VERIZON TECH SPILLED BEANS

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
But Moto has the best radios? Not...

TapaTurbo
I guess it depends on the device. Nexus 6 radios have by far been the best out of all my LTE devices minus my HTC Rezound.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Still as even you pointed out, the phone hasn't dropped a call, the calls are clearer than with past technology (even with higher signal levels before), and the quality hasn't degraded while in a call. So sometimes, less IS more.

True. But I'm not satisfied with that. Well, I COULD be but when I get less than 0.1Mbps upload my data connection is almost useless.

That is perhaps a VZW issue. But it's not one my Rezound suffered.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
True. But I'm not satisfied with that. Well, I COULD be but when I get less than 0.1Mbps upload my data connection is almost useless.

I understand your situation and for you it makes sense.

And just to clarify, I didn't mean that in a condescending fashion. If I were getting the download speeds you mention I would feel exactly the same!

Last edited:

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force

Yikes! .1?! Using Speedtest or what? I'm also on Verizon AND in a rural area and have way less issues than I did with my GS3 and Note 3 living in a, admittedly poorer, urban area. There have been a few instances where someone said they called me and I never got their call, but it's entirely possible that was a problem on their end too. Though coming from a Bionic and GS3 which would have full bars but regularly drop calls/data in populated urban areas, I think it's great that the Turbo, with less bars (and again in a rural area) hasn't given me any troubles as of yet! *knocks on wood*

R

RETG

There are good reasons why this phone doesn't "appear" to receive signals as strong as earlier models. It has to do with the antenna(s), or in the case of the Turbo the lack of. Apparently in order to make room for the Voice Over LTE (VOLTE) antenna, they had to do away with another antenna and also that basically defuncted a dual-radio feature in these phones which earlier phones had. This was mandated by Verizon to prepare for the nationwide rollout of VOLTE. As such it also eliminated Simultaneus Voice & Data Out (SVDO), until which time VOLTE and the feature was activated with an update in the phone's Firmware, and a selection on the website.
Ok, so you are saying that unless you are on VoLTE you cannot talk and surf the internet at the same time, even on 4G. I didn't know that, good to know, and just ruled the Turbo out for any future order. And my understanding is VoLTE will not be in every market, just high population areas. And for it to work, both phones must be on VoLTE to work...right?

Why did Verizon release a flagship phone that is not as up to date in voice / internet communications as a two-year old model like the Maxx?

How about surfing via WIFI when on a call? I guess that would be ok...I believe.

I guess my question is how come you can surf and talk on a Droid Maxx, so long as you are on 4G, and per Verizon the Maxx is VoLTE capable?

Very strange, but in a way did me a favor. The No turbo for me. Guess I'll wait and hope that a new phone will offer surf and talk outside of VoLTE areas.

(Strange, my AT&T LG G3 can surf and talk on 4G, and is also VoLTE capable for AT&T's network.)

iiWoodstocK

Reaction score
Ok, so you are saying that unless you are on VoLTE you cannot talk and surf the internet at the same time, even on 4G. I didn't know that, good to know, and just ruled the Turbo out for any future order. And my understanding is VoLTE will not be in every market, just high population areas. And for it to work, both phones must be on VoLTE to work...right?

Why did Verizon release a flagship phone that is not as up to date in voice / internet communications as a two-year old model like the Maxx?

How about surfing via WIFI when on a call? I guess that would be ok...I believe.

I guess my question is how come you can surf and talk on a Droid Maxx, so long as you are on 4G, and per Verizon the Maxx is VoLTE capable?

Very strange, but in a way did me a favor. The No turbo for me. Guess I'll wait and hope that a new phone will offer surf and talk outside of VoLTE areas.

(Strange, my AT&T LG G3 can surf and talk on 4G, and is also VoLTE capable for AT&T's network.)

VoLTE is in any market that has 4G LTE coverage AFAIK. For simultaneous voice and data it does require VoLTE to be enabled. All VoLTE does is force phone calls to be on LTE. For the most part, I believe Verizon is trying to have all of their phones without two radios, and only a single radio, which would mean that VoLTE is the only way to have a current phone on Verizon and have simultaneous voice and data. So based on what you've mentioned, the Turbo technically is still an option.

Unlike older phones that have a radio for phone calls and another radio for data, the Turbo (and probably most new Verizon phones) has one radio for both. As a result simultaneous voice and data is not possible unless VoLTE is enabled, which forces the radio to use LTE for phone calls, which also means you can use data while on call. With VoLTE turned off, phone calls are done on 1X (I know iPhones use 3G, I think the Turbo is 1X) which means the one radio is tied up and cannot do simultaneous voice and data.

Also, both phones in a phone call don't need to have VoLTE enabled to make a call, the only benefits of both phones having VoLTE enabled are video calling and HD voice.

WiFi surfing is possible while on a phone call.

