Verizon Support Confirms 3G Customers Upgrading to 4G After July 7 Can Keep Unlimited

volando

Reaction score
Well this turns out to be a lie.
I just got done talking to two different verizon stores and not one of the employees heard of this plan for us. So as of now, until anything is given to me in written form I am still sticking with my plan.

No.

Individual Verizon reps may not know everything, in fact I usually expect them not to know anything. The plan is as true as it could be. This is based on leaked training materials, numerous conversations with reps and even official company twitter posts. Of course eventually Verizon will get you off the unlimited plans, whether it happens at 4G->5G transition or for some other random system change is not known and probably not knowable as the exec-level company decision has not probably been made.

captain howdy

Reaction score
I work with a person that joined verizon back when they offered $9.99 a month phone plans and they still honor it and that was fricken long time ago. So, we can only hope they will honor the data package for us.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

mdoyle143

Reaction score
3G/4G Unlimited not applicable to MiFi, only to phones

According to Verizon, the unlimited data will only apply to smartphones, not wireless devices. I have a MiFi on an unlimited data plan up for renewal but am being told by VZ that if I change the device, I have to change the plan and go to a tiered data plan. Good thing I have a rooted Droid even though I can't seem to get the speed I would like when tethering. Oh, well, time to get back to tinkering.

Beardface

Reaction score
Well this turns out to be a lie.
I just got done talking to two different verizon stores and not one of the employees heard of this plan for us. So as of now, until anything is given to me in written form I am still sticking with my plan.
Then those employees didn't know what the heck they were talking about... This appears to be the standard Verizon Wireless official response to this inquiry via their Twitter account.

Just look at how many times its been posted today alone.

Twitter

If it wasn't true, their Quality Control would not have let this be Tweeted by their OFFICIAL account 11 times over the past 4 hours...

Looks to me like we can consider this to be 100% truth. All I want to know is if this will be grandfathered for life, or just to your next renewal.

pdc419

Reaction score
I talked to one today and he said as long as you have a smart phone data plan you will keep the same plan, even after upgrading

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

maxim730

Reaction score
Code:
So if I am out-of-contract on my unlimited, I can still get an unlimited contract after July 7?
n

I am in the exact same boat. I've been out of contract for 3 years (and a customer since 2005). I guess I am technically allowed to be grandfathered in but Idont know anymore after reading the post stating that month-to-month customers may be treated differently.

I think I'll just bite the bullet and renew/upgrade my contract/device from unlimited 3g to unlimited 4g (Charge)

Reaction score
I am hoping that one of these few times that I am ever wrong I would be happy about. I see your logic on that either 3g or 4g, data is data and that would never change. But I assure you that I will be bugging my local verizon reps days prior the data cap is in effect.

zadam123

Reaction score
I spoke to 6 reps asking if i upgrade from 3g -4g wil i be grandfathered in and i got 3 yes and 3 no . so take it for what its worth

Beka27

Reaction score
I spoke to 6 reps asking if i upgrade from 3g -4g wil i be grandfathered in and i got 3 yes and 3 no . so take it for what its worth

This just proves that they don't know 100%. And we're running off with random bits and pieces of info.

I still think that if VZW WANTS people to bump up to their fancy new network, they are going to HAVE to "upgrade" people from 3 to 4G with no drop of unlimited. Otherwise, folks won't make the switch. I am totally cool with my DX, so I plan to keep it til at least June 2012 (my 20 months). And 4G won't be widespread until when? 2014, 2015? If so, there will always be new 3G phones available. After awhile, they're going to be BEGGING people to "move on up"!

While I am interested in new technology, I'm not one that has to get the latest/greatest the moment it drops. I'm more interested in a device that works and one that doesn't cost a ton of $$$. With my $20/month data plan discount, I have NO INCENTIVE to change a letter of my contract. :)

Reaction score
Update for me. I was told to call up customer care (611 on your cell phone) and have them notarize your account saying you will be grandfathered into your plan when upgrading to a new 4g phone after the tier plan will be in effect. It worked, I called them up and they put a not on my account to make sure I don't get screwed. So now I can just lay back and wait for something badass to roll on in. :D