Verizon Stores Always Install App Killers?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Garandhero, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Garandhero

Garandhero Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Why is it that Verizon stores always install App Killers on thier phones?? I went into 3 stores today, and all the new droid phones (2, x, inc.) all had app kill programs on them. I did the store a favor and uninstalled them from all the display phones, then talked to the manager about why he should stop doing that since it kills battery and ultimately slows the phone down. 2 other verizon reps joined the convo, and by the end of the talk were uninstalling the app killers from thier own phones.

I showed them the google/android site that says dont use them, and told them about these forums to get more info - but why is it they seem to always want to put these useless apps on thier phones??

2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Funny….The reason they do it is because on their website they recommend a task killer. It's sad that an entire company doesn't understand their own phone.

3. aminaked

aminaked Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Some ideas are like a cancer...an ignorance epidemic

4. sc4fpse

sc4fpse Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Not that I'm pro task killer, but considering their phones are always connected to a power supply, I think your point about killing the battery is kind of moot on the display phones. :p But it's good they know that, as I'm sure they've installed task killers on new customers' phones before.

5. Darryl Richey

Darryl Richey Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Still A bit uneducated here, but why is the Task Killer bad to have. What are the cons to it and if I don't have it on my phone how can I tell what is running in the background and then keep unneccesary apps and such from running? Just trying to keep my phone as efficient as possible. Thanks.

Darryl

6. wsbsteven

wsbsteven Member

Ratings:
    +0
    A task killer in the wrong hands can hurt battery life. People that blanket kill all those tasks and use the ATK program to kill them every couple minutes end up with less battery life. Many tasks restart when ATK kills them anyway. Only time someone should use a task killer is if they suspect a hung/buggy app and they need to close it.

7. eliassami5

eliassami5 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    this is directly from google..

8. Rated_R

Rated_R Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Its a bleed over from the blackberry. They still think battery pulls are a must on android phones as well.

9. ilikemoneygreen

ilikemoneygreen Silver Member

Ratings:
    +18
    It is so hard doing a battery pull on my phone. Ive got one of those tough cases, and man i cant get the damn thing off without breaking it. They need to improve on the design of it a tad....

10. Mean Bro Greene

Ratings:
    +0
    Funny story about this, actually. Both times I've brought a phone into my local VZW store for them to look at(First the Droid 1, then the Droid X) their only solution was a task killer. They would cite that I was running too much stuff in the background and I need to close it to keep the phone running smoothly. The last time I went, I actually got into a semi-argument with a rep over how this wasn't an appropriate solution and wasn't really going to fix anything. My problems were never related to running too many tasks, as I would always bring the phone to them after a factory reset.

11. gspmmafan

gspmmafan New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Very interesting. When I first picked up my moto droid the sales rep had my mom and I. Install an app killer in the store. I never knew until seeing this some people don't like them. I never figured the rep wouldn't know what he was talking about. So do most on this site not have one? What about having one but not using it?

12. Darryl Richey

Darryl Richey Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ya, I'm wondering if I should keep it on my phone but only use it in a very sparing manner. So the free memory that it creates when you close all the apps doesn't actually make it faster?

Darryl

Search tags for this page

do app killers hurt droid

does app killers hurt android phones
help fix droid x verizon used should i hard reboot someone installed too many apps
should you install a app killer on droid phones

verizon app killer