Verizon to Get HTC Bliss; Android Phone Designed Specifically for Women

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
CharmBliss1.jpg

Apparently, HTC is designing an Android phone that is specifically designed to target women as its primary marketing focus. That phone is the HTC Bliss, due to come out later this year. Furthermore, they have been using women only focus groups to design it's features to appeal to women in the 20-30 age range. It's not that they intend to release a phone that is pink, or has a lace design on its housing... supposedly they want to make it more "tech-friendly" for women. Please note, the above pic is not the final phone... it's just a mock-up.

For example, they are putting specific apps on it that have a more feminine appeal, like calorie counters and shopping comparison apps. They also will put a rubberized backing on the phone to make it easier to carry. Another unique feature the phone will have is summed up in this quote,
The most interesting part about this to me was the fact they plan to have an accessory that attaches to the device with a cable that they are calling a “charm indicator”. Like those little charm things that people had dangling on their old Nokia’s or RAZR back in the day, only this new design will light up and alert the owner of a missed call, or incoming text message, as well as making it easier to pull the phone from tight jeans or a purse as women are always doing.

Hmmm... If I were a woman, I'm not sure if I would be happy about this or insulted. In a way, it's nice that a company wants to tailor things to appeal to women and give them specific options. On the other hand, this just screams "stereo-typing" to me. I mean, it's basically saying that most women think they are fat, like to shop, are clumsy, and like shiny doo-dads. While that may be true some of the time, it isn't true all of the time, and I'm sure some men fit that description too. Please sound off in the forums with your perspective on this, especially our women members. (I must admit... I like rubberized backing on phones. We all can be clumsy sometimes, male or female.)

Source: AndroidCommunity and thisismynext.com

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have to agree that this is one of those "6 of one half a dozen of another" things. I can definitely see the potential insult here.

lerit50

Reaction score
CharmBliss1.jpg

Apparently, HTC is designing an Android phone that is specifically designed to target women as its primary marketing focus. That phone is the HTC Bliss, due to come out later this year. Furthermore, they have been using women only focus groups to design it's features to appeal to women in the 20-30 age range. It's not that they intend to release a phone that is pink, or has a lace design on its housing... supposedly they want to make it more "tech-friendly" for women. Please note, the above pic is not the final phone... it's just a mock-up.

For example, they are putting specific apps on it that have a more feminine appeal, like calorie counters and shopping comparison apps. They also will put a rubberized backing on the phone to make it easier to carry. Another unique feature the phone will have is summed up in this quote,
The most interesting part about this to me was the fact they plan to have an accessory that attaches to the device with a cable that they are calling a “charm indicator”. Like those little charm things that people had dangling on their old Nokia’s or RAZR back in the day, only this new design will light up and alert the owner of a missed call, or incoming text message, as well as making it easier to pull the phone from tight jeans or a purse as women are always doing.

Hmmm... If I were a woman, I'm not sure if I would be happy about this or insulted. In a way, it's nice that a company wants to tailor things to appeal to women and give them specific options. On the other hand, this just screams "stereo-typing" to me. I mean, it's basically saying that most women think they are fat, like to shop, are clumsy, and like shiny doo-dads. While that may be true some of the time, it isn't true all of the time, and I'm sure some men fit that description too. Please sound off in the forums with your perspective on this, especially our women members. (I must admit... I like rubberized backing on phones. We all can be clumsy sometimes, male or female.)

Source: AndroidCommunity and thisismynext.com

I think it is stereotyping, but I don't think the average woman really cares. I know a lot of girls with droid x's and facinates.

I don't really think it matters. Most girls want iphones anyways. Just my experience. Or blackberrys.

Comin' atcha from my fission'ed d2g

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
You mean a rubberized back so when they drop it 10 times a day its less likely to break. And seriously, they can get all those apps on the Market now. Have to wonder if the phone will be high on the tech side (processor, RAM , etc) or not. Will it ever get an update since every damn woman I know freak out when there is an update ready. Seriously, its called an update and all they have to do is accept it but instead they call me and ask if they should do it. Want to make a woman a 'woman friendly phone', give them a phone with two buttons. Call and Hang Up. No text messaging so they don't run everyone off the road when texting/driving at the same time.

jengas kahn

Reaction score
^haha, wow. Well, if there wasn't enough stereotyping in the article itself...

I just have one serious question. When will the phone designed specifically for men come out?

It seems like they're saying that all other phones are made for males. This is why I hate marketing.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

B-Unit

Reaction score
Stereotypes become stereotypes for a reason. If you don't fit the stereotype, congratulations, but that doesn't change the fact that it fits plenty, if not most.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
My wife has never even installed an app or opened the market on her phone. I do everything for her on her phone. Now, that's not the norm, and she's not the norm, she just doesn't care if she's carrying around that phone or some little dumb phone that can only make calls. She enjoys some of the features, but hates to mess with it.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Stereotypes become stereotypes for a reason. If you don't fit the stereotype, congratulations, but that doesn't change the fact that it fits plenty, if not most.

well said! :)

B-Unit

Reaction score

ntrddragn

Reaction score
I would like a charm indicator...LOL..really i would like one. reminds of the good old days.

jseah

Reaction score
One of the reasons that my daughter likes about HTC phones is that they have the little hooks that allow you to attach the cell phone charms to it (must be because of the Asian origin of the company). If you look at Motorola phones, they don't.

Zandar

Reaction score
For example, they are putting specific apps on it that have a more feminine appeal, like calorie counters and shopping comparison apps.

Women be shoppin'. You can't stop a woman from shoppin'.

lemodular

Reaction score
One of the reasons that my daughter likes about HTC phones is that they have the little hooks that allow you to attach the cell phone charms to it (must be because of the Asian origin of the company). If you look at Motorola phones, they don't.

Look closer at your phone ...

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL

My DroidX has a spot for a charm. If I were to ever get one...which I won't because I hear my phone in my pocket...it would be this one: ThinkGeek :: Doctor Who Cell Phone Alert Charms