Verizon to drop Unlimited Data on 7/29, tiered pricing to follow?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Why would throttling my speed affect you?

I assumed you meant they would be throttling the speed for everyone.

Fully agree if they could do it like with broadband where they have tiers for different speeds that would be a fair solution.

baaldemon

Reaction score
Like I said before, they can base throttling during high usage on consumption I wouldn't I have problem with that. The fact is you aren't subsidizing "heavy users" at all.

To the guy who posted about power, read my posts. Power is different from data becaues it costs to create the power which is why we pay per kilowatt, but have static transmission costs. Now if we had free energy would could do a 1to1 comparrison, however it wouldn't be the exact same because the tranmission lines to the processing plant would be different than those to a processing plant. But if you have two resedential homes on the same street but one uses 10 times more power they would pay the same, because they'd be using the same transmission means.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

GadgetRick

Reaction score
Honestly, this is typical phone company BS. Claim whatever you have to in order to charge us more. Why can't they understand they'll get MORE business with a properly-priced unlimited plan then they will with come convoluted tiered plan? I just don't get it.

Reminds me of back in the 1980s/90s with the phone companies charing so much per minute for service. Once a few companies offered unlimited plans they got TONS of customers, now most companies offer an unlimited plan.

I also find it strange how we pay such a premium for bandwidth here in the US. In many parts of the world bandwidth is much cheaper. Why?

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
The two biggest reasons is lack of competition, and the size of the Continental US.

Even though the cell co's say they compete, they don't. They compete about as much as the oil companies. IE, not at all.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
If unlimited data is not an available option when my contract is up, I'll switch to a carieer that still has the good sense to offer it. At almost $100 per month for 450 min and data on one line, I'm paying PLENTY as it is. I won't pay a penny more.

I will bet that within a year period, you will not have any service then. They are all going to go to it. The rest are just waiting for the bigs ones to do it first.

i bet he'll still be with verizon and isn't going anywhere...it's all talk.

joem1481

Reaction score
for example right now I have 495605.95KB used. So how much more will I be billed?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
is there some way to protest it?

plenty of ways to protest it. is there some way to prevent it? no.

So great IO just got a droid. I love going on the internet or watching my slingbox. I have been a verizon customer for years and now I am going to get banged for even more?

Does anyone have an idea of the pricing plans?

nope and in fact the whole tier thing is even speculation itself...so we don't know anything till Verizon tells us...

joem1481

Reaction score
Yeah I mean if they say after 4GB or something there is a charge then I guess it will not effect me much. I guess they are trying to prevent the tethering and using your computer. But my opinion is I pay for it so let me do what I want with it. Like I pay about the same a month for internet with FIOS and it is a hell of a lot faster and I use more data. So give me a break they just want a reason to charge more.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah I mean if they say after 4GB or something there is a charge then I guess it will not effect me much. I guess they are trying to prevent the tethering and using your computer. But my opinion is I pay for it so let me do what I want with it. Like I pay about the same a month for internet with FIOS and it is a hell of a lot faster and I use more data. So give me a break they just want a reason to charge more.

Probably 99% of the users won't be affected by it. And yeah it's a reason for them to charge more but again, its their right to charge if they want. but yeah, you'll be fine if you continue your usage as it is now...its the people who use like 20GBs a month (whether legitimately or not) that'll be affected...but like i said before the people who get 20GBs of usage a month legitimately are probably less than half of half of one percent of total users and it completely sucks for them, but that's just how it is.