Verizon Tiered Data "Rumored" To begin Oct 28t.

The Droid King

Reaction score
Key word is "rumor." Do you think it will happen before, on, or after Oct 28th?

GDP

Reaction score
Most sources are saying it will start this month

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
"Most sources" have been crying wolf and missing the mark badly here for close to a year now.

Honestly, I think Oct sounds fairly reasonable - jives with a couple of statements from VZW about "late summer" or "late this year".

Question is, where in the world do they come up with Oct 28th? I can't imagine VZW would have that specific of a date in mind this far out, which kind of makes this rumor sound like it was probably something overheard (misheard) by a janitor. The only remotely plausible reason I could think of is that could be around the time of the IPhone5 and maybe VZW figures a ton of AT&T converts are waiting for the IP5 and so it would make sense to go to tiers at that point.

Anyway, I voted before Oct 28th.....My guess has is sometime in the Sep/Oct timeframe. AT&T is supposedly preparing to roll out shared data plans (i.e. one data plan for all your devices). If and when that happens, I don't expect VZW to wait too long to react and they would certainly have to go to tiers to offer something like that. On the plus side, if VZW wasn't going with buckets of data that will have to give them pause and re-think their strategy (which would mean continuing to offer the unlimited plans while they draw up bucket/sharing tiers). Even if they were going to include tethering in their plan, shared data is a superior option.

Last edited:
OP
T

The Droid King

Reaction score
Do you think there will be an announcement ahead of time for the tiered plan or will it just happen?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Do you think there will be an announcement ahead of time for the tiered plan or will it just happen?

Absolutely no reason for them to do it under the cover of darkness. If they were that worried about grandfathering people, they would have made the switch some time ago.

A lot of people are holding out for a better phone but might step-up if they go to tiered plans. Those people would be upset by a cloak-and-dagger move and I don't expect VZW to do that.

Of course, now we may be talking buckets of data or shared plans, so they may get you sooner or later, anyway, if you get a tablet at some point. And/or they'll get you with tether, which possibly they'll include on the new tiered plans. I have a feeling a lot of people worked themselves up into a frenzy to lock in unlimited and they will end-up deciding the new plans make more sense for them.

OP
T

The Droid King

Reaction score
Yea cuz it seems people are freaking out and getting 4g phones right now before the tiered plan kicks in. I am one who is debating whether to get a 4g phone now before that happens. I trully want a bionic. And it would be great if there was an announcement to know ahead of time to hop on to 4g or wait it out.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yea cuz it seems people are freaking out and getting 4g phones right now before the tiered plan kicks in. I am one who is debating whether to get a 4g phone now before that happens. I trully want a bionic. And it would be great if there was an announcement to know ahead of time to hop on to 4g or wait it out.

My upgrade is Oct 2. I don't want to "rent" an LTE phone for 3 months. Hoping the Bioinc is out and I can use my upgrade and get some unlimited goodness (although I don't really need it).

And at some point I'll probably pull the trigger on something like the Asus transformer, so I'd end-up switching data plans, anyway.

EvilJ

Reaction score
I would get a 4g device now, but like so many dedicated Motorola DROID alumni, I want the bionic...I just don't know which will come first, the tiers or the Bio...

Big Red will make an announcement and it will be long before October.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I would get a 4g device now, but like so many dedicated Motorola DROID alumni, I want the bionic...I just don't know which will come first, the tiers or the Bio...

Can you imagine how many people will rush to scoop-up the Bionic if it comes out like a week before they go to tiers?

OP
T

The Droid King

Reaction score
So is tiered something for new comers only? I currently have D1 and I am eligible for a discount and I believe my 2 yr contract is over in November. So say the Tier goes into play june 30th, and the Bionic comes out in Sept., would I still be able to upgrade to the bionic and get 4g unlimited? Because upgrading would mean another 2yr contract renewal.

OP
T

The Droid King

Reaction score

Can you imagine how many people will rush to scoop-up the Bionic if it comes out like a week before they go to tiers?

Yea I bet, id be one of them lol.

OGD1

Reaction score
My guess would be that Verizon will be releasing and/or announcing something around the first week of July, since this is when all of the initial Droid adapters will be eligible for their final new every 2 discount. Maybe they announce tiered data with a little lead time to allow that wave of people who are worried about tiered data to burn through their upgrades and re-up on an unlimited data plan.

I have no evidence to back this up, just think it may be a convenient date for vzw to come out w something.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
T

The Droid King

Reaction score
So you dont think there will be a sneak up where you go to verizon say next week and next thing you know the tiered plans are already out?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
So you dont think there will be a sneak up where you go to verizon say next week and next thing you know the tiered plans are already out?

No. Why would they do that? They're going to have several million "grandfathered" as it is, do you really think another 100k if they give us a week's notice is really going to matter?

OGD1

Reaction score

I doubt they'd put it in under the cover of night. Besides, I'd think they'd have to prep their sales people on it at least a week in advance so at the very least we should get a leak that will give those who want to lock in unlimited for at least the next 2 years enough time to sprint to the store and pick up a phone.

I'd think their tiered data would coincide with the release of the Bionic. I'd guess they'll release the Bionic and give a short buffer before unlimited goes away. That way they create a furious run on the Bionic, lock people in for another two years, then go all tiered from there on out. They'll probably throttle the heck out of whatever their threshold is for a "heavy user", though.