VERIZON TECH SPILLED BEANS

JDH

Reaction score
I was on with the 2nd level tech today re poor signal strength. After the issue was finished we were chatting re turbo/lollipop. He said 5.1 ota pushing 6/1/15 and will also include WiFi Calling feature.
I know, we've heard all this before but he was very positive.
Don't come looking for me if it doesn't happen. Actually this was first time I have heard anything re WiFi calling.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Awesome, WIFI calling is a great enhancement.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
WiFi calling doesn't handoff so well on the Tmobile Notes so we have it disabled.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
This news has been floating for a few months.. As a turbo owner.. I hope the date is right.. But there will have to be a "soak test" within a week for this to happen... But I've seen stranger things... So let's cross our fingers..

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
is wifi-calling different than VoLTE? and does it use minutes or data?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
WiFi calling would be a slightly different feature.. But the only "baked in" feature I've read about is 5.1 having volte as a native app... So to speak.. But who's to say.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Considering the source, I'd be skeptical. Maybe it could happen, but I wouldn't get hopes up.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
It seems like if VZW could do this, they would. Most plans are now unlimited calling, and offering wifi would do two things:
1) better reception for people in areas of bad signal but near wifi
2) if the feature could also be used over 4G, then that means people use more data = $$$

I have 450 minutes, and I've been burned a few times from endless hours on conference calls. So I'm looking for reliable VoIP service when I'm running over my minutes.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
is wifi-calling different than VoLTE? and does it use minutes or data?
WiFi calling is different than VOLTE for one main reason, it doesn't use your cellular network to carry the phone call communication, either through cellular audio or through cellular data. Instead, it carries it through data off of your WiFi network which "should" not impact the number of minutes on your cellular plan if you happen to use a plan that charges you for the minutes (like my "Nationwide Calling Plan"). It definitely doesn't use any of the data on your data plan if you happen to be charged by the number of gigabytes per month (as most plans of present day are designed), since all data will be running through the WiFi provider's network instead.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
It seems like if VZW could do this, they would. Most plans are now unlimited calling, and offering wifi would do two things:
1) better reception for people in areas of bad signal but near wifi
2) if the feature could also be used over 4G, then that means people use more data = $$$

I have 450 minutes, and I've been burned a few times from endless hours on conference calls. So I'm looking for reliable VoIP service when I'm running over my minutes.

Well in fact voice over IP or in the cellular industry known as voice over LTE (VOLTE), is already available, but like you mentioned voice over LTE may use data (though I think not), whereas voice over WIFI or WIFI calling uses neither data nor minutes off of your cellular plan as mentioned just above.

So if you're near WIFI, voice over WiFi or WiFi calling should prevent you from utilizing the minutes on your voice plan as well as the data on your data plan (or at least that's how I hope it operates, though this may in fact operate identically to the VOLTE where it still counts toward your minutes allowance), On the other hand, if you are using voice over LTE, you may be using data off of your data plan (again, my guy says no), but I am nearly 100% sure it does use minutes off of your minutes plan (as in the case of a plan like mine).

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
On the other hand, if you are using voice over LTE, you may be using data off of your data plan (again, my guy says no), but I am nearly 100% sure it does use minutes off of your minutes plan (as in the case of a plan like mine).

Yeah, VoLTE uses minutes, even though its over data. I guess I was thinking more a true VoIP over 4G, like GrooveIP, since VoLTE is only for VZW-to-VZW enabled phones.

OP
JDH

JDH

Reaction score
To answer the question, did my weak signal get fixed, no. I want 4glte boost but the signal extender is 3g only.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
To answer the question, did my weak signal get fixed, no. I want 4glte boost but the signal extender is 3g only.

I have the same issue....don't understand why they don't have a 4G booster/extender.