Verizon to drop Unlimited Data on 7/29, tiered pricing to follow?

6thgear

Reaction score
hopefully this only applies to new vzw customers, and current customers can keep unlimited data just like ATT

R

RETG

And to really pee a few of you off.

Remember, the BIS server for BB's compress data at a 6.1 ratio. So for the same 600 meg download to an Android would only be a 100 meg download to a BB. So, this tiered data plan will not affect BB users as much as Android users.

DoubleTapp89

Reaction score
i averaged about 10 gigs this month. guess no more tether :icon_eek:
It's people like you that get everyone else in trouble, that's exactly what happened with At&T, 98% of their users never went over 2gigs while the 2% like you ate up alot of their capacity, so changes had to be made.

And those 2% still get unlimited data with each new smartphone. It's the 98% and any new customers that are suffering. dancedroid

It doesn't matter the plan is called Unlimited Data! That means it doesn't matter how much GB your using. You could use up to 100GB and it shouldn't matter because were paying for unlimited. Verizon wants to be greedy and want to make money off of it. The only reason I want unlimited is because its peace of mind, not worrying about overcharges.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, just to offer a new spin on all this....

I currently pay $50 a month for home broadband, speeds of @16mb/s down (which is more than sufficient for a single user for pretty much everything).

Now,don't know if it has to do with CPU and graphics processors, but browsing is obviously much faster on my PC.

However, if LTE comes out and I can tether to get speeds of 6-8mb/s, should I complain about dropping my home broadband and paying another $15 to tether? I'd save $30 a month.

R

RETG

It's people like you that get everyone else in trouble, that's exactly what happened with At&T, 98% of their users never went over 2gigs while the 2% like you ate up alot of their capacity, so changes had to be made.

And those 2% still get unlimited data with each new smartphone. It's the 98% and any new customers that are suffering. dancedroid

It doesn't matter the plan is called Unlimited Data! That means it doesn't matter how much GB your using. You could use up to 100GB and it shouldn't matter because were paying for unlimited. Verizon wants to be greedy and want to make money off of it. The only reason I want unlimited is because its peace of mind, not worrying about overcharges.

And they might offer an unlimited plan at the top of the tier. You will just have to pay more for it than you do now. Meanwhile, those who do not required high amounts will pay less. All is fair.

If you are worried about going over your usage....
Go back about a year on your statements from Verizon and do a month by month of the usage you have used. Round up the highest month, and go for a plan that gives you some padding.

If you start to go over, call Verizon and they will allow you to bump up to the next level with no penalties. They have done that for me on the phone usage, so I would imagine they will do it in the future on data usage.

Reaction score
oh please smd. if verizon didnt want me to use 10 gigs.... btw im up to 15 now.... they wouldnt of given unlimited data.

gmony01

Reaction score

So are you saying that if Verizon GIVES you unlimited data for the amount AGREED to its not right because you use it? OKAAAYYY!!

wogfun

Reaction score
If unlimited data is not an available option when my contract is up, I'll switch to a carieer that still has the good sense to offer it. At almost $100 per month for 450 min and data on one line, I'm paying PLENTY as it is. I won't pay a penny more.

Reaction score
also let me put this in here. i got my droid about 3 weeks ago so i was just using it to its full potential. i wanted to do everything with it that it could possibly do. so dont blame this on me or the people who do go over 5 gigs. theyre just getting the fullest of what they payed for. its rude to blame one person.

Reaction score
Well, just to offer a new spin on all this....

I currently pay $50 a month for home broadband, speeds of @16mb/s down (which is more than sufficient for a single user for pretty much everything).

Now,don't know if it has to do with CPU and graphics processors, but browsing is obviously much faster on my PC.

However, if LTE comes out and I can tether to get speeds of 6-8mb/s, should I complain about dropping my home broadband and paying another $15 to tether? I'd save $30 a month.
you'd be limited to the 5 gig cap the goes along with tethering. thats why tethering the droid is such a big deal because you get unlimited access with it and no extra charges. unless you get ofc.

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
If unlimited data is not an available option when my contract is up, I'll switch to a carieer that still has the good sense to offer it. At almost $100 per month for 450 min and data on one line, I'm paying PLENTY as it is. I won't pay a penny more.

The most enlightening post of the entire thread. 70% of my bill is stuff I don't use, but am stuck paying for. Me having to pay more for data isn't helping other customers, no matter if some people are tricked into thinking so. It's continuing to suck as much money from customers as possible.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
oh please smd. if verizon didnt want me to use 10 gigs.... btw im up to 15 now.... they wouldnt of given unlimited data.
The cap is at five gigs a m

month, by saying unlimited they mean five gigs a month, reason is the 90% percent of users never exceed that amount but then there is people like you that abuse the system, we all know that tethering is not alowed " unless you pay for it", now why don't you go tap yourself on the shoulder for a job well done, the free ride is over, it

Reaction score
The cap is at five gigs a m

month, by saying unlimited they mean five gigs a month, reason is the 90% percent of users never exceed that amount but then there is people like you that abuse the system, we all know that tethering is not alowed " unless you pay for it", now why don't you go tap yourself on the shoulder for a job well done, the free ride is over, it

Ya you're an idiot. There is no cap on the smartphones. Only on the broadband. I'm not abusing the system I'm using what I pay for.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk