verizon s4 stock TW 4.3 rooted ... having a problem updating to nc5

zero7404

Reaction score
I've got the stock TW mk2 build on my s4 and I'm having trouble getting it to sucessfully install the nc5 update. I'm trying to update via the OTA.

The problem is basically an error during the installation of the update, my phone boots back up then I get the message that the phone was not updated sucessfully. I'm not sure whether there's an error number associated with this, but my phone does show the "Samsung Custom" splash screen with the unlocked symbol when I restart it.

I've been out of touch with roms, rooting and such, so I'm looking for some guidance on how to get back into this. I want to just install the latest update and I don't mind losing root.

can anyone please assist ?

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
Hi zero! I'm not a technician, but if I understand you correctly you're saying that you rooted your S4 but then tried at a later time to install an OTA update - right? That is probably the root of your problems (no pun intended). You *never* want to accept an OTA update on a rooted phone. In fact, if you've installed a custom recovery (like Clockwork Mod) it probably wouldn't install anyway - but here's the thing, you're inviting your phone to go into bootloops by even attempting such a thing. All that being said, I don't personally have an answer for your problem, but we have quite a few experts hanging out, so if you can hang on for awhile, we'll get you some help. :)

OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score
whatever the reason is, I don't know either. I tried to do it in Kies 3 and it successfully updated the phone to 4.4.2. When it loaded the software on the phone, the phone was put into download mode. So it seems in download mode I had success with the update.

Ntimid8ter

Reaction score
All you have to do is install the Verizon software and use the repair tool, it will automatically install Kitkat. I had same problem and did it to mine and 4 other phones, now just waiting for someone to get a root for Kitkat.:icon_ lala:

bryantjopplin

Reaction score
Well first off, you probably had a mdk bootloader with a mk2 rom installed. Updating via phone with a custom recovery will never work. The reason why kies works is because it literally flashes everything because download mode is an Odin tar install which most likely overwritten your loki bootloader with one that can't be loki'd. Then wrote new recovery, basebands, and rom.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk