Verizon throttled fire department’s “unlimited” data during Calif. wildfire

Discussion in 'Tech News' started by xeene, Aug 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xeene

xeene Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,136
  2. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +990
    Nothing to do with net neutrality and everything to do with a fire department that didn't understand the terms of the plan it purchased.

3. xeene

xeene Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,136
    You didn't read the article did you? Making assumptions as always...

4. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +990
    Yes. I did read the article. I think maybe it was you that didn't read very carefully. Or perhaps you didn't see the below update to the article? I didn't make an assumption - it's obviously not a net neutrality issue.

"Regardless of the plan emergency responders choose, we have a practice to remove data speed restrictions when contacted in emergency situations," Verizon's statement said. "We have done that many times, including for emergency personnel responding to these tragic fires. In this situation, we should have lifted the speed restriction when our customer reached out to us. This was a customer support mistake. We are reviewing the situation and will fix any issues going forward."

Verizon also noted that the fire department purchased a data service plan that is slowed down after a data usage threshold is reached. But Verizon said it "made a mistake" in communicating with the department about the terms of the plan.

• Like Like x 1
  5. xeene

xeene Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,136
    "Even if Verizon's throttling didn't technically violate the no-throttling rule, Santa Clara could have complained to the FCC under the now-removed net neutrality system, which allowed Internet users to file complaints about any unjust or unreasonable prices and practices. FCC Chairman Ajit Pai's decision to deregulate the broadband industry eliminated that complaint option and also limited consumers' rights to sue Internet providers over unjust or unreasonable behavior."

If government entity can't even file a complaint against being rectally molested by Verizon how are we regular consumers should feel when both vzw and fcc were/are headed by the same imbecile?

6. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +990
    Incompetent government entity should have gotten an actual unlimited plan. It's really not that complicated.

7. xeene

xeene Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,136
    Nope, scumbags at vzw nickel and dimining emergency rescue personnel during life and death situation to make extra $.

Straight from vzw: "Regardless of the plan emergency responders choose, we have a practice to remove data speed restrictions when contacted in emergency situations," Verizon's statement said. "We have done that many times, including for emergency personnel responding to these tragic fires. In this situation, we should have lifted the speed restriction when our customer reached out to us. This was a customer support mistake. We are reviewing the situation and will fix any issues going forward."

Pretty much same service you would expect from vzw and now fcc since same people run both entities.

8. xeene

xeene Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,136
    And as far as I'm concerned vzw was committing crime against public justice and needs to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
    Law section

9. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +990
    LMFAO....ok, so being stupid and ignorant means someone else commited a crime. Good lord I hope you don't vote.

You made a stupid and ignorant post. Cut your losses and just stop replying.

10. xeene

xeene Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,136
    Stupid and ignorant how? When they clearly asked vzw to remove throttling and vzw told them to pay more suckers!
    I hope they sue the living daylights out of vzw take them to cleaners.
    And looks like I'm not the only one who thinks this was plain obsurd!
    Verizon throttled fire department’s “unlimited” data during Calif. wildfire : technology
    Verizon throttled 'unlimited' data of Calif. fire department during wildfire : news
    And when it comes to voting, did you by chance vote for trump because you sound a lot like him.

#10 xeene, Aug 23, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  11. xeene

xeene Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,136
  12. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +6,789
    Ok I started to post an article about this (Verizon, instead of apologizing, we have a better idea --stop throttling) but I see y'all already started.

I agree with both of your points. Now net neutrality is not the case of this as Verizon have been throttling data for years. Even after getting caught and told to stop. In this situation you see where it caused issues. But there are other customers that deal with the same issue.

My answer is to vote with your wallets. If the emergency services and other customers moved to another company then Verizon would have to rethink their throttling. But as long as people just wait on the government and just complain (while still giving Verizon their money) then we'll never see change.

I know how hard it is to switch. People hear all the horror stories about people switching and having issues. But there is life outside of Verizon. Once you get through the fears of the first month or so you begin to ask why you didn't do this sooner.

Verizon as a business can throttle until their heart is content. And I as a customer I can take my unlocked phone elsewhere and start giving another company my money. No, Verizon may not miss my money, but I'm sure they will start missing it if more people start exiting.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.