Verizon Set to Reveal Multiple 4G Smartphones and Tablet at CES

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon-loves-android.jpg

According to The Wall Street Journal, Verizon's presence at CES will be "unusually heavy." Reports indicate that Verizon will announce multiple new devices, including more than one 4G capable smartphone, and a 4G capable tablet, from manufacturers' Samsung HTC, Motorola, LG, and others. One of those devices is expected to be the HTC Incredible HD, aka, HTC Thunderbolt. Furthermore, it's likely they will show off the Android tablet that Motorola has been teasing recently, and a General Motors car with a Verizon network based OnStar system!

This stuff looks pretty exciting. Stay tuned all week for more details as the show progresses!

Source: MobileBurn
by dgstorm

Darkseider

Reaction score
All I want is a dual core LTE handset to be announced for End of Month shipping. I don't care if it is HTC, Moto or LG. I want dual core POWER!!! It will complement my Viewsonic GTab nicely! I can then combine the two like Voltron and it the finished device will become sentient and start SkyNET. WOOHOO! Fun times!

electric6

Reaction score
Dear HTC,

Please include a qsdm8660 in your new thunderbolt, or i will cry, and motorola and LG will take the dual-core prize.

Love,

electric6

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
As much as I would like to have a 4G phone (since we have 4G here in Nashville:icon_ banana:) until I see something about pricing I'm in no hurry. If they adopt anything like the pricing they have for the 4G modems I'll pass.... I'm not a 'heavy' data user (really just basic work related use) but it would not be justifiable at the ridiculous 4G modem prices...

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^Would be nice. I know I sound like a broken record but I want some more dual cores out to do some comparisons with the Tegra 2.

Unless Tegra 2 is gonna be a baseline and all the phone manufactures are gonna go with it for the first gen dual core phones. If thats the case then it doesnt matter.

DaWolf85

Reaction score

electric6

Reaction score
They both support LTE in the CDMA standard, in addition to big red flavors of 3G and evdo. The 8660 has a maximum clock rate of 1.2ghz, so would prob be 1ghz for best battery performance. Speculation of course, but the timeline makes perfect sense to me. And this was back in June!!

electric6

Reaction score
Ill bet a million space credits(laugh!) that the 8660 is in the thunderbolt:

Qualcomm MSM8260 and MSM8660 - Qualcomm MSM8260 and MSM8660 shipped to HTC -- Ubergizmo

Those both support LTE, right?

Check that - they don't come out of the box with LTE support, that would be 4th-gen.
However, I'm sure HTC could rig something up, just as they would have to with any other chip.

Oh snap, yeah I see that now.

DaWolf85

Reaction score
It's certainly possible that the 8660 is in the Thunderbolt, however, because of what I just noticed while trolling the Wikipedia page for Snapdragon chipsets.

Snapdragon MSM7230 - Released Q2 2010. By Q4, HTC utilizes it in the G2.
Snapdragon MSM8255 - Released Q2 2010. By Q4, HTC utilizes it in the MyTouch 4G and the Desire HD.

Snapdragon MSM8260 and MSM8660 - Released Q3 2010. It is now Q2 2011.
That's a two-quarter timeframe for HTC's latest phones. It has now been around three quarters since the dual-cores were released. Understandable, a quarter year delay for one of the first dual-core phones.
I don't think HTC would miss this opportunity. I really don't. They have the chipsets, they've had time to put them in, what more do they need? Hugs and kisses or something?

electric6

Reaction score
It's certainly possible that the 8660 is in the Thunderbolt, however, because of what I just noticed while trolling the Wikipedia page for Snapdragon chipsets.

Snapdragon MSM7230 - Released Q2 2010. By Q4, HTC utilizes it in the G2.
Snapdragon MSM8255 - Released Q2 2010. By Q4, HTC utilizes it in the MyTouch 4G and the Desire HD.

Snapdragon MSM8260 and MSM8660 - Released Q3 2010. It is now Q2 2011.
That's a two-quarter timeframe for HTC's latest phones. It has now been around three quarters since the dual-cores were released. Understandable, a quarter year delay for one of the first dual-core phones.
I don't think HTC would miss this opportunity. I really don't. They have the chipsets, they've had time to put them in, what more do they need? Hugs and kisses or something?

Exactly. With the thunderbolt most likely launching no later than february, and the evo shift 4g launching half way through next month(check bgr) these chipsets have been in htc's r&d department for months. They are ready. And the desire hd launched before they were ready, which explains why it got the upgraded single core. If I'm wrong about this one I will be surprised to say the least.