Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
verizon-google-pixel-796x398.jpg
Shout it from the rooftops! Rejoice, all ye nations!

A spokesperson from Verizon has told Ars Technica that Verizon will, in no way, stand between Google and it's Pixel phones when it comes to updates.

Many were concerned when a statement from Google explained that Verizon would be in charge of handling updates for the new G phones. Given Big Red's track record, those concerns were more than justified.

But now, we've got it direct from a representative of Verizon that devices bought through them will be updated alongside all other Pixel devices, purchased elsewhere. What's more, the version of the Pixel devices sold by Verizon is unlocked, so you could just as easily take the phone to AT&T or any other carrier.

Here's the quote from the spokesperson, for more details:
First and foremost, all operating system and security updates to the Pixel devices will happen in partnership with Google. In other words, when Google releases an update, Verizon phones will receive the same update at the same time (much like iOS updates). Verizon will not stand in the way of any major updates and users will get all updates at the same time as Google.

Also, the Verizon version of the Google Pixel is carrier unlocked, so you can use it where ever you like. Finally, we have three apps pre-installed on the phone Go90, My Verizon (which is your account management tool) and Verizon Messages (your messaging app). As you noted, all three can easily be uninstalled by the user.

What do you think? Is this news too good to be true? Or has Google really penned a deal with Verizon matching Apple's update policies?

Is there anyone out there who wants the phone, but has been waiting for Google to have them stocked back up so you don't have to deal with buying through Verizon? Does this news change your plan?

Source: Update: Verizon says its Pixels will get updates at the same time as Google’s

UPDATE: Digital Trends is reporting that Verizon and Google have confirmed that Pixel devices bought through the Google Store will be compatible with their WiFi Calling and HD Voice services, a luxury that Nexus owners don't currently get to enjoy. Verizon says it will push Android updates for Pixel 'at the same time' as Google

Last edited:

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
That is indeed amazing news to hear. Not that I was in the market for a Pixel, but if Verizon makes good on this statement, it certainly bodes well for the future of similar devices.

Now if they'd just not bother with the extra apps in the first place....although at least now, they're uninstallable. Or so they say.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
That is indeed amazing news to hear. Not that I was in the market for a Pixel, but if Verizon makes good on this statement, it certainly bodes well for the future of similar devices.

Now if they'd just not bother with the extra apps in the first place....although at least now, they're uninstallable. Or so they say.
I've also read claims elsewhere that those apps get installed based on your SIM, so if someone was to leave their SIM card out of the device and set it up via WiFi before installing the SIM, those apps may not get installed in the first place.

Either way, I'm with you. Glad that there won't be a list of red icons in the "Disabled" section of the apps menu for all of eternity.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I bet this was part of the exclusivity agreement. If Verizon wants to keep selling these and stay on Google's good side I can see them pushing out timely updates. Just don't expect the same thing for every Verizon phone.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
If only they would step aside from all pushed updates.
It is good news, maybe a sign...

Sent from my New Note 7

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
OP Updated. Confirmation that HD Voice and WiFi calling will be supported on Pixel devices purchased through the Google Store instead of Verizon.

Apparently, this deal goes both ways.

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
If only they would step aside from all pushed updates.
It is good news, maybe a sign...

No doubt.

My company's IT security recently released a statement regarding mobile devices and their usage on the corporate network. In the statement, they recommend not purchasing Android devices from a carrier due to the delayed updates from the carrier as opposed to getting them straight from Google.

realged13

Reaction score
Oh I know it get's released later. I plan on holding onto my Note 7 far past that date if I can.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Just don't park that baby in your pants pocket while you're taking a nap. Might be in for a rude awakening.

View attachment 77035
VERY rude.

Do you own a safe? Maybe lock it in there when you're not using it. Ha!

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Beardface

Reaction score
What's the line from Super Troopers.... "I'll believe that when my sh*t turns purple and smells of rainbow sherbet"

I've heard them say similar things before... Never follow through. They want to much control