Verizon Samsung update (not OTA)

trail_guy

Reaction score
I follow Samsung update on twitter and the last few days thay have been putting out updates. How do you tell what region you are in? I am hoping that this means update may be soon.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
What part of the world do you live in? The updates have only been for European customers, nothing for USA yet.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
The updates have been released for the International version and not all of those have been updated yet. Any other model of S4 will depend on your carrier. If it's Verizon they're typically the last to release.

OP
T

trail_guy

Reaction score
I can't find the sch-1545 update I saw but this is what they are posting.I live in ca /Verizon just want to understand what to look for in the posts looking forward to a update. Thanks New GT-I8262 Firmware! Region: INS, Version: I8262XXAMG2 (4.1.2), Date: 03.07.2013 : Latest Firmwares | Samsung Updates Enjoy!

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can't find the sch-1545 update I saw but this is what they are posting.I live in ca /Verizon just want to understand what to look for in the posts looking forward to a update. Thanks New GT-I8262 Firmware! Region: INS, Version: I8262XXAMG2 (4.1.2), Date: 03.07.2013 : Latest Firmwares | Samsung Updates Enjoy!

Hey Trail,

Verizon is the last carrier typically to release the update. This is for a few reasons, most of which aren't all bad. Verizon has the most expensive yet robust network in the US. The sink tons and tons of cash into their network. As a result they have a very strict "network certification" process that has to be done each time there is a release of a new hardware device (phone, aircard, etc.) or a major software release (OTA). So, once it is available your phone should let you know.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
OK thanks.

Actually what Mandy said isn't entirely limited to Verizon. All the carriers, on subsidized phones, have their own custom bloatware they need to make certain works with the new release. Because of the potential for poor interaction with other installed apps the testing takes time and the last thing they WANT to do is release their modified version and have it brick your phone.

jstwondrng

Reaction score
Actually what Mandy said isn't entirely limited to Verizon. All the carriers, on subsidized phones, have their own custom bloatware they need to make certain works with the new release. Because of the potential for poor interaction with other installed apps the testing takes time and the last thing they WANT to do is release their modified version and have it brick your phone.

Yes, and to add... carriers would rather have customers complain about the delay of updates than to rush out a new ota and have to fix potential issues. It's a pain, but be patient.

J

GVLBob

Reaction score

I just completed the installation of the Software Upgrade Assistant software for my PC, the download of the update to my computer, and finally the installation of that update to the S4. I only timed the last part, which took 14 minutes from start to reboot.

The status bar is now transparent and there is updated firmware for the stock Camera app. It also went through a process of optimizing the apps.

I took a very quick look at the Camera app, but didn't see any major changes.

I set the animations back to 1X and the phone feels pretty snappy even with those settings. No problems opening any of my apps.

It looks like my Available Storage actually increased with the update. Before it was 7.72 GB and it's now 7.85 GB.

Certain apps can now be moved to the SD card via the application manager as was shown in the DroidLife news item. This is exactly the same process as in the old Android days.

OP
T

trail_guy

Reaction score
well I had a feeling !! just got done with upgrade. look nice and clean with new bar.