Verizon to go iPhone Article

Discussion in 'Non-Android Smart Phones' started by rlandon, Dec 21, 2009.

1. rlandon

rlandon New Member

One of the mobile tech sites I visit had this article about mid way down. Although I highly doubt VZ would go with Apple, it's all about the $$$. :icon_evil:
  2. DJTURNz

DJTURNz Member

I didn't read the article, but according to my source, VZW is supposed to have an iPhone in 2010. I thought that was common knowledge.
  3. A.C.Sanchez

A.C.Sanchez New Member

Story is basically that Verizon is "prepared" to handle the iPhone, should Apple end its exclusivity contract with ATT. That's like me saying that my parking space is "prepared" for a Ferrari, if they would like to send me one.
  4. StupidGenius

StupidGenius Member

Actually nothing has been confirmed by Apple or Verizon. It's pretty much speculation at this point. There has been more evidence to it being a possibility but nothing more than that.

I was someone who once wished Verizon would get the iPhone but since the release of the Droid I really don't care much.
  5. StupidGenius

StupidGenius Member

LOL!! That was great!! :rofl3:
  6. JayMonster

JayMonster New Member

I only find it hard to believe that VZW would have the iPhone because of the iron will of both companies. Neither likes to have terms dictated to them by others.

But other than that, there is no reason they wouldn't want to work together. It means big money for them both. The only question left is... which one (if either) blinks first and yields to the other in order to get the deal done.
  7. JhankG

JhankG New Member

After the marketing campaign that Verizon has used for the Droid, I find it hard to believe that Apple will move over to Verizon.
  8. LordKastle

LordKastle New Member

It is more about how far AT&T is willing to go to keep them exclusive and less about a Verizon/Apple agreement. A figure is possible because a lot of people on AT&T would jump over, so you wouldn't simply get all new revenue potential and exponential growth. There would definitely be an increase in sales but a figure is possible if AT&T truly wants to keep them exclusive. I say this because AT&T is more desperate for Apple than Verizon. Without Apple, AT&T would be a doormat. Without Apple, Verizon still battles.

The number would have to be a reflection of the estimated revenue that Apple would get from Verizon and AT&T would be willing to pay because they will lose out on a tremendous amount of revenue without the exclusiveness of Apple.

That being said if Apple hopped on over to Verizon, I would no doubt consider them as a viable option for purchase in the future (as well as a Blackberry, WinMobile or an Android device).
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  9. Laurence5905

Laurence5905 New Member

Agreed! 100%

Yeah, I can't see Apple forgiving Verizon for its "iDon't" commercials.
  10. DogPaw

DogPaw New Member

I think once Apple see's what Verizon has done with Droid sales and the number of customers that have switched to Verizon for the Droid and better network Apple is going to be all over Verizon as soon as they can get out of their agreement with AT&T. The big question is will it be too late, just look at what beta tapes did in the 80's against VHS by being exclusive to Sony. Beta was better format but VHS got all the market share by supporting everyone early.
  11. mth04

mth04 Premium Member Premium Member

Thread moved
  12. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

I hold this same belief.

I will also add that while the iPhone is a great piece of equipment iDon't see myself moving over to it simply because of the customization that Android brings (even without root access) and I'm not to keen on the iPhones UI (too pretty and clean)

With that said, news of the iPhone coming to VZW falls on deaf ears.

I'll be sticking with the Android OS for a few years and see where it goes.
  13. JayMonster

JayMonster New Member

I think millions of dollars in profits can help both sides "get over" any issues with the marketing campaign. Never assume egos are strong enough to overcome $$$
  14. SofaKing

SofaKing New Member

15. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

I think the campaign speaks for itself. "We have no intention of carrying the device so lets go on the attack with our weapon."

They could have went a million different ways with the campaign but they chose to attack the iPhone. Wouldn't make sense to then carry it a year later. "Well we were only kidding"

I'm speculating of course but it stands to reason.
  16. JhankG

JhankG New Member

Exactly. "Well the iPhone used to not do a lot of things (iDon't), but now that we carry it, it does everything." Verizon has known that Apple's contract with AT&T was going to end in 2010 for a long time, yet they still attacked the iPhone more than any other company has in the past. I just don't see it happening, but I sure wouldn't mind for it to. Competition breeds better products for the consumers.
  17. Mojo

Mojo New Member

I don't think that VZW advertising campaign will have much effect one way or the other as to "if" VZW will get the iPhone. I think it will be more of how far will AT&T go to keep the iPhone from coming to VZW. And how far is Verizon willing to go to get the iPhone.
    Personally I think that Apple would want to have Verizon as a partner, just not at the cost of damaging relationships with AT&T. If AT&T, Verizon and Apple all come to a happy medium on the issue...Verizon will have an iPhone. And if they do not, I believe that Apple will end up making some sort of spin off of the iPhone for Verizon. But will not be the "iPhone"
  18. atomicwedgie

atomicwedgie New Member

With all the crap AT&T has been in lately, I would have to believe that would ease the pain of Apple having to get over any pride issues when it comes to dealing with VZW.

Of course this doesn't mean this deal will happen and personally I hope it does not. I prefer the Android platform ruling in the VZW world for now.

As had been said though, I have NO plans to go iPhone.
  19. blubull

blubull New Member

If vzw gets the iphone, at&t will be in big trouble.
  20. bacalao

bacalao New Member

You could look at VZW's marketing as a show of force; telling Apple to know their place, and that VZW has THE network that everyone including apple wants. So Apple has less bargaining power. I'm sure they would both hug and make up to make money off of us in a heart beat.