Verizon Tech support told me Their system showed my phone was "Rooted"

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by msuperbauer, Aug 10, 2012.

1. msuperbauer

msuperbauer Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was having connectivity issues with my HTC Thunderbolt and the tech support guy could tell my phone was rooted and therefor could not be covered under warranty. That I understand. Heres my question. If I return it to normal (which the tech told me to do) can I get it replaced under warranty? The Tech stated, HTC would return the phone to VZW for a warranty claim if rooted and VZW would be stuck with it. So he told me unroot it. Do they note this stuff in the system, when I call back are they going to be like "you rooted, too bad" anyone have similiar experiences, please share! Thanks in advance

2. gmorgan056

gmorgan056 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I've never heard of that. I've called several times in the past and they never knew my phone was rooted. If you returned it back to stock, they should be able to send you a replacement. I've had phones replaced returning it back to stock.

3. msuperbauer

msuperbauer Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Me too, I guess I got to the "highest level" of tech support and the saw it.. They also said, now that wifi tethering is free, rooting the phone is basically useless..

4. Natey2

Natey2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +5
    There are ways to detect a rooted phone. I hear "Good for Enterprise" has admin settings/options on the server side that can detect jailbroken (iPhone) or rooted (Android) devices, and has the ability to decline connections from such devices.
    Some corporate sysadmins consider such devices to be security-compromised devices, and disallow them on corporate networks.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk

5. jjh35

jjh35 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    We used MobileIron at my company, it detects basically everything on the phone including whether the device is rooted. I was the mobileiron administrator. I don't know or not if verizon has some for software like this installed in their OS, but I wouldn't be too shocked.

Search tags for this page
can a phone tech detect rooting
can i send my rooted phone to verizon
mobileiron rooted phone
returning a rooted phone to verizon

returning rooted phone to verizon

send back a rooted phone
taking a rooted phone into verizon

taking a rooted phone to verizon

using a rooted phone on verizon
verizon tech told me that i am rooted