Verizon to Get HTC Bliss; Android Phone Designed Specifically for Women

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, May 5, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,746
    [​IMG]

Apparently, HTC is designing an Android phone that is specifically designed to target women as its primary marketing focus. That phone is the HTC Bliss, due to come out later this year. Furthermore, they have been using women only focus groups to design it's features to appeal to women in the 20-30 age range. It's not that they intend to release a phone that is pink, or has a lace design on its housing... supposedly they want to make it more "tech-friendly" for women. Please note, the above pic is not the final phone... it's just a mock-up.

For example, they are putting specific apps on it that have a more feminine appeal, like calorie counters and shopping comparison apps. They also will put a rubberized backing on the phone to make it easier to carry. Another unique feature the phone will have is summed up in this quote,
    Hmmm... If I were a woman, I'm not sure if I would be happy about this or insulted. In a way, it's nice that a company wants to tailor things to appeal to women and give them specific options. On the other hand, this just screams "stereo-typing" to me. I mean, it's basically saying that most women think they are fat, like to shop, are clumsy, and like shiny doo-dads. While that may be true some of the time, it isn't true all of the time, and I'm sure some men fit that description too. Please sound off in the forums with your perspective on this, especially our women members. (I must admit... I like rubberized backing on phones. We all can be clumsy sometimes, male or female.)

Source: AndroidCommunity and thisismynext.com

2. nerdslogic

nerdslogic Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I have to agree that this is one of those "6 of one half a dozen of another" things. I can definitely see the potential insult here.

3. lerit50

lerit50 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think it is stereotyping, but I don't think the average woman really cares. I know a lot of girls with droid x's and facinates.

I don't really think it matters. Most girls want iphones anyways. Just my experience. Or blackberrys.

Comin' atcha from my fission'ed d2g

4. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +328
    You mean a rubberized back so when they drop it 10 times a day its less likely to break. And seriously, they can get all those apps on the Market now. Have to wonder if the phone will be high on the tech side (processor, RAM , etc) or not. Will it ever get an update since every damn woman I know freak out when there is an update ready. Seriously, its called an update and all they have to do is accept it but instead they call me and ask if they should do it. Want to make a woman a 'woman friendly phone', give them a phone with two buttons. Call and Hang Up. No text messaging so they don't run everyone off the road when texting/driving at the same time.

5. jengas kahn

jengas kahn Member

Ratings:
    +1
    ^haha, wow. Well, if there wasn't enough stereotyping in the article itself...

I just have one serious question. When will the phone designed specifically for men come out?

It seems like they're saying that all other phones are made for males. This is why I hate marketing.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

6. B-Unit

B-Unit Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Stereotypes become stereotypes for a reason. If you don't fit the stereotype, congratulations, but that doesn't change the fact that it fits plenty, if not most.

7. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Ratings:
    +292
    My wife has never even installed an app or opened the market on her phone. I do everything for her on her phone. Now, that's not the norm, and she's not the norm, she just doesn't care if she's carrying around that phone or some little dumb phone that can only make calls. She enjoys some of the features, but hates to mess with it.

8. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Ratings:
    +292
    well said! :)

9. B-Unit

B-Unit Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Stereotypes become stereotypes for a reason. If you don't fit the stereotype, congratulations, but that doesn't change the fact that it fits plenty, if not most.

10. ntrddragn

ntrddragn Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I would like a charm indicator...LOL..really i would like one. reminds of the good old days.

11. jseah

jseah Active Member

Ratings:
    +25
    One of the reasons that my daughter likes about HTC phones is that they have the little hooks that allow you to attach the cell phone charms to it (must be because of the Asian origin of the company). If you look at Motorola phones, they don't.

12. Zandar

Zandar Active Member

Ratings:
    +34
    Women be shoppin'. You can't stop a woman from shoppin'.

13. 52brandon

52brandon Active Member

Ratings:
    +19
    will it automatically call people while driving?

14. lemodular

lemodular Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Look closer at your phone ...

15. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +328
    My DroidX has a spot for a charm. If I were to ever get one...which I won't because I hear my phone in my pocket...it would be this one: ThinkGeek :: Doctor Who Cell Phone Alert Charms