Verizon Snubs Their Nose at Customers Leaving for Cheaper Carriers

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm still going to disagree. Snubbing their nose implies some sort of disrespect. That's not present in the statement nor is it present in the overall discussion from which that statement was pulled.

If anything, this is Verizon shrugging their shoulders over it and saying, "So what? There's nothing we could do would change the minds of those customers anyway, so why worry about it?"

Is that the right attitude to have? Maybe not publicly, but at least it's honest.
Fair enough. You make a great argument.

I would say if you take much of Verizon's past behavior regarding their customers in context with Shammo's statement, then it isn't unreasonable to infer a bit of haughtiness.

I can see it either way. ;)

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
I left Verizon not because it was cheaper to go to T-Mobile, but because I would be getting MORE for the same price. I was paying $180 a month on V for 2 smart phones with unlimited data, 2 dumb phones, 400 minutes of talking (not for each phone but us to share) and only 250 texts a month for each smart phone.

Now that I'm T-Mobile, I pay $180 for 4 smartphones, unlimited data for 2 of the phones, 2 GB of data for the other 2, and everyone has unlimited talk and text. The reception could be better, but i never had the best luck with reception on Verizon either, especially in my neighborhood where I always had to go outside to talk.

Even now, my work provides company cell phones that have Verizon, and it'll suck because i'll get an incoming call and the calls either wont come through, they'll drop after I answer, or I'll have to run outside to get a decent signal to be able to listen to the other person.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Verizon catches heat (even from myself) for being honest but they are not the only company that does that. At&t does it too to a point. Where Verizon is straight up "in your face" about it At&t try and sound nice while telling people where they can go. Unlike Verizon, At&t have to sound like they are different because they know people can walk over to T-mobile with their phones.

tedZilla99

Reaction score
I don't see this as snubbing or arrogant, I see this as them accurately stating that customers who only care about price will only care about price. I would gladly pay more for better devices and coverage, because at some point cheaper does not always equal better. There is a reason that Verizon's ads almost exclusively focus on their coverage and network and their top of the line devices - you get more long-term customers with quality. And believe me, I have my issues with them, particularly how hard it is to get a new device when you want one, and their unlimited data jihad, but I don't want to switch to another network/provider until I find one that's demonstrably better.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I left Verizon not because it was cheaper to go to T-Mobile, but because I would be getting MORE for the same price. I was paying $180 a month on V for 2 smart phones with unlimited data, 2 dumb phones, 400 minutes of talking (not for each phone but us to share) and only 250 texts a month for each smart phone.

Now that I'm T-Mobile, I pay $180 for 4 smartphones, unlimited data for 2 of the phones, 2 GB of data for the other 2, and everyone has unlimited talk and text. The reception could be better, but i never had the best luck with reception on Verizon either, especially in my neighborhood where I always had to go outside to talk.

Even now, my work provides company cell phones that have Verizon, and it'll suck because i'll get an incoming call and the calls either wont come through, they'll drop after I answer, or I'll have to run outside to get a decent signal to be able to listen to the other person.

Don't forget that Tmobile will provide a free microcell for your house if you ask them too. One of our daughters lives on the inside corner of an apartment complex and received poor service while not near a window. TMo shipped us a microcell and she has full coverage inside now.

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I didn't leave Verizon over price. I left over signal, or lack of. I happened to end up saving a bunch of dollars each month by going to T-Mobile. I left T-Mobile not over price but over signal. AT&T has much better signal, for the same price, in my entire world than Verizon and better signal than T-Mobile when I travel to the boonies of my world.
As far as the dudes statement, he's spot on with their attitude but he left out if you're I the minority of having great reception they will not do anything about that either. Sometimes the truth isn't pleasant or popular but that doesn't change its truthfulness.

kinfolk248

Reaction score
1 - Vzw doesnt have better devices, they have the same devices (actually less choice) locked to Vzw towers.
2 - Service and customer service are NOT the same thing...
3 - As I always say, Vzw literally bought the market and themselves into #1 spot, no seriously tis true...
4 - Piggbacking off #3, Vzw and ATT have a monopoly thus can inflating prices, just like Comcast... :-/
5 - Im sure if you looked at active maps you'd see the majority of Vzw/ATT customers are rural and NOT in big cities where there is actual choice of carriers offering the same for much less money...
6 - I have great cell service, BIG RED FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
7 - Let the argument begin, cus i know i just pissed someone off lol

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
7 - Let the argument begin, cus i know i just pissed someone off lol

No argument, everything you said anyone will admit to. The thing that is crazy to me is that VZW is the only carrier that realized that if they spent the majority of their money on towers and bandwidth the customers would essentially show up by the boatload and throw money at them. For all of the money that TMo has (or had) globally you'd think that 10 years ago they would have put up towers like there was no tomorrow and watch as the customers flocked to their network. All they did up until 3-4 years ago was establish a reputation for spotty service that they lived up to.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
1 - Vzw doesnt have better devices, they have the same devices (actually less choice) locked to Vzw towers.

That's actually a thing of the past with LTE devices. Per an agreement made with the FCC several years ago to purchase some of their LTE spectrum, Verizon's LTE devices are SIM unlocked right out of the box. Which other networks those devices will work with depends on the cellular bands included in the device. Most of Verizon's LTE devices have GSM bands that are compatible with most GSM carriers with up to HSPA+ speeds. Several of Verizon's LTE devices have LTE bands that are compatible with the LTE networks of other carriers.

I've used several of my Verizon LTE devices on AT&T and T-Mobile (as well as with several international carriers while abroad) without any problems.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
In reference to,
"5 - Im sure if you looked at active maps you'd see the majority of Vzw/ATT customers are rural and NOT in big cities where there is actual choice of carriers offering the same for much less money... "
@kinfolk248 makes a great point that there are many areas of the country where it is arguable that Verizon is better than the competition. For example, My Sprint service has worked better for me in several different cities than my mom's Verizon service in those same cities. I consistently get better cell service, and stronger 4G LTE for data than she does.

She has experienced more dropped calls and more places with spotty LTE service than I have in the following cities: Las Cruces, Alamogordo, Oklahoma City, Austin, Cedar Park, & Leander. Now obviously this experience may vary for some folks, but I cannot ignore the evidence I have experienced first hand.

Also, that's not to say she gets poor service, it's simply that she has experienced more issues than I have. Furthermore, there were several moments where we were both surprised I was getting "more bars" and better 4G LTE speed than she was. Overall, she is still quite happy with Verizon, and I can't fault her for that.

Finally, when traveling to more rural areas and across rural highways, that flip-flops and Verizon's service becomes much stronger. Big Red simply has far more towers strewn across the country than anyone else.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
People have been predicting the demise of VZW almost since this board was started, even longer than the prediction of "taking away your unlimited"....neither have come true, nor likely to become true in the near future, but still such predictions continue to be made like clockwork.

boidsonly

Reaction score
I agree with them up to a point. The thing that makes me have no problem leaving VZW isn't their price. It's their attitude regarding devices. With my non-VZW Nexus 6 they keep disabling VoLTE every week or so after I reactivate it. When I call they tell me to buy a VZW branded Nexus 6. There's just no point in being that way especially regarding the N6 on their network.

So at this stage in our relationship they teeter on that fine line where device selection and service meet. I've tried the competition and they should be acutely aware that the other networks may not have the coverage density that they have, but they are extremely viable choices in large cities.

The FCC would probably enjoy hearing from you. The least you can do is cause VZW to respond to the FCC; it always makes for a carriers' grief.