Verizon to drop Unlimited Data on 7/29, tiered pricing to follow?

Mojo

Reaction score
Ive seen a lot of people going back and forth about wether VZW will make you change your exsisting plan. For the majority that are on this forum, your unlimited data plan will be grandfathered in. Period! This will effect new subscribers.. thats all.

Next, I've read several more post debating that the guys that use less data are subsidising for the so called "bandwidth hogs". This is not true. You are not subsidising anything for us, as we all have the same opportunity to use as much as we so desire. That is why it is an unlimited plan. (so as long as you use it on the phone itself)

Look I am going to call it as I see it! Verizon is greedy... AT&T is greedy. Plain and simple. These companys have created a demand, and see a way that they can make more money. They will make more money buy masking it as cheeper data plans, making it more affordable for more customers to buy these data plans. Then rape you in overages if you become one of those "bandwidth hogs"

It is really a shame in my opinion to not have a unlimited option. Even if it is at a higher cost. The more functionality that these devices have (blockbuster apps, pandora, youtube, etc..) that consume high ammounts of data and the carriers are even promoting using them! The higher the risk is that you will encure overage. Which generates more money for them.

My point is, it is not about bandwith. It never was, is or will be! It is about money and greed. Me, you and anyone else paying more is not going to majicly create more bandwidth. These companys are moving to network that cost 1/3 the ammount to run. And charge more for it. That is pure greed.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ive seen a lot of people going back and forth about wether VZW will make you change your exsisting plan. For the majority that are on this forum, your unlimited data plan will be grandfathered in. Period! This will effect new subscribers.. thats all.

Next, I've read several more post debating that the guys that use less data are subsidising for the so called "bandwidth hogs". This is not true. You are not subsidising anything for us, as we all have the same opportunity to use as much as we so desire. That is why it is an unlimited plan. (so as long as you use it on the phone itself)

Look I am going to call it as I see it! Verizon is greedy... AT&T is greedy. Plain and simple. These companys have created a demand, and see a way that they can make more money. They will make more money buy masking it as cheeper data plans, making it more affordable for more customers to buy these data plans. Then rape you in overages if you become one of those "bandwidth hogs"

It is really a shame in my opinion to not have a unlimited option. Even if it is at a higher cost. The more functionality that these devices have (blockbuster apps, pandora, youtube, etc..) that consume high ammounts of data and the carriers are even promoting using them! The higher the risk is that you will encure overage. Which generates more money for them.

My point is, it is not about bandwith. It never was, is or will be! It is about money and greed. Me, you and anyone else paying more is not going to majicly create more bandwidth. These companys are moving to network that cost 1/3 the ammount to run. And charge more for it. That is pure greed.

Especially since they are getting grants from the government to help build ............ill hold at that to keep this from getting off topic and getting all political with it.
I see both sides. Companies make money to spend money....period. My companies charge for baggage fees and and so on, and that is helping keep me employed, where to the avg traveler they feel they are being raped.
I understand that vzw is gonna try to get paid ....heck they charge you for extra for a txt msg plan when it cost them nearly nothing for you to use.
If they keep the unlimited plan (I can even see charging an extra 5 bucks a mnth for it) and tier off where those who use less pay less, that would be fair for every one.

Cyberpolice

Reaction score
I am putting this subject to bed. I called Verizon today and talked to CSR and they were not aware of this situation. "As always, they do not know anything". I am not going to worry about this subject anymore because we'll have to deal with this situation when it comes.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am putting this subject to bed. I called Verizon today and talked to CSR and they were not aware of this situation. "As always, they do not know anything". I am not going to worry about this subject anymore because we'll have to deal with this situation when it comes.

People been tryna put this subject to bed ever since the announcement that att was rumored to go that route.