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yikes! .1?! Using Speedtest or what? I'm also on Verizon AND in a rural area and have way less issues than I did with my GS3 and Note 3 living in a, admittedly poorer, urban area.

Yeah, inside my apartment that's what I get. Absurdly poor. I think the Turbo kind of sucks in that regard, but the calls are so good that I manage with wifi at home. Like I said, probably mostly a VZW issue, but clearly the Turbo doesn't help.

Hey, it;s been a 1.5 years with the Turbo, so I'll probably be looking to upgrade in another year. Either way, I'm still a fan of Moto.

R

RETG

VoLTE is in any market that has 4G LTE coverage AFAIK. For simultaneous voice and data it does require VoLTE to be enabled. All VoLTE does is force phone calls to be on LTE. For the most part, I believe Verizon is trying to have all of their phones without two radios, and only a single radio, which would mean that VoLTE is the only way to have a current phone on Verizon and have simultaneous voice and data. So based on what you've mentioned, the Turbo technically is still an option.

Unlike older phones that have a radio for phone calls and another radio for data, the Turbo (and probably most new Verizon phones) has one radio for both. As a result simultaneous voice and data is not possible unless VoLTE is enabled, which forces the radio to use LTE for phone calls, which also means you can use data while on call. With VoLTE turned off, phone calls are done on 1X (I know iPhones use 3G, I think the Turbo is 1X) which means the one radio is tied up and cannot do simultaneous voice and data.

Also, both phones in a phone call don't need to have VoLTE enabled to make a call, the only benefits of both phones having VoLTE enabled are video calling and HD voice.

WiFi surfing is possible while on a phone call.
My limited understanding is that Volte will be available, eventually, in all LTE networks, but I thought it was not just a big switch that needed to be turned on, but hundreds of switches after updates to programming in the towers.

Another problem is in the western states (other than the three on the coast), there are still a lot of 3G networks operating, and you cannot start a conversation on a 4G Volte system and travel to a 3G, the call will drop. (From Verizon FAQs: If your call starts on the 3G network and you move to a 4G LTE coverage area, your call will continue as a 3G/CDMA call. However, if your call starts on the 4G LTE network and you move to a non-4G coverage area, your call will drop.)

In addition, you must be talking to someone with Verizon 4G Volte to obtain the Volte service. (From Verizon FAQs:
You can make an HD Voice call the same way you make a regular voice call (e.g., from yourContacts app, Phone app or Recent Calls), provided that both you and the person you're calling

• Are using an HD Voice-capable phone
  • Have the HD Voice feature enabled
  • Are connected to the Verizon 4G LTE network)
Sounds ok so long as a person lives and only travels in an area that has 4G Verizon service and the persons they talk to also have Verizon service. Does not seem to meet my needs. I guess if I had to go back to Verizon at this time, I would find the Maxx the phone I would purchase, and I believe it came out almost two years ago.

I'll have to see what the new phones offer when they come out later in the year. And AT&T does appear to be getting better.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Hey, it;s been a 1.5 years with the Turbo, so I'll probably be looking to upgrade in another year. Either way, I'm still a fan of Moto.

Pretty sure the Turbo was released around Halloween. You mean .5 years? ;)

TapaTurbo

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yeah.. The turbo was released right before Halloween.. Might see lollipop by next Halloween lol.. It doesn't matter anyhow. If any of the new droids are a serious next step.. I'll probably sell my turbo and bounce up anyway .... Then it will probably get the update the next day lol

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah.. The turbo was released right before Halloween.. Might see lollipop by next Halloween lol.. It doesn't matter anyhow. If any of the new droids are a serious next step.. I'll probably sell my turbo and bounce up anyway .... Then it will probably get the update the next day lol

Ehhh, I keep saying this if and only if a beastly phone with a screen <5" comes out. But the more I think about it, I'm going to put my money toward a smartwatch (for fitness) and a tablet...won't be using the phone very much.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I have the g watch. I'm not impressed by it .. Mine has issues with not wanting to charge on its "dock" .. I've had it replaced once.. I've cleaned the contacts.. So.. Idk..

This last update has made it better though..

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I have the g watch. I'm not impressed by it .. Mine has issues with not wanting to charge on its "dock" .. I've had it replaced once.. I've cleaned the contacts.. So.. Idk..

I like the g watch to play with, but would like some of the functionality the Gear S gets. I think that would probably make it way more useful as a device.

I'm looking forward to 2nd gen AW products to see what they can really do.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

I'm only interested in a smartwatch for fitness. I'll see when the next batch comes out if there's one with the features to be worth the money.

Since I'll be leaving the phone at home, I need one with wifi, gps and some decent storage to stream tunes over bluetooth....maybe a HR monitor, too.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to 2nd gen AW products to see what they can really do.

+1...the current crop could use a bit more horsepower/features, but mainly I think it's a matter of apps being developed for smartwatches. I don't need a lot for my purposes, but since I frequently won't have an internet connection I want more storage for apps, music and maybe even for offline maps.