Verizon Support: 3G Customers Upgrading to 4G After July 7 Can Keep Unlimited Data

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Bionic' started by Preach2k, Jun 27, 2011.

1. gigabyte772

gigabyte772 New Member

Is a Samsung Rogue considered a smartphone or can I get an unlimited plan with that phone to be grandfathered in?
  2. Arkbird

Arkbird DF News Team Premium Member

I think it's a feature phone. If you want a cheap smartphone, get one off ebay or craigslist.
  3. KenjiWB

KenjiWB New Member

The rogue is not, thats actually the phone that I just upgraded from so it will not get you grandfathered in unfortunately. It is considered a feature phone
  4. Crankintopwater69

Crankintopwater69 Well-Known Member

Plz xplain-ok u got droid 2 lock n unlimited data-now when the boinic drops,what r u gonna do with the droid?-i mean u signed a 2 yr-didnt u?-seems 2 me u r gonna have 2 bills-thnk u 4 hlpin me understand.I want the unlimited.
  5. KenjiWB

KenjiWB New Member

No, I bought a used Droid off Craigslist and just swapped my phone through Verizon, my upgrade is still available through Verizon, which will extend my contract for 2 years when I get the Bionic.

Later, I'll just sell this Droid, got it for $75 and I can probably sell it for $100 lol its actually in decent condition.

EDIT

Just checked My Verizon just to be sure that the upgrade was still available and it is. Freaked me out for a second though cuz the line with the Droid on it says it isn't, but then I remember that I had Verizon use 'my' upgrade to get the wife an iPhone a couple months ago, so checking her line the upgrade is still available lol.
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  6. T_Virus

T_Virus New Member

Just wondering, I'm an existing customer on Verizon and will be moving from a Black Berry Storm 1 (9530) to a Droid Bionic but would everyone consider a Black Berry Strom 1 (9530) a smart phone or a featured phone with unlimited data feature? I'm leaning towards it's a smart phone but not too sure. hahaha...
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  7. i can read

i can read New Member

BB Storm is listed as a Smartphone on the Verizon site.
  8. Loooney2ns

Loooney2ns New Member

The big question is whether BB counts if you buy a Bionic when it comes out. I think I heard that if you switch to or from a BB, you lose your unlimited data.
  9. Crankintopwater69

Crankintopwater69 Well-Known Member

Talked with a rep 2day and she said it would work-i can use my gfriends bb smartphone 2 lock n unlimited data-so I hope she knows what she talkin about.
  10. tkuligowski

tkuligowski New Member

yes I also verifed over the phone, on twitter, and e-mail that you can have a blackberry and still be grandfathered in when you switch to a diff smartphone
  11. malicious_a

malicious_a New Member

my dad was in store yesterday and switched from a BB to the iPhone at the suggestion of the rep. The rep was saying that there hasn't been much in the way of information from corporate, but the indications are that BB users will NOT be able to be grandfathered in since they have different classifications for their data plans.

If they will allow you to be grandfathered in when the switch is made, then I kind of feel bad for my dad.

I DON'T KNOW WHO TO BELIEVE ANYMORE lol
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  12. T_Virus

T_Virus New Member

Yeah I also seen that on the website.

This is what was most of people are saying on here too.

I'm in the same boat. I guess the best thing to actually do is to go to a verizon rep and ask myself.
  13. Preach2k

Preach2k DF News Team Premium Member

Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
    You are Grandfathered in with the Blackberry. I asked when I was at the store. I have a Storm. Remember they will tell you anything to get a instant sale.
  14. malicious_a

malicious_a New Member

that's what I was thinking..its just for the sale. but, i can't feel too bad..my dad is freaking having a nerdgasm over that thing. if it makes him happy, awesome!
  15. tkuligowski

tkuligowski New Member

I can understand ur frustration! I have received diff answers myself. On twitter and email they said they got more info.from corporate and all smartphones are classified as 3g devices now on on the plan an it would be grandfathered in. I can prove what they said. I would take the word of the support teams over a salesman. What u should do is twitter Vzwsupport and get the info urself for piece of mind!
  16. omnicious

omnicious New Member

So if I have a Droid X and wait till March 2012 to upgrade to whatever great 4G phone is out then and I have unlimited 3G now I can get unlimited 4G then too? Does 4G compound on top of 3G? If I pay 80 now will I be paying 110 when I switch to 4G?
  17. spider210

spider210 Member

no you will be grandfathered
Search tags for this page
how long will 3g last after verizon goes 4g
is samsung rogue considered a smartphone
is the verizon samsung rogue a 3g or 4g?

verizon 3g to 4g grandfather

verizon won't grandfather 3g to 4g