T truly wants to keep them exclusive. I say this because AT&T is more desperate for Apple than Verizon. Without Apple, AT&T would be a doormat. Without Apple, Verizon still battles.

The number would have to be a reflection of the estimated revenue that Apple would get from Verizon and AT&T would be willing to pay because they will lose out on a tremendous amount of revenue without the exclusiveness of Apple.

That being said if Apple hopped on over to Verizon, I would no doubt consider them as a viable option for purchase in the future (as well as a Blackberry, WinMobile or an Android device).

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  9. Laurence5905

Laurence5905 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed! 100%

Yeah, I can't see Apple forgiving Verizon for its "iDon't" commercials.

10. DogPaw

DogPaw Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think once Apple see's what Verizon has done with Droid sales and the number of customers that have switched to Verizon for the Droid and better network Apple is going to be all over Verizon as soon as they can get out of their agreement with AT&T. The big question is will it be too late, just look at what beta tapes did in the 80's against VHS by being exclusive to Sony. Beta was better format but VHS got all the market share by supporting everyone early.

11. mth04

mth04 Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thread moved

12. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +932
    Current Phone Model:
    Nokia Lumia Icon
    I hold this same belief.

I will also add that while the iPhone is a great piece of equipment iDon't see myself moving over to it simply because of the customization that Android brings (even without root access) and I'm not to keen on the iPhones UI (too pretty and clean)

With that said, news of the iPhone coming to VZW falls on deaf ears.

I'll be sticking with the Android OS for a few years and see where it goes.

13. JayMonster

JayMonster Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I think millions of dollars in profits can help both sides "get over" any issues with the marketing campaign. Never assume egos are strong enough to overcome $$$

14. SofaKing

SofaKing Member

Ratings:
    +0

15. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +932
    Current Phone Model:
    Nokia Lumia Icon

I think the campaign speaks for itself. "We have no intention of carrying the device so lets go on the attack with our weapon."

They could have went a million different ways with the campaign but they chose to attack the iPhone. Wouldn't make sense to then carry it a year later. "Well we were only kidding"

I'm speculating of course but it stands to reason.