Verizon to drop Unlimited Data on 7/29, tiered pricing to follow?

Discussion in 'Android News' started by wuyanks, Jul 20, 2010.

1. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Seriously? What are you, a university researcher that needs to transfer terabyte data files back and forth?

I have a 15mbps home broadband and few sites seem to come anywhere close to utilizing that. Heck, you can STREAM hi-def movies with a 5mbps connection.

Unless you are talking about multiple users on the same connection, I see no reason why people need more than 7mbps (which is about the range LTE is supposed to be in)...anything else is just overkill.

I think for 1 person, LTE would be a viable broadband replacement. If you have a family to share a connection, then I could see your point.
  2. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Interesting points.

Not sure about variable pricing. From a business perspective, I don't think variable pricing makes sense because people monitor/manage individual "purchases" much more than bulk purchases. I think that's a suboptimal revenue model.

I don't get all the fuss over tiered pricing. We've had that in cell for years - it works just fine for most people. AND, while it's an inconvenience to check usage and change plans, several times for both voice and text I've called up and had them backdate my plan to avoid overages for the month. What they are trying to accomplish with the tiered plans and overages is get users to purchase more than they normally need out of, basically, laziness. As long as they continue to allow me to backdate my plan, I see no real issues.

It will be interesting to see how this all evolves. For me, my main issue is using stuff off-line (airplane, or maybe download to watch later). Obviously things like flash and Netflix can spike data usage, but if they figure out how to let you download this stuff for offline use, you could do it from a computer (which is faster d/l anyway) or at off-peak times. Besides, downloading a whole file is ultimately better for network strain than streaming because it can make more efficient use of spare bandwidth.
  3. MrC1122

MrC1122 Member

pricing plan
  4. dricacho

dricacho New Member

So is this tierd data plan pricing definitely going into effect tomorrow? If so, I'm going to upgrade to Droid X tonight.
  5. dricacho

dricacho New Member

So is this definitely going to happen tomorrow? I'm trying to get upgraded to a Droid X.
  6. xpezdj

xpezdj New Member

No news yet..

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  7. Attackcenter

Attackcenter New Member

Say it is so. :) That is a change in their terms. Now, I can go to Sprint and get a real phone, like the EVO 4G or the Samsung Epic. Is this christmas? :p

AC
  8. phoenix927

phoenix927 New Member

There is not going to be a change to tiered data plans tomorrow. I work for verizon and we will not be changin to tiered data at this time.

The reason AT&T changed was because they couldn't handle the bandwidth caused by a large number of iphone users. We do not have this issue. Verizon spends $5.5 billion a year on the network so that it is always prepared for any situation.

There's nothing to worry about now. And do all the downloading you need to bc unlimited data is here to stay.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  9. cypherx82

cypherx82 New Member

I think people forget that AT&T also has a sh*t network.
  10. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

thanks for the info. The 7/29 rumor had been put to rest awhile ago:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/62938-verizon-cfo-no-rush-tiered-data-plans.html

:)
  11. lowboy

lowboy New Member

Will those that have unlimited now be grandfathered in if/when this happens?
  12. slinky

slinky New Member

Right... Verizon is a company that wouldn't change the data plan if it felt it could make more money, it's all about sharing the goodness of the network. (I do remember something about having to buy VZ Navigator if I wanted to use my Blackberry's built in GPS rather than just using Google maps only a few years ago...)
  13. RETG

RETG Member

As a BB user, I have never use Navigator, but have always had access to my BB's GPS sensors and have used various GPS software programs quite successfully over the years. When was it that Verizon require you to use Navigator on a BB?
  14. rcali001

rcali001 Member

15. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

you work for verizon? in what capacity? i hope not sales, because then to be honest you'd be just as clueless as any of us as to what verizon's plans are (no offense, but it's true). if you work for corporate and actually have some inside knowledge then cool, but somehow i doubt it. i find it hard to believe that they won't switch to tiered plans at some point, because it would only make sense for them to do that, but stranger things have happened.
  16. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo New Member

Can't speak for BB, but my XV6800 was near useless because VZ blocked the GPS from working unless you were using VZNavigator. The only response I got was it was locked for quality control. It was eventually unlocked...About a month before I got a new phone. :|
  17. EmmVeePee

EmmVeePee New Member

I have a $350 early termination fee if they'd like to upgrade their data plan.
  18. RETG

RETG Member

Well, I learned something today. Never knew they blocked GPS service on regular phones.
  19. TheBawse

TheBawse New Member

I have seen this before somewhere...Y2K!!
Search tags for this page

is verizon cutting unlimited data

verizon cutting unlimited data
verizon data prices ever change?

verizon drops unlimited data

verizon restricting unlimited data
why did verizon drop unlimited data
will verizon drop data prices