Verizon Thunderbolt shutting off for no reason

tiwags

Reaction score
I bought my phone about 2 weeks ago and besides having a very poor battery life I am very pleased with the phone.

This morning I did notice that my phone shut off for no reason. I tried several times to turn the screen on with the button on top and nothing happened, so I held it in and sure enough it was off.

Within 10 mins it did the same thing? It went off but booted back up and stayed on the cloud screen for a while until it went to the home screen??

Is this something serious? Should I return it and get a new phone since it’s been under the 30 days in the store? Is anyone else having the same problem?

Any help/advice/opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

wkopera

Reaction score
I've had the same thing happen at least four times now.

Pumaro

Reaction score
My first thunderbolt did that continuously while running on battery. You should exchange it for a new phone. The continuous rebooting kills the battery.

wkopera

Reaction score
Mine wasn't on battery most of the times it happened, though that was the case this morning. Usually, though, it happens while plugged in. I have fastboot enabled, does anyone think that might causing the problem somehow?

Last edited:

Pumaro

Reaction score
Mine wasn't on battery most of the times it happened, though that was the case this morning. Usually, though, it happens while plugged in. I have fastboot enabled, does anyone think that might causing the problem somehow?

Well you could turn off the fast boot to check. It's possible an app is causing this to occur. You should make sure everything is backed up and and try a full reset back to stock settings. If it still restarts randomly you will need to show the rebooting to the Verizon rep at the store, and see what they say.

BIslander

Reaction score
My phone rebooted spontaneously several times a day from the time I got it on March 15. Tech Support had me reset the phone, which made it worse. So, I swapped it out today and so far, so good. They'll give you a new phone only in the first 14 days, a reconditioned one after that, although there may not be many reconditioned models yet.

OP
T

tiwags

Reaction score
I called tech support and they are letting me swapp it out for a brand new one.. that is great news!! The phone was expensive to begin with and I do not think it's fair to be giving a reconditioned model if you are not past the first 30 days!! I hope all goes well with the new phone!