Mojo

Reaction score

Especially since they are getting grants from the government to help build ............ill hold at that to keep this from getting off topic and getting all political with it.
I see both sides. Companies make money to spend money....period. My companies charge for baggage fees and and so on, and that is helping keep me employed, where to the avg traveler they feel they are being raped.
I understand that vzw is gonna try to get paid ....heck they charge you for extra for a txt msg plan when it cost them nearly nothing for you to use.
If they keep the unlimited plan (I can even see charging an extra 5 bucks a mnth for it) and tier off where those who use less pay less, that would be fair for every one.

I totally agree with you PC. I am not mad at VZW for doing this because it is their company not mine. And they do provide great service. I just think their should be an option for the high bandwith users too. Not to take it away and have ridiculous overage rates.

I get fustraited because the total cost of wireless keeps pushing new boundries. I understand a company that wants to stay profitable. I hate companys that get greedy.

Right now my bill is around $200.00 per month with 4 lines of service. My house payment is $430.00 a month. I find it crazy that my cell phone bill is almost half of my house payment. Sometimes I have to question if it is all really worth it.

neyel8r

Reaction score

of course they're gonna say they don't know anything; that's they're favorite answer to everything.

neyel8r

Reaction score

of course they're gonna say they don't know anything; that's their favorite answer to everything.

JCo352

Reaction score

I totally agree with you PC. I am not mad at VZW for doing this because it is their company not mine. And they do provide great service. I just think their should be an option for the high bandwith users too. Not to take it away and have ridiculous overage rates.

I get fustraited because the total cost of wireless keeps pushing new boundries. I understand a company that wants to stay profitable. I hate companys that get greedy.

Right now my bill is around $200.00 per month with 4 lines of service. My house payment is $430.00 a month. I find it crazy that my cell phone bill is almost half of my house payment. Sometimes I have to question if it is all really worth it.

Yeah, my bill is about $250 a month with 4 lines, and I have the only smartphone. $430 dollars a month for a house payment is really good, count yourself lucky.

stryguy

Reaction score
What a scam in my opinion. You better believe they will provide usage cap free downloads and viewing of their premium content or content from providers that are in bed with them.

Want to download a bunch of MP3s from Amazon MP3? No problem.. Stream some show from Verizon's $15 a month service, OK! What, you're going to listen to Pandora? OMG better count that byte by byte.

I haven't cancelled my ATT + Iphone account just yet even though the contract was up because the Battery Life on my Droid X had me on the fence. Now this unknown is on my mind. Will they continuously allow upgrades and grandfather us in or the next time I upgrade my phone am I screwed? If I'm screwed I'd rather go back to ATT and go with their unlimited grandfather clause.

DANGGGGIT!! Sure I go get a phone that will eventually do Flash content and next thing you know I'll be afraid to actually use the damn thing.

What a pile of crap.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is a horrible decision! These are smartphones and not just an ordinary cellphone. That means I will be restricted on the amount of work I can do on my phone and have to worry about going over? That totally defeats the purpose of having a smartphone! Otherwise I will just switch back to a regular plan and not worry about it! It so bad now that if your phone can handle data, your have to get the data package even if You don't want to use it! I am glad I will be leaving this country in the next couple months and not have to deal with all this crap!!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
The reason you have to get the data package with these new smart phones is because these phones and the apps that are installed " weather, facebook and the sort" are always accessing data even when you think they are not, that's the reason they make you get the data plan, to actually save your ass at the end of the billing cycle.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
i averaged about 10 gigs this month. guess no more tether :icon_eek:
It's people like you that get everyone else in trouble, that's exactly what happened with At&T, 98% of their users never went over 2gigs while the 2% like you ate up alot of their capacity, so changes had to be made.

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
i averaged about 10 gigs this month. guess no more tether :icon_eek:
It's people like you that get everyone else in trouble, that's exactly what happened with At&T, 98% of their users never went over 2gigs while the 2% like you ate up alot of their capacity, so changes had to be made.

And those 2% still get unlimited data with each new smartphone. It's the 98% and any new customers that are suffering. dancedroid