Verizon Store Experience

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by xrayeyes, Apr 7, 2011.

1. xrayeyes

xrayeyes New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Newbie here! I've been lurking for a bit...probably will for a bit longer. Looking to buy a Droid of some sort.

So, I head in to a Verizon store today after visiting once before to look briefly at phones. Wanted to "feel out" what the reps had to say about the Incredible 2 soon to be release.

Incredible is what I got! Not only did they not know about the Incredible 2, they tried to tell me it had been discontinued and made into the Thunderbolt! I AM NOT KIDDING!

I then tactfully told them, no it wasn't...it should be out the end of the month or shortly thereafter. They asked me where I got that info. I said, that thing called the internet... (not really, but I wanted to).

Actually, I did point them to do a google on it, and low and behold almost every site they wanted to look at was BLOCKED by Verizon, including this forum! I was kinda shocked.

I think I'll be going to another store when I'm ready to order.

2. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7+ 256gb
    Was it a Corporate store or an Authorized Dealer?

Yes, I'm following you .....

3. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +0
    Generally the in store reps are the last to know anything. Just an FYI :)

4. xrayeyes

xrayeyes New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would have thought a corporate store, but not sure. How do you tell?

And yeah, I know they are the last to know stuff, but it was REALLY bad info. If I were a decent employee, I'd be lurking this site and others like crazy.

5. him

him Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Typical. I am usually quite disappointed with sales reps. I had to activate my own xoom in store because rep couldnt find the settings. Than i set painfully and watch one chick struggle to get the back off my thunderbolt to put the battery in. I ended up just asking her to leave it and told her i would do it at home. And the icing on the cake...i watched a rep sell a guy a droid x and explain how he could video chat on it cause she users her phone to video chat with her deployed boyfriend...she hand an iphone 4.

I just do research before i go and prefer not to have a sales person talk to me.

6. illmatic636

illmatic636 Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I'm sure that the sites you tried to have then access are just blocked in general. They have a lot of younger teens working there and can't have their facebooks update throughout the day:)

7. Beka27

Beka27 Active Member

Ratings:
    +6
    My general advice to OP and everyone... ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH!!! Whether you're buying a phone, a car, or a coffee maker... There is too much good info available to blindly make decisions based on the knowledge (or lack) of paid employees who will say anything to "make the sale".

(from Beka's DX)

8. 9wire

9wire Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Friend of mine is a Rep, packin' a rooted d1, is into phone Modding as much as I am. Prolly an exception to the rule though, most of them are entry level sales drones.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

9. phreek

phreek Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ya the sales reps at any store are worthless...

Sent from my Droid

10. xrayeyes

xrayeyes New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    When you said corporate store vs authorized dealer, I was thinking "main store" vs a little hole in the wall store in a strip mall. But, I guess you meant vs a Best Buy, etc.

Are there differences in Corporate stores as far as more knowledgeable staff, more phones to offer, etc.

I will have to ask my husband which store they use now that the Alltel store has closed. He has a very old phone (which he will not part with for now) and does most of the business with Verizon over the phone.

11. takeshi

takeshi Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Prepare for a similar experience. I'm not saying that there aren't knowledgeable reps out there but nothing in the OP should have been a surprise. If these people had the experience and knowledge they wouldn't be selling phones.

This type of thread is extremely common if you bother to look around on any phone forum site.

12. Detonation

Detonation Member

Ratings:
    +6
    The reps in Verizon stores are salesman. Phone enthusiasts or not, their job is to make you buy something. They would rather you buy a phone now and guarantee your business versus telling about something coming in the future, where in that time you could go with another carrier. Not to mention that they are public Verizon representatives, meaning that can't (shouldn't) be talking about rumors or anything unofficial, at least not while on the job or as a selling point.

Search tags for this page

verizon store vs authorized dealer