verizon signal extender

n813ca

Reaction score
first of all the people that say it will only work 50 feet away. That's not true. if you read the instructions you have to be 50 feet away the first time you sync and then after that it goes up to 5000 feet. i got one for $99 and I am very happy. The only thing I have to ask if it is normal is.... My signal will be 1 bar until I am on a phone call and then will go up to full bars. Is this normal for the extender?

MarkB

Reaction score
Yes that's normal. Mine does the same thing. It's not actually "synced", it simply connects every time you initiate or answer a call. That's the little tone you hear when you dial or answer. And it does have to be fairly close at the start of each call, not just for one time. Still the distance is fine for most homes, and then once it's connected for the call you can indeed move farther away. Not 5000 feet though, that's almost a mile, lol. I think you might be confusing linear feet with square feet.

greyghost04

Reaction score
My house has been a dead zone for every carrier I've ever used. Bought the extender for $161 from Verizon on a sale (where did you get it for $99?). It works flawlessly. Entire house, including basement is 4-5 bars now. Do you know Sprint charges a monthly fee for this. Guess I'll be with Verizon as long as I live in this house:icon_ banana:.

OP
N

n813ca

Reaction score
Yeah I meant sq. Feet thanks. Online Verizon for $99

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
One way to check your range is by dialing #48. You should get a repeating message saying that you're under extended network coverage.

To the OP, I called Verizon when I installed my network extender with that very question and during the call I realized that was the clearest call I had ever had on a cell phone. He said what MarkB said and gave me the #48 number.

Last edited:

greyghost04

Reaction score

Wow, went to Verizon and it is $99 AR. That's a steal! Anyone thinking about this, don't hesitate. It gives you whole house coverage at 4-5 bars. Data is not 3G but it is fast. If you have wi-fi coverage in your house than that doesn't even matter. :motdroidhoriz:

BlueSami

Reaction score

Wow, went to Verizon and it is $99 AR. That's a steal! Anyone thinking about this, don't hesitate. It gives you whole house coverage at 4-5 bars. Data is not 3G but it is fast. If you have wi-fi coverage in your house than that doesn't even matter. :motdroidhoriz:

er its in the check out!

STIDRIVER

Reaction score
My problem with the NE is my VOIP sucks a lot of the time (I have Comcast)... MY ups/downs are fine and surfing is fast... But speedtests for VOIP are crappy at peak times.. and call quality suffers. Even though I still have full bars when this happens, calls are choppy.... I need to stop procrastinating and call Comcast....

robbo323

Reaction score
Are they unloading these at half price in anticipation of a newer model coming out? I recall seeing something in Engadget a couple months ago about a new network extender being developed for Verizon that would boost call signal AND 3G data.

greyghost04

Reaction score
Are they unloading these at half price in anticipation of a newer model coming out? I recall seeing something in Engadget a couple months ago about a new network extender being developed for Verizon that would boost call signal AND 3G data.

Absolutely that is coming out soon. It will be $250 or more. You don't need 3G though if you have wi-fi in your house. It would be redundant and slower.

greyghost04

Reaction score
My problem with the NE is my VOIP sucks a lot of the time (I have Comcast)... MY ups/downs are fine and surfing is fast... But speedtests for VOIP are crappy at peak times.. and call quality suffers. Even though I still have full bars when this happens, calls are choppy.... I need to stop procrastinating and call Comcast....

It took me a year of Comcast calls to get my system perfect. Every repair guy had a different idea of how to fix it. Now I get 21mps and clear signal.

STIDRIVER

Reaction score

It took me a year of Comcast calls to get my system perfect. Every repair guy had a different idea of how to fix it. Now I get 21mps and clear signal.

Did you just call and bug them that your VOIP quality sucks? Verizon techs hinted that Comcast would more than likely try to get my to pay for a higher speed.....

STIDRIVER

Reaction score

Absolutely that is coming out soon. It will be $250 or more. You don't need 3G though if you have wi-fi in your house. It would be redundant and slower.

Agreed... totally useless... If your home, your on wifi.. if you don't have wifi, you should :)

Leonard Wong

Reaction score
I don't think it matters if Comcast does VoIP filtering. The Network Extender requires that your router support VPN, so I suspect that the NE is actually performing an VPN connection back to their network then connecting the call. This should protect it from VoIP filtering by Comcast.