Verizon stops iPhone sales after supply bought out

Discussion in 'Non-Android Smart Phones' started by Shadez, Feb 5, 2011.

1. kodiak799

kodiak799 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +294
    That meshes with speeds I've seen. Seems like AT&T average speeds mesh with peak VZW speeds, and on average probably 2x as fast. Little different tech, but 700kbps vs. 1400kbps is pretty much a crawl either way.

I suspect the IPhone 4G rumor is the HSPA+ tech that will be faster still, but still 1/3 to 1/4 the speed of LTE.

On a related note, if you own VZW stock you may want to consider unloading it before public sales are released. Forget the 100k pre-orders, if that's all VZW had in inventory I have to imagine that is quite disappointing. Everyone expect some 6M converts from AT&T, but timing is anyone's guess. It could very well end-up being 6M by year-end (and I think it will), but your taking a risk on the distribution being more back-loaded. Play it safe, sell and then buy the dip if you still think the IPhone has a big year on VZW.

2. jbg25

jbg25 Member

Ratings:
    +0

I would imagine they only set aside 100k for existing customer pre-orders... maybe that was an internal guess of how many existing customers waiting for the phone....if so clearly a mistake.

BUT... Don't forget they will not start selling to non-VZW customers for a few more days. I assume they have many many more in inventory right now that are reserved for that release. Let's see what the numbers are after that before we start judging.

3. bamaboy74

bamaboy74 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was up late lastnight and was searching google on phones. And i thought i read where the Iphone 5 will not be LTE. I could be wrong but im pretty much sure thats what i read.

4. kodiak799

kodiak799 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +294
    Hard to believe 100k is correct because even the biggest pessimist would have guess at least 2-3x that amount.

But whatever the number, there's no mistake on the inventory. It had a full day before shutting down @8EST (the AT&T launch, by comparison, ran out at 5EST). I will bet money that was always the plan - look at the "buzz" generated. The inventory number is irrelevant, basically an arbitrary number that was always going to equal however many they sold at the end of the day. It's inconceivable to me that Apple isn't capable of shipping a few million units over the next couple of weeks. Not to mention, I doubt VZW is going to turn away or make loyal customers wait - if 150k had ordered Thurs, the number would have been 150k.

100k is suprisingly disappointing no matter how you spin it. Even if they didn't "extend" it a few hours, this was the most anticipated launch in cellular history. VZW customers waiting months/years for this, and you're telling me only 100k isn't disappointing?!?

5. EgooEspada

EgooEspada Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The iPhone 5 will basically be the iPhone 4 with a A9 processor and dual GSM/CDMA chip. Not sure theres going to be much changes past that. The LTE iPhone would be the iPhone 6.

6. sweeeeet

sweeeeet Silver Member

Ratings:
    +65
    so like 2 years from now.... iphone is never a consideration for multiple reasons...wait till all these att converts realize they can't just move to another iphone every year like att... vze don't play

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

7. maxohkc

maxohkc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am a bit scared because i love android so much and just hate the iPhone, and don't want to see android end up loosing the fight... One thing we do have is that Verizon and AT&T make more money selling android phones than an iPhone

8. TRIKOTRET

TRIKOTRET Active Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Na........Android all the way baby..............dancedroid:icon_ banana:dancedroid

9. sweeeeet

sweeeeet Silver Member

Ratings:
    +65
    get an iphone if you can't make any decisions for yourself...get an android if you like options variety and brands that compete for your business on the same OS... any carrier even pre paid... android is the present and future

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

10. adsfa34

adsfa34 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    :iphone: <-----"hahaha you suck"----- dancedroid

the iphone wouldn't be so bad if it were open...but give me a break... being p0wned by itunes for the life of your phone? nope. sorry. can't do it.

11. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Ratings:
    +6
    Two things. One, please don't make what amount to personal attacks on people who buy the iPhone. We all "know it sucks". That's why most of us are sticking with our Android phones. :) Let the people who like it buy it. We'll see many of them slinking back in short order anyway.

Second, what good is a higher peak speed when nobody can use it because AT&T's network is so overburdened that nobody gets peak speeds except up in the mountains where population density is so low there are only two or three people using bandwidth allocated for two to three thousand? Or, if you live in an area referred to as a "city", twenty to thirty thousand? ;)

12. kodiak799

kodiak799 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +294
    True, but based on anecdotal evidence most Android users appear to get 500-700kbps while IPhones get 1200 on AT&T. Pretty big difference, and depending on how much people want to use their phone to, you know, actually call someone there may be some disappointed AT&T converts.

As for the whole upgrade thing, it doesn't much matter. Unless you are dumping a lot of money on phones, we will all wait for 2 years while better phones start coming out just a few months later. It's an issue of perception, and more of one with Android obviously because there are so many more phones whereas there's only one IPhone that will come out between upgrades to drool over. Probably explains the sort of schizophrenic customer satisfaction surveys we see with Android where a surprising number don't "love" their phone, certainly not like the IPhone, yet still rival IOS loyalty with comparable numbers planning to stick with Android.

I do think that a lot of people who will have LTE in the next year are going to have buyer's remorse over being locked into 3G. Even if you don't want or need LTE speeds it will still be something to look forward to with your next upgrade.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  13. plasma510

plasma510 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought one and I love it

14. kptphalkon

kptphalkon Active Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Way to troll a dead thread Jack

15. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Ratings:
    +6
    Then may I suggest you go look here? :)

iPhone Forum

Search tags for this page
did verizon quit selling iphone 5

did verizon stop selling iphone

verizon stop selling iphone

verizon stops selling iphone 5
when will verizon stop selling the iphone 4s
why did verizon stop selling galaxy s4
why did verizon stop selling iphone 5
why did verizon stop selling the iphone 4s
why did verizon stop selling the iphone 5?
why verizon stop selling iphone 5