Verizon Support Confirms 3G Customers Upgrading to 4G After July 7 Can Keep Unlimited

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jun 27, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,784
    [​IMG]

We have additional, and slightly clarified, confirmation that current Unlimited Data Plan customers with Verizon will be grandfathered in, even if they upgrade to 4G later. According to a Tweet from a support representative from Verizon, if you are an existing 3G customer, and upgrade to 4G after July 7th, you will be able to keep an Unlimited Data Plan if you already have one with your 3G account. From the looks of the Twitter exchange, we have reasons to rejoice, and it would appear that Verizon may soon have a flood of customers rushing to sign up for Unlimited Data Plans before July 7th. Hopefully, that particular Verizon employee knew what they were talking about, and Verizon will live up to this. From the reports we are getting in the forums, many people have called in to Verizon themselves and are receiving similar confirmation.

Source: Droid-Life

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  2. Beardface

Beardface Active Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Not the question is, does this mean you keep unlimited for life, or only for your next device?

3. pdroid

pdroid Silver Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I have a hard time believing that you'll be able to keep unlimited indefinitely.

4. Travis798

Travis798 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I still have unlimited on my mifi even though I have upgraded devices. Granted it is from an old alltel plan but vzw let me upgrade to the mifi and keep my unlimited. I use about 10-15 gb a month on it with no throttling

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

5. Jungle King 76

Jungle King 76 Member

Ratings:
    +13
    It would have to be forever. Every time you upgrade your phone you are not signing a new contract, you are renewing your current one. The only way they could take away your unlimited minutes is if they actually cancel or terminate your contract and make you sign a new one.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

6. brad92

brad92 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +16
    If this is true, Verizon did the right thing. Its easy to use 5 gigs or more in a month without tethering.

sent from my ApeX

7. FmrBBuser

FmrBBuser New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think this is true. For instance, I have an unlimited global international
    data plan with my current BB. I just got a text from Verizon this week stating that they will no longer offer that plan. They are offering my tiered plan in place.

Can anyone confirm if an unlimited BB plan is the same as an unlimited smartphone plan? I'm planning to upgrade to the bionic is it's ever released, I just want to make sure I will be granfathered in under the unlimited data plan.

8. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +332
    My wife just got a Thunderbolt (and came to verizon on my account) and I specifically asked and yes, all future upgrades will be grandfathered in for 3g/4g service even if you don't currently have a 4g phone. Hope that guy wasn't just lying.

9. Jungle King 76

Jungle King 76 Member

Ratings:
    +13
    I don't know your specific case but a contract is just that. A contract between parties and they can't change the terms of the contract. When you sign a 2 year contract for unlimited data and then before it expires, you upgrade your device and renew or extend the contract another 2 years you are locked in. However, if your original 2 year contract passes and you do not upgrade, you automatically go to a month to month plan and the contract has been fulfilled so they can change the terms out prices as long as they give you notice.

Think of it as renting a house, you sign a least for a year and they cannot increase the rent but when that test is up and you do not enter into a new least or extend it, you are on month to month rent and they can refuse your rent anytime.

10. Jungle King 76

Jungle King 76 Member

Ratings:
    +13
    That last part was supposed to be raise not refuse.

11. DC 1127

DC 1127 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If this is true then I'm relieved. I will be able to upgrade in a couple months and i was worried that if i got a new 4g device then Id be screwed on data.

Liberated Droid 2 Gingerbread

12. kptphalkon

kptphalkon Active Member

Ratings:
    +6
    This is the best news since sliced Gingerbread.

13. funwheeldrive

funwheeldrive Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So if I wanted to upgrade to a 3g phone, my data wouldn't be unlimited?

14. volando

volando Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No. You have to have a non-blackberry (that's a different code) 3G Unlimited 29.99 plan before July 7th on your account. Then and only then do you get to keep it or upgrade it to 4G later.

15. northendtrooper

northendtrooper Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well this turns out to be a lie.
    I just got done talking to two different verizon stores and not one of the employees heard of this plan for us. So as of now, until anything is given to me in written form I am still sticking with my plan.

Search tags for this page

can you upgrade to 4g mifi and keep unlimited verizon