Verizon software updates ruined my Motorola Droid Bionic

Graymayre

Reaction score
Thank you, I appreciate that. So I guess the best approach at this point is to root my phone then install a new ROM?

Try factory data reset first. See how it works out. Then we will root you and experiment. Safestrap allows you to install ROMs in parallel with your stock OS so you don't actually screw it up.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

OP
L

Livin PA

Reaction score
Thanks, sorry for the long delay in my response I have been quite busy over the last few days. Right now I am doing the factory reset and tomorrow I will put my phone through it's paces at work. I will report back and let you know if it worked. Here's hoping...

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I have had similar things since the 4.1.2 update as well, and it was the same whether rooted, ROM'd, or stock (FXZ'd back to stock which is better than a mere factory reset).... anyways, it all mostly stemmed from the stock android browser. Most of the problems all were surrounding the stock browser, keyboard stutters/delays/words typing several seconds after they were actually typed, etc...webpages being stuck for excessive times... homescreen stalling or delaying mostly after browser use...you get the idea, not sure if this sounds all very sililar to your issues but what I have noticed is a huge improvement after installing and setting Dolphin browser as my default browser. I tried basically all the browsers and I noticed my Bionic improved dramatically once I stoipped using the stock browser.
Anyways, it's a suggestion.

OP
L

Livin PA

Reaction score
I have had similar things since the 4.1.2 update as well, and it was the same whether rooted, ROM'd, or stock (FXZ'd back to stock which is better than a mere factory reset).... anyways, it all mostly stemmed from the stock android browser. Most of the problems all were surrounding the stock browser, keyboard stutters/delays/words typing several seconds after they were actually typed, etc...webpages being stuck for excessive times... homescreen stalling or delaying mostly after browser use...you get the idea, not sure if this sounds all very sililar to your issues but what I have noticed is a huge improvement after installing and setting Dolphin browser as my default browser. I tried basically all the browsers and I noticed my Bionic improved dramatically once I stoipped using the stock browser.
Anyways, it's a suggestion.

Those are exactly the problems I had but the issues I had also went beyond the Browser, for the hell of it I installed Dolphin just in case the stock browser becomes buggy. So far from the little I played around with the phone it seems to work normally again since the reset. I got all my app's/settings installed so tomorrow when I am at work we will see if everything is back to normal. Keeping my fingers crossed but it seems promising..

OP
L

Livin PA

Reaction score
Sorry for the long delay in my response but it seems like the reset did the job, I have the latest software too and it seems good to go. However I had a really hectic week so I haven't used my phone much so time will tell if the issues return. At the very least the phone is usable now. Thanks.

Reaction score
If you didn't have Jelly Bean before it makes a BIG difference. Rooting and a custom ROM will further extend the life and functionality of the phone. Get rid of all the vzw bloat, ads etc... and optimize the system. But getting it running right from what you had is the first step.

OP
L

Livin PA

Reaction score
Maybe you can elaborate the process of changing up the operating system like that? My phone is working a lot better but the keyboard is still glitchy at times when typing in the browsers. I am still on the fence.

OP
L

Livin PA

Reaction score
I think I am going to use the upgrade available on my other line and purchase the Moto X after all then I will transfer it over to my current line as to maintain my unlimited data plan. I am going to wait until the holidays and see if I can snag one for $100, hopefully they will have a sale. The larger screen, improved battery life and American manufacturing of the phone are really tugging at my heart.

tyseft163

Reaction score
I like the US mfging also, and I'm sure it's a great phone, but the screen is same size as BIONIC. I would have liked it to have been slightly bigger. Probably what I'll go with also, when I'm due.

OP
L

Livin PA

Reaction score
I like the US mfging also, and I'm sure it's a great phone, but the screen is same size as BIONIC. I would have liked it to have been slightly bigger. Probably what I'll go with also, when I'm due.
I didn't get to handle one yet but the phone just seemed more substantial than my Bionic. The reviews seem to praise the battery life, would you agree?

OP
L

Livin PA

Reaction score
I highly doubt the Moto X gets better battery life than my extended battery bionic.

Maybe, maybe not but I am still running the stock battery and to upgrade to an extended battery will cost me $30 and I am still stuck with a glitchy keyboard. I am sure if I wait for Black Friday I can get a Moto X for $100 with the upgrade so I will have a better battery, a more advanced phone and a keyboard that doesn't glitch occasionally.

Reaction score
I still doubt the battery will last as long as a fresh bionic extended battery. I'm at 14 hours and still at 77%. But don't think that a brand new phone will not be glitchy either, they can be just as bad or worse than some of the older ones. And as far as being more advanced... my Bionic can run any app I want and is just as fast as the new phones because its rooted, de-bloated, zipaligned etc... IMO these phones' hardware are a good year or even two ahead of the software. I'm willing to bet if my Bionic manages to last another year that is the point where it will just start to not be able to run what I need it to.

I'm not saying don't get a new phone, you've got an upgrade to burn and you need a new phone, just saying that the Bionic is still quite viable. Also I hope you won't be losing unlimited data by upgrading, that would suck. DEFINITELY don't fall for that new crap where you put money down and then lease your phone monthly.

Last edited:

TatDroid

Reaction score
I still doubt the battery will last as long as a fresh bionic extended battery. I'm at 14 hours and still at 77%.
That's impressive, but I'm guessing that has to be with very low usage - screen time under an hour?

My extended battery Bionic would typically get me about 16 hours with pretty regularly use - 3.5 to 4 hours of screen time. My new Moto X, which is MUCH thinner, with its 2200mh battery, does a little better. I get 16 to 18 hours of usage with about 5 hours of screen time. It's still very new though, so we'll have to see how it goes over the next few weeks.