Verizon Snubs Their Nose at Customers Leaving for Cheaper Carriers

kinfolk248

Reaction score
People have been predicting the demise of VZW almost since this board was started, even longer than the prediction of "taking away your unlimited"....neither have come true, nor likely to become true in the near future, but still such predictions continue to be made like clockwork.
No one thought Sears, Motorola, GM, Kmart, RIM, etc etc could evaporate either...

kinfolk248

Reaction score
No argument, everything you said anyone will admit to. The thing that is crazy to me is that VZW is the only carrier that realized that if they spent the majority of their money on towers and bandwidth the customers would essentially show up by the boatload and throw money at them. For all of the money that TMo has (or had) globally you'd think that 10 years ago they would have put up towers like there was no tomorrow and watch as the customers flocked to their network. All they did up until 3-4 years ago was establish a reputation for spotty service that they lived up to.
While that is true, I can also tell you that A LOT of ppl in the southeast had Alltel and got bought out by Vzw which is why they are so strong down here.

Btw, the US market is only a fraction of the global share. So dont think b/c someone didnt do things here they are lagging behind. Trust me, Vzw/ATT couldnt go global with their current marketing strategy. Just imagine them trying to make it outside the US, come on now lol its laughable...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
While that is true, I can also tell you that A LOT of ppl in the southeast had Alltel and got bought out by Vzw which is why they are so strong down here.

Btw, the US market is only a fraction of the global share. So dont think b/c someone didnt do things here they are lagging behind. Trust me, Vzw/ATT couldnt go global with their current marketing strategy. Just imagine them trying to make it outside the US, come on now lol its laughable...
We were alltel up north here too. It was them or cell one I think. Vzw has done work here though since the acquisition. I was surprised when I bought the og moto droid & actually had 3g service. I still hadn't gotten 3g on my t-mobile g1 in Wichita, KS at that point, which is a decently sized city. They had it in KC, so I got a brief taste while passing through.

Sent from my Note 4

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
People have been predicting the demise of VZW almost since this board was started, even longer than the prediction of "taking away your unlimited"....neither have come true, nor likely to become true in the near future, but still such predictions continue to be made like clockwork.
I don't think anyone here is predicting or even suggesting VZW will die out. We were just discussing their recent statements. Did you read the thread? lol!

Verizon is the absolute top dog, and while they might someday lose their "king of the hill" status, I highly doubt the company will ever fall very far. Despite many worthwhile criticisms, VZW does offer quite a bit to consumers and the market needs them to exist. I simply think that some of us would love it if they would simply be less "draconian" in their tactics and attitude.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
they would simply be less "draconian" in their tactics and attitude.

Aside from locked phones and bootloaders, I don't see anything VZW does that comes close to qualifying as draconian or anti-consumer. I've always found their customer service to be excellent, and their pricing isn't that much more than the competition (a little better for some, a little worse for others). $5-$10 a month more is nothing for the superior service.

They invest more in their network and they charge more for their service. Basic business. People who like a service but really can't afford it always complain about the price, doesn't matter if it's cellphone, cable, internet or mp3's. Arguments about "it costs too much" are almost always based solely on one's wallet and little else to do with the real world.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
No one thought Sears, Motorola, GM, Kmart, RIM, etc etc could evaporate either...

None of those were particularly well-run companies. Verizon is run extremely well, which of course could change. But they're usually at the top of every customer and quality survey. The cheap hate them for obvious reasons. Everyone else is very well satisfied with them.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Aside from locked phones and bootloaders, I don't see anything VZW does that comes close to qualifying as draconian or anti-consumer. I've always found their customer service to be excellent, and their pricing isn't that much more than the competition (a little better for some, a little worse for others). $5-$10 a month more is nothing for the superior service.

They invest more in their network and they charge more for their service. Basic business. People who like a service but really can't afford it always complain about the price, doesn't matter if it's cellphone, cable, internet or mp3's. Arguments about "it costs too much" are almost always based solely on one's wallet and little else to do with the real world.

If you're referring to being locked to Verizon's network, their postpaid LTE phones aren't locked anymore and haven't been for years. :)

Bootloaders are still locked down tight though.

kinfolk248

Reaction score
We were alltel up north here too. It was them or cell one I think. Vzw has done work here though since the acquisition. I was surprised when I bought the og moto droid & actually had 3g service. I still hadn't gotten 3g on my t-mobile g1 in Wichita, KS at that point, which is a decently sized city. They had it in KC, so I got a brief taste while passing through.

Sent from my Note 4
Damn, so they bought that market too huh lmaoooo

kinfolk248

Reaction score
AFAIK, they bought our alltel completely. I know my dad had my old alltel phone & he was on vzw in Kansas as well after the takeover.

Sent from my Note 4
Yea I know some of the Midwest ppl and farmers got into a beef with Vzw and the Govt over the whole Vzw takeover and forcing digital b/c you could only get analogy signals out there. Sure those days have lapsed but still...

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
AFAIK, they bought our alltel completely. I know my dad had my old alltel phone & he was on vzw in Kansas as well after the takeover.

Sent from my Note 4

They bought out most of Alltel, not all of it (they weren't allowed to by the FCC since it would essentially result in a monopoly for them in some areas). AT&T received parts of it as did some regional carriers. Alltel was actually still around in some form or fashion through 2013 or so since It took several years for all of the mergers to go through.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
They bought out most of Alltel, not all of it (they weren't allowed to by the FCC since it would essentially result in a monopoly for them in some areas). AT&T received parts of it as did some regional carriers. Alltel was actually still around in some form or fashion through 2013 or so since It took several years for all of the mergers to go through.
Makes sense. Wasn't sure.

Sent from my Note 4

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I'm curious as to whether or not Deutsche Telecom is still trying to ditch TMobile in the U.S.? There haven't been any rumblings lately since the Softbank deal was rejected.

kinfolk248

Reaction score
I'm curious as to whether or not Deutsche Telecom is still trying to ditch TMobile in the U.S.? There haven't been any rumblings lately since the Softbank deal was rejected.
Google is going to buy them in a year after Project Fi gets to a boil...