Verizon Should Drop the "Droid" Branding

npro1464

Reaction score
I think it's long overdue. Frankly, it bothers me the most because people call all Android phones "Droids." Someone mint say, "Oh cool, is that a Droid?" and I have to explain to them that it is an HTC Thunderbolt running Googles Android operating system and that George Lucas doesn't get paid royalties when Verizon sells them. Then I get an, "Oh.." and a look of disappointment, as if my phone would have been cooler if it had been "a Droid" :icon_rolleyes:

And today, they have countless phones labelled as "Droids" and usually the labeling is arbitrary and has nothing to do with how good the phone is. The Charge was a dud and was definitely worse then the Thunderbolt, but Verizon nonetheless gave the Charge the Droid labelling. The Razr and Bionic can't hold a match to the Galaxy Nexus, but both are "Droids" while the Nexus is not. "Droid" phones arent different in appearance, look or feel in any way. HTC "Droids" run the same Sense and Motorola "Droids" run the same Blur overlays that their other phones do. So, what's the point?

To me, "Droid" will always be the original Motorola Droid that first came out in Nov 2009. I'll never forget the iPhone attack ad campaign and the mysterious ads that preceded the phone. The backlit slider keyboard, the rugged design, Vanilla Android is what I think of when I hear "Droid" being used in reference to a phone.

Unfortunately, the word is probably a cash cow for Verizon. As always, they are praying on stupid consumers who are too ignorant to comprehend that "Droid" phones are just Android with "Droid" in front of their name. A consumer may seek to have a "Droid" and find that Verizon is the only one that sells them!!! :icon_rolleyes:

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You're right, a big, huge, cash cow for VZW/Motorola, its all about marketing, always has been, always will be, something we all know that works cause Apple is the best at it cause the general consumer group falls for it all.

As much as I would like to see it dropped as well, its just not going to happen...

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i just say yes, it is a droid and move on with my day :)

because if they know my phone is the nexus then they wouldn't ask, and if they don't know, then me explaining anything isn't gonna make a difference

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

because if they know my phone is the nexus then they wouldn't ask, and if they don't know, then me explaining anything isn't gonna make a difference

+1, if they have to ask, they are likely no interested in really knowing that awesomeness and goodness that your phone is over [the phone that shalt not be named]. lol

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
The really sad thing is even some of the people working at VZW corporate stores call all android phones Droids. Guy was showing me his Gnex before launch and was calling it a Droid. Had to grin and smile and then cringe when I walked away.

Tap'd from my G'Nex

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The really sad thing is even some of the people working at VZW corporate stores call all android phones Droids. Guy was showing me his Gnex before launch and was calling it a Droid. Had to grin and smile and then cringe when I walked away.

Tap'd from my G'Nex

when i went in on launch day, the guy didn't know what phone i was looking at until i told him

but that was expected lol

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Droid branding works, so why drop it?

Verizon and its silly "Droid" campaign did more for the Android platform than anything had up to that point. I honestly think if it weren't for "DROID DOES", Android wouldn't be where it is today.

Yes, it's getting a bit old. But it continues to add a "cool" factor to Android that the kiddies like.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Droid branding works, so why drop it?

Verizon and its silly "Droid" campaign did more for the Android platform than anything had up to that point. I honestly think if it weren't for "DROID DOES", Android wouldn't be where it is today.

Yes, it's getting a bit old. But it continues to add a "cool" factor to Android that the kiddies like.

+1, tis also a good point, it did help launch android into the general consumer line

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I like the "Droid" branding. They should keep it. Besides not all android devices get the brand only flagship devices that vzw endorses and can fill with bloatware :icon_ devil:.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C

Tap'd from my G'Nex

What's the big deal? Why should anyone bother to know all about what they do for a living? I mean if you tell your doctor that your foot hurts and then he starts looking in your ear, I see no problem with that!:p

bigkhan

Reaction score

++1 people who know the difference are the minority.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

+1

I like the Droid lineup, Droid sounds cool to me. The only thing I don't like about it are the over-the-top commercials that have absolutely nothing to do with the phone itself. If people want to call every Android phone a Droid then that's fine. The Droid lineup put Android on the map so I can't imagine the name going away anytime soon.

jdroid80

Reaction score
+1

I like the Droid lineup, Droid sounds cool to me. The only thing I don't like about it are the over-the-top commercials that have absolutely nothing to do with the phone itself. If people want to call every Android phone a Droid then that's fine. The Droid lineup put Android on the map so I can't imagine the name going away anytime soon.

Agree. People know Droids. Most don't know Galaxy Nexus 1, 2, S, or whatever version they're on now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Reaction score
Yea it bugs me when people are like you i have a Droid and they have the thunderbolt. I say you have an Android platform phone not a Droid. Droid is a series of phones

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I, for one, couldn't care less what Verizon or anyone else calls the Android phones. If calling all of them Droids helps to expand the Android base, then fine with me. My Inc2 is branded a Droid, but I have never referred to it as a Droid. To me, it is an Incredible 2, period. If someone want to call it a Droid, fine. If he wants to call it an Incredible 2, fine. Anything but calling it an iPhone. Now that I think of it, half of the population would call it an iPhone if it were not for the Droid brand. Just like everyone used to call my Southwind motorhome a Winnebago or all tissues a Kleenex. We should thank Verizon for differentiating Android phones from the iPhone. It just amazes me how people get irritated by the most insignificant things.