1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Verizon stops iPhone sales after supply bought out

Discussion in 'Non-Android Smart Phones' started by Shadez, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team Staff Member Premium Member

Verizon stops iPhone sales after supply bought out

[​IMG]

Verizon found sales of its new iPhone so brisk that the company had to stop selling the phone because it ran out of inventory in less than a day.

[​IMG] Pent-up demand by Verizon customers meant the company sold out of its first shipment of around 100,000 iPhones within 17 hours on Thursday.

It marked the largest ever product launch for Verizon. The company exceeded its previous record within the first two hours of sales.

Pre-sales of Verizon's iPhone were limited to existing customers with orders pouring in until about 8 p.m., when Verizon exhausted its initial allotment of the phones.

Analysts say that first-day sales indicate that Verizon can probably expect to sell more than 11 million iPhones during 2011.

Read more: Verizon stops iPhone sales after supply bought out | AHN
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  2. kptphalkon

kptphalkon New Member

11 million lol

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my D2G
  3. Shadez

Anyone considering waiting it out and buying a VZW IPhone 4 may want to wait a little longer, speculation is that the IPhone 5 which will be 4G should be released later this year, says MSNBC.
  4. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

hmmmm….I'm not quite seeing the link for that.:( Guess I'll have to search.;)
  5. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

You tell my wife to wait...lol
    4G means little to most...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  6. Shadez

I just saw it on MSNBC's Tech Report... kinda hard to link it lol

Turn on MSNBC they repeat the same stuff all day like everyone else, so sure they will talk about it again.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  7. kptphalkon

kptphalkon New Member

4G means little, i agree, but the fifth gen icrap will supposedly be touting a 1.5 ghz proc or a apple's dual core variant of whatever is used these days...the list goes on.

8. Beardface

Beardface New Member

Unless the iPhone 5 can handle widgets and has an app drawer to keep the homescreen clean, then I'll pass

In the end, ll the phones do the same thing, and they will all be blazingly fast when I'm due for an upgrade (September) so all that will really matter to me is which device looks the best and has the best looking OS and ROM.
  9. kptphalkon

kptphalkon New Member

To me dual core is not worth investing in until the end of this or beginning of next year...

10. Beardface

Beardface New Member

Yikes, I just saw a review on CNN where a lot of tech guys are saying the Verizon iPhone is half as fast on the 3G network as AT&Ts...

Thats not good. That means that there will be more people on the VZW network spending almost half as much more time searching on the network because of slow data speeds and we're supposed to think that this won't bog down the network to a slow crawl?

Not looking forward to the next year... Going to see a noticeable dropoff in speeds...

Verizon iPhone: The reviews are in - Apple 2.0 - Fortune Tech
  11. triplecrown

triplecrown New Member

Yea youre not lying with that one. I asked my wife if she wanted to wait for IPhone 5 and was like hell no. She doesn't care about 4G or anything like that. (Coming from a dumb phone it's not really a surprise) Anyway I odered her the IPhone at 3:01 am on the 3rd like a good husband. Funny thing is I got her confirmation email saying it was shipped already and checked Fedex's website to see that it will be at our house Monday the 7th at 3 pm. I called verizon to see if this was right and the rep said that we were one of the few lucky ones that got it sent out right away. They aren't supposed to arrive for preorders until the 10th.
  12. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

100k?!? Are you kidding me? LMAO. So the prior record must have been like 20k (I thought maybe closer to 50k). I just couldn't see tens of thousands of even the most gung-ho fanboys getting up at 3AM to pre-order, but thought maybe the West Coast was strong from midnight-2AM.

Czerdrill, c'mon, lecture me on the millions and millions of pent-up demand! Bawhahahahaha

Ultimately, though, this number means nothing. Regardless of how much they had in inventory, suspending sales at the end of the day was predictable.

But if it took 14 hours to sell 100k that has to be surprising to the downside. I was guessing 400-500k. For a little perspective, the 4G sold 600k it's first day. So comparatively speaking, not a horrible number. Still, all those [allegedly] VZW customers waiting months/years for the IPhone and it's hard to believe only 100k got motivated to order Day 1.

Still doesn't mean much, though, if people are waiting for the IP5. Again, though, after all this time another 5-6 months for a phone that might not even release on VZW in June/July?
  13. kodiak799

The other funny thing....Of those 100k, at least 1000 are already for sale on EBAY. Can you say "failure to launch"?
  14. kodiak799

Reports of Android's demise have been greatly exaggerated.:icon_ banana:
  15. kodiak799

Apple said NO to that, quite clearly. They could surprise us, but past history and, if we take them at their word, says no.
  16. kodiak799

That meshes with speeds I've seen. Seems like AT&T average speeds mesh with peak VZW speeds, and on average probably 2x as fast. Little different tech, but 700kbps vs. 1400kbps is pretty much a crawl either way.

I suspect the IPhone 4G rumor is the HSPA+ tech that will be faster still, but still 1/3 to 1/4 the speed of LTE.

On a related note, if you own VZW stock you may want to consider unloading it before public sales are released. Forget the 100k pre-orders, if that's all VZW had in inventory I have to imagine that is quite disappointing. Everyone expect some 6M converts from AT&T, but timing is anyone's guess. It could very well end-up being 6M by year-end (and I think it will), but your taking a risk on the distribution being more back-loaded. Play it safe, sell and then buy the dip if you still think the IPhone has a big year on VZW.
  17. jbg25

jbg25 New Member

I would imagine they only set aside 100k for existing customer pre-orders... maybe that was an internal guess of how many existing customers waiting for the phone....if so clearly a mistake.

BUT... Don't forget they will not start selling to non-VZW customers for a few more days. I assume they have many many more in inventory right now that are reserved for that release. Let's see what the numbers are after that before we start judging.
  18. bamaboy74

bamaboy74 New Member

I was up late lastnight and was searching google on phones. And i thought i read where the Iphone 5 will not be LTE. I could be wrong but im pretty much sure thats what i read.
  19. kodiak799

Hard to believe 100k is correct because even the biggest pessimist would have guess at least 2-3x that amount.

But whatever the number, there's no mistake on the inventory. It had a full day before shutting down @8EST (the AT&T launch, by comparison, ran out at 5EST). I will bet money that was always the plan - look at the "buzz" generated. The inventory number is irrelevant, basically an arbitrary number that was always going to equal however many they sold at the end of the day. It's inconceivable to me that Apple isn't capable of shipping a few million units over the next couple of weeks. Not to mention, I doubt VZW is going to turn away or make loyal customers wait - if 150k had ordered Thurs, the number would have been 150k.

100k is suprisingly disappointing no matter how you spin it. Even if they didn't "extend" it a few hours, this was the most anticipated launch in cellular history. VZW customers waiting months/years for this, and you're telling me only 100k isn't disappointing?!?
  20. EgooEspada

EgooEspada New Member

The iPhone 5 will basically be the iPhone 4 with a A9 processor and dual GSM/CDMA chip. Not sure theres going to be much changes past that. The LTE iPhone would be the iPhone 6.
Search tags for this page
did verizon quit selling iphone 5

did verizon stop selling iphone

did verizon stop selling the iphone 5?
is the iphone 5 gonna stop selling
is verizon stop selling the iphone 4

verizon stop selling iphone

verizon stops selling iphone 5
when did verizon stop selling 64gb 4s
when will verizon stop selling the iphone 4s
why did verizon stop selling galaxy s4

why did verizon stop selling iphone 5

why did verizon stop selling the iphone 4s

why did verizon stop selling the iphone 5?
why verizon stop selling iphone 5
will verizon stop selling iphone 